International Bumpies

Anyone have a leased car in the us and take it with them?

Called my lease company today to ask them to write me a letter so I can take my car with me when we move from the US to Canada....they told me no.  I totally though it wan't going to be an issue.  Was anyone actually able to take their leased car with them?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone have a leased car in the us and take it with them?

• We actually tried to do that with our financed car when we moved down to New Zealand, and Toyota Canada said no as well.

We were forced to *give* our beloved Corolla to my ungrateful and complaining brother-in-law who hasn't given us any money, but just taken over the financing.  We lost $15K Cdn on the deal for 2 years of ownership.

Sorry to paint a sad tale to you - but I think it might be a territorial thing - for some reason car financing/leasing companies get completely freaked out at international moves.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it has something to do with the fact that it's 1,000,000,000 times harder to get the car back and the money back if you decide not to pay. The banking systems are different and so it the legal system. They're just protecting their butts. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, this doesn't really surprise me.

I am not able to take out a loan to consolidate my student loans and lower my payment since I'm living outside the US.  My parents also wanted to take our life insurance on me (they are cosigners on my loans--not as bad as it sounds!) and weren't able to because I live outside the US.

For the loans I'm guessing it would just be too easy for me to not pay and they would have no way to get the money..not sure about why for the life insurance, but with the car I'm guessing it's the same deal.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had to pay off my car loan before I could take it from the US to the Caribbean. I think the reasons the PP gave are why. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Your contract will almost certainly not allow you to do this.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I think it depends on who the finance company is. DH was able to take his vehicle overseas due to his military orders.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• all though we get our paychecks from the same man "uncle sam" the military gets a lot more leniency then us government employees over seas. My husband has orders but they are us government and the lease company doesn't care.  I called the lease company more then 6 times hoping to get someone to give me the letter to take my lease out of the country. I know I am a pain

Traded my lease in today for a new car.  Early termination on the lease was only $741 and the value and residual were to my favor so no neg debt going into the new car. Still amazes me that US Bank will let loans go out of the country but not leases

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"