Natural Birth

I'm sure this has been asked before but since I can't get the search feature to work..

What are good questions to ask when interviewing a doula? Even though this will be my 3rd child, it is DH's first and he's EXTREMELY nervous about being able to be a good coach, so I would like to take some of the pressure of of him a bit. So we decided to get a doula, but I've never used one before..I'm not sure what questions I should be asking.

Re: I'm sure this has been asked before but since I can't get the search feature to work..

• Cost

Training

Number of births attended

What her services include

What is her philosophy on birth

How does she view her role in the birth

And I think the key thing with a doula is asking how she feels about different interventions that may be important to you.  Some doulas are so anti-intervention that they may try to talk you out of things and overstep boundaries during the birth.  You want to make sure you have someone who will respect your decisions and allow you to remain in control of your birth while still being an advocate for your choices.  If during the interview process you get the feeling that the doula is extremely anti something that is important to you, you may want to make it clear about how you feel and also ask what she would do if you made the choice to _________ (get the epi, request an episiotomy, etc.)

• I love the part of although she is an advocate, letting me stay in control of my birth. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks! Smile

• Loading the player...
  • What pp said--the same kinds of things, honestly, that I would want to ask an OB or MW.  Their views on the birth process and common interventions, when they feel they're appropriate and how they handle patients requesting them.  Another thing to consider--birth can be a very personal and spiritual experience for some people, so I would be sure that the doula's views were neutral or didn't come into play, or that they mesh with yours.  (I have a friend who used a Christian doula who prayed with her, and while that's awesome if you're a believer, it would be very awkward if you weren't!)  I think you'll probably get a good sense in just talking whether the two of you will mesh well or not--follow your instincts!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"