Success after IF
Options

follow up to weaning question

So, did you feel guilty or sad or anything about cutting off DB#1 in order to conceive DB#2?  I feel a little bad just thinking about it... I know if I didn't want to TTC again soon, I would probably let him nurse for a few more months.

And did you find you were able to soothe your babies just as well without the boob by the time you weaned?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Philo

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.
Some charts AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore

Re: follow up to weaning question

• Options
    I had a lot of guilt over it but DD didnt seem to care much.  She took a bottle just fine and she actually stopped nursing before I was ready.  I wanted to keep our once a day session for a few weeks but she refused me 3 nights in a row.  Then I got pregnant the first cycle after weaning so I have tried to make peace with my decision that it was the right one.  I achieved my initial goal of 6 months of EBFing and our last session was at 7.5 months.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    It was way harder on me then it was on DS! I cried a few times - especially after my very last nursing session. DS never even skipped a beat. As long as he was getting his milk, he didn't care where it was coming from. I can still soothe hm just as well. I definitely felt so guilty about it, but really DS could have cared less. (((((hugs)))))
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I ended up weaning DS earlier than I had planned because he was such a terrible nurser - he just wanted to sit up and look around, had no desire to eat.  It was much easier to give him a bottle so he would eat and be able to look around.  It was a little sad, but I was getting so frustrated trying to nurse him it was almost a relief!  Then I got pg right away, and now DS is 3 and DD is 2 and they are best friends - I think giving him a sibling was definitely more important to him in the long run than how long I BF'd.  

And DS was never soothed by nursing.  He just has never been a good eater (wasn't then, still isn't now), so it wasn't something that made him calm down.  He was much happier with his paci! 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, I felt guilty weaning DS2 mostly because I had wanted to nurse til age 1 with DS1 and he quit on me. So when DS2 was quite content to continue our nursing relationship at age 15 mo I did feel bad that I was the one to stop it.

However today I took the boys to the mall and was thinking about your post still. While I do sometimes miss nursing, it is very liberating not having to worry about it anymore and plan my excursions around it.  A mixed blessing I guess. :)

I had DH do the bottles when we finally switched so that there wouldn't be the attempt to still nurse, so I guess DH was the one doing the soothing then.  

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh yes, I feel very guilty about weaning Chloe. She is transitioning well but I know she would much rather nurse :(  We are continuing to have 1-2 nursing feedings a day but I'm wondering if that is what is keeping me from getting my period back- it has been 8 days since my last prometrium pill and nothing. I think I will feel better about this decision if and when I get pregnant again.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did a little, but I'd already transitioned all but one bottle a day to regular milk...so it was really just giving up our morning nursing session and giving a bottle of BM instead and I had enough frozen to last another 2 weeks so that helped.  DS never seemed to notice or care.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    Wow, guys. Thanks for all your stories. It's a lot of great ideas to use!

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore
  • Options

I'm late on this, but I'm the same as everyone else.  I struggled with the guilt of stopping way more than it affected DS!  I really wanted to BF for at least a year, but due to our insurance changing in Jan, we needed to get a cycle in this year.  I kept telling myself I was making the best decision for our family and that i did a great job, but I felt like I was "cheating" DS out of an experience for a sibling that may or may not come (if that makes sense).  And if we are blessed with # 2, that will be our last child and my plan would be extended BFing, so I feel bad that one child will get extended BF and one won't.

Like others, DS was pretty much strictly on bottles of BM by the time we stopped.  Once he became mobile, he wasn't a fan of sitting still for more than 5 minutes!  He never noticed or cared that we were done.

I will say that now that I'm cycling, I don't think about the BF decision anymore.  DS and I still snuggle.  We read more books together.  And I won't lie - I'm enjoying having a little more freedom with not being tied to a pump schedule...and having a glass of wine is very nice!

TTC since April 2009 dx = PCOS; TTC History for DS - A FET miracle after 7 IUIs; 2 fresh transfers, and 1 other FET resulted in BFNs. Hoping and Praying for baby #2: Cycle 1 - FET; November 2012 BFN Next Steps - who knows? Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesteveandkim2:
    I'm late on this, but I'm the same as everyone else.nbsp; I struggled with the guilt of stopping way more than it affected DS!nbsp; I really wanted to BF for at least a year, but due to our insurance changing in Jan, we needed to get a cycle in this year.nbsp; I kept telling myself I was making the best decision for our family and that i did a great job, but I felt like I was "cheating" DS out of an experience for a sibling that may or may not come if that makes sense.nbsp; And if we are blessed with 2, that will be our last child and my plan would be extended BFing, so I feel bad that one child will get extended BF and one won't.
    Like others, DS was pretty much strictly on bottles of BM by the time we stopped.nbsp; Once he became mobile, he wasn't a fan of sitting still for more than 5 minutes!nbsp; He never noticed or cared that we were done.
    I will say that now that I'm cycling, I don't think about the BFnbsp;decision anymore.nbsp; DS and I still snuggle.nbsp; We read more books together.nbsp; And I won't lie I'm enjoying having a little more freedom with not being tied to a pump schedule...and having a glass of wine is very nice!
    nbsp;

Thanks! I feel better now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"