International Bumpies

Question about weight gain. What is considered normal?

Hola!

What is considered normal weight gain for pregnancy in your host country? Did your Dr. give you a hard time about your weight?

I always saw that you are supposed to gain between 20-35 pounds if you started with a normal BMI.

I had a normal BMI (although it was quite close to being a low BMI) before getting pregnant. So far, I have gained about 24 pounds. I didnt think it was a big issue considering that I never had M/S and that I am hungry 24/7. Well, the Dr. had a fit yesterday and told me that I already reached the limit even though I probably had about 8 weeks left.

I dont understand how there is a huge difference between what is considered normal weight gain between the two countries. I eat super healthy just bigger portions than before.

Thoughts???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about weight gain. What is considered normal?

• They don't weigh you here. I started out about 20 lbs overweight and the only reason I know how much I've gained (more than you BTW) is because I weighed myself. When I asked my midwife if I should be concerned, she got really annoyed with me for weighing myself. She said there's no 'normal' for this and as long as I'm feeling good and eating (relatively!) healthy, there's no reason to be alarmed. My blood pressure, sugar levels, iron levels are all fantastic so she said to just carry on as I am and not weigh myself anymore.

Coming from the states where this is discussed a lot, I was pretty shocked (particularly since I spent the last 2 years losing 50lbs in preparation for being pregnant and was very focussed on seeing what happened) but honestly, there's not much I can do, I apparently just gain weight easily. Interestingly, I weighed myself again yesterday and I haven't gained anything in the last month so maybe I just put it all on in 2nd trimester and then it stays the same? Either way, no one here (except me!) cares!

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • imagePittPurple:

They don't weigh you here. I started out about 20 lbs overweight and the only reason I know how much I've gained (more than you BTW) is because I weighed myself. When I asked my midwife if I should be concerned, she got really annoyed with me for weighing myself. She said there's no 'normal' for this and as long as I'm feeling good and eating (relatively!) healthy, there's no reason to be alarmed. My blood pressure, sugar levels, iron levels are all fantastic so she said to just carry on as I am and not weigh myself anymore.

That is an awesome outlook!!

I get weighed every appointment. Last night I went to talk to the high risk dr at the university clinic and was not expecting to have to go through the normal appt procedure (BP check, urine, weight). I had eaten a big dinner and drank 1/2 a liter a tea before I left the house, plus it was the evening, so I had put on 3 kg in the 2ish weeks since my last appt. :-(

Anyway, with DD and this pregnancy I didn't start gaining until I was about 20 weeks, but then the kilos came/come quickly. Neither of my OBs nor my MW ever said anything about it to me. My MW did warn me that I shouldn't lose weight too quickly after birth, though, because the toxins stored in fat cells can be released into the milk. I have no idea if that's true, but the weight came off very quickly without me making any effort and I wasn't going to stop it... 

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • My doctor in Spain never commented on my weight that I can remember. I don't even remember how much I gained though. Actually at the beginning my public ob did say I would have to be careful because I was already overweight and am a big girl. But there are reasons I didn't stay with that ob till the end!

Here I can't say yet but my ob was a little confused why I hadn't gained any weight at 18 weeks...I think I will put on a lot in the third trimester though.

I really like the idea of not being weighed. Kind of like how I liked not having internals until I was in labour with dd. Nothing to discourage or give false hope.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I gained 32 lbs, more than I would have liked, but they didn't say anything to me (Germany).

In the states the reccomendation is 25-35, I am not sure what it is here. I started at a healthy weight and lost it all. If you are eating healthy and getting some exercise, that is all that matters, IMO.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I don't know if there is a recommended weight gain amount here. Even when I was high risk no one weighed me. I was all baby and only weighed 5lbs more after having DS than I did before DS.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am back in the US and most of what I've read has said 15-20 lbs since I started out overweight. So far I'm down 5 lbs so my OB hasn't mentioned it except to make sure I'm eating!

Another question, do they routinely screen for GD in your host country?

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • I took the 1 hour test once and the 3 hr glucose test twice. So, yeah I think I was a special snowflake because I have family memebers with diabetes but they do routinely screen for GB.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedulcemariamar1:

I took the 1 hour test once and the 3 hr glucose test twice. So, yeah I think I was a special snowflake because I have family memebers with diabetes but they do routinely screen for GB.

Interesting. I guess I thought it was something that might not be done routinely in other countries unless there are risk factors. But I guess it's become a standard of care.  

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • imagejbranden12:

I am back in the US and most of what I've read has said 15-20 lbs since I started out overweight. So far I'm down 5 lbs so my OB hasn't mentioned it except to make sure I'm eating!

Another question, do they routinely screen for GD in your host country?

In Germany yes, although not all state insurance companies cover it (so it's like 15-30? OOP). With DD and this one I did and am doing (next Wed) the 2 hour test.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• In Denmark I was only tested for GD because my mother is diabetic. It's not routine.

My doctor congratulated me about my weight, and I could have socked him except I was so tired and weak from being sick. I really wish they had the UK outlook here. My BFF gained 70 lbs during her pregnancy, felt perfectly fine, and lost it all within a few months of the birth. I know it's just an anecdote, but I have a hard time taking these "rules" so seriously when my doctor was so focused on the numbers and not the whole picture. I was not healthy AT ALL and he was just so thrilled about what the scale said that he didn't even see it. It makes me really angry. I gained about 15 lbs with each pregnancy, and so was literally under my pre-pregnancy weight as soon as baby, fluids, and placenta were out, but I'd be like my BFF and gain 70 but be healthy any day of the week.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think the norms here are pretty much the same as the states, but its just not worried about as much here. My OB weighed me every time he saw me, but never said anything. I did stay within the 'guidelines' (JUST....) but like a pp said I think his line of thinking was as long as you're eating healthy, not to worry about the numbers so much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"