International Bumpies

what do you miss

Re: what do you miss

• we have only been home to the united states once in the 14 months we have lived here.

I missed people that didn't dress sloppy (why do some Americans think it's ok to go to a store in PJ's?!)

I missed the lack of fast food restaurants

that is about it. I miss the states a lot.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• As in, what do I miss about the country I live in when I go back to the country I'm from?

- the non-rushed feeling in restaurants. In the US you get there, order drinks, order food, eat, pay, and go. Here it's much more leisurely and people think you're strange if you're ready to go right after the meal. You're expected to sit around and socialize for a while afterwards (of course, there are no free refills, so you continue to be a paying customer :-)).

- almost everything being within walking distance and what's not is easily reached via public transportation.

- people who shop relatively quietly. Every time I go back to the US, everyone in public seems so loud and boisterous at first.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Goodness, when I do my yearly penance (trip to the USA) I miss everything about home. But I left the USA in 2002, so i have had a while to adjust.

I miss, above all, my home and animals. The quiet of the veldt, the creatures, the smell of rain, the food from the farm.

I miss the warm African smiles and laughs, the different languages, the sense of humor. 

I miss how easy and calm life is here, and get overwhelmed with how cluttered and fast everything is over there.

I miss the weather. I've really gotten used to South African sunny skies, giant summer storms, and bearable temperatures year round.

I miss the game, the birds, the lions and jackals calling at night, the wildebeest over the hills, the Kudu coming down the hill at sunset.

And I won't lie, other South Africans may start nodding here, I miss our maid. She is more part of the family, can be very strict with me, and takes such good care of us. I hate going to the states because we are so spoiled here. I haven't done laundry for years. I don't even know where the mop is kept. I am extremely lucky - but in a country with such high unemployment and poverty, where I get asked for a maid job a few times a week, I don't feel one smidgen guilty. I really don't miss cleaning. One bit. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Home in the bush.
  • imagekelly321:

- people who shop relatively quietly. Every time I go back to the US, everyone in public seems so loud and boisterous at first.

ah, yes! this is very true.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I miss public transport. I hate having to coordinate cars and driving and I apparently get car sick now so it's all kinds of annoying. I miss just being able to walk to anything I need and be self-sufficient!

I also think people are ridiculously loud, I notice that every time.

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • I guess I miss public transportation and the food.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I too miss the quiet, I find thing so loud in the states. In the UK (my "real" home...I haven't lived there in ummm 15 years maybe) just is dirty and depressing to me (sorry ladies that live in the UK), Luxembourg is very clean.

I miss the relaxed dining experience in the US too, its very rushed. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • The relaxed dining. When I was back I'm the us the waiters were so pushy and most times brought the check before even asking if we wanted dessert our had finished our food. It bothered me a lot.

Public transportation as well...but that's just the area my parents live.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I miss the rolling green hills of Scotland and the countryside....also the sense of history you can't help but feel around you.  FTR I have not faced a Scottish winter yet, so feelings may change in a few months...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• imagePginSA:

Goodness, when I do my yearly penance (trip to the USA) I miss everything about home. But I left the USA in 2002, so i have had a while to adjust.

I miss, above all, my home and animals. The quiet of the veldt, the creatures, the smell of rain, the food from the farm.

I miss the warm African smiles and laughs, the different languages, the sense of humor. 

I miss how easy and calm life is here, and get overwhelmed with how cluttered and fast everything is over there.

I miss the weather. I've really gotten used to South African sunny skies, giant summer storms, and bearable temperatures year round.

I miss the game, the birds, the lions and jackals calling at night, the wildebeest over the hills, the Kudu coming down the hill at sunset.

And I won't lie, other South Africans may start nodding here, I miss our maid. She is more part of the family, can be very strict with me, and takes such good care of us. I hate going to the states because we are so spoiled here. I haven't done laundry for years. I don't even know where the mop is kept. I am extremely lucky - but in a country with such high unemployment and poverty, where I get asked for a maid job a few times a week, I don't feel one smidgen guilty. I really don't miss cleaning. One bit. 

You just made me home sick!

Oh and just a friendly warning on the maid front. I grew up with a maid and never had to do any chores, not even make my own bed or wash any dishes as a result I don't know how to clean a house now. I try hard, but I am the worlds worst housekeeper. Please don't let the same happen to your kids. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Now that I'm back in TX, I really miss:

public transportation

the culture at work (much better work/life balance, support for family, vacation and unlimited sick time)

being able to bike everywhere

changing seasons

small grocery stores where there are fewer choices (seriously, do I really need to pick from 50 different kinds of deodorant?)

traveling food festivals

a bakery on every corner!

ability to travel

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Oh and GOOD bread!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • imagePittPurple:

I miss public transport. I hate having to coordinate cars and driving and I apparently get car sick now so it's all kinds of annoying. I miss just being able to walk to anything I need and be self-sufficient!

I also think people are ridiculously loud, I notice that every time.

Me too on the car sick. I've always had motion sickness but since we gave up car ownership two years ago I get car sick at the drop of a hat.

And where we live now I mostly walk, occasionally take the bus and when it's running we take the horse tram or train.

• imagemanda2814:
    imageBlushingMama:
    imagePginSA:

Goodness, when I do my yearly penance (trip to the USA) I miss everything about home. But I left the USA in 2002, so i have had a while to adjust.

You just made me home sick!

Oh and just a friendly warning on the maid front. I grew up with a maid and never had to do any chores, not even make my own bed or wash any dishes as a result I don't know how to clean a house now. I try hard, but I am the worlds worst housekeeper. Please don't let the same happen to your kids. 

Just one of the reasons M has chores!  

My husband also grew up with a full time maid, his mom did it right, and just saw kids as extra staff. So he had chores, had to help out, and can clean (though bless him, he didn't know what a dryer sheet was, haha) - I hope to do the same. Kids should help out, they should do chores, it's good for them. I did growing up.  That said, I don't have kids yet, once I'm actually a mom, lord only knows what I'll do. I bet you anything, however, that my maid will make the kids work. She's very bossy.

She will also be nannying the kid(s) while I work part time. Oh, right, another thing to love about SA...I don't even admit to my us friends how little I will be paying for childcare. And I'm paying well above the going rate.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Home in the bush.
  • The last time I was in the us I was most annoyed by how many people were constantly on their cells. It was memorably ridiculous at the airport when we landed.
  • At the moment the only thing I miss is good Asian food.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"