Food Allergy

Baked Egg Challenge - Success!

DS#3 had his baked egg challenge at Johns Hopkins yesterday.  All went well!  So now we can slowly add eggs to this diet and see how it goes.  Here's the schedule:

Next two months - cakes, muffins, bread with egg a couple times a week. 

If all goes well then two months of pancakes, waffles, brownies with egg.

If that goes well then two months of french toast, egg in meatloaf and as a coating on baked meats (like when breading chicken).

If THAT goes well then we can discuss introducing straight egg around Easter time.

So it's not a quick road but at least we are on our way.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

Re: Baked Egg Challenge - Success!

• Evidently some egg allergic people can tolerate eggs baked in goods (same goes for milk too) because the protein changes structure when baked at high temps.  So when challenging, they usually start with baked then move to "straight" egg.

Our allergist said that if you can add baked egg or milk it can impact the person's ability to one day handle the straight item.

• Congratulations!!!!! My son just went for a follow up blood draw to see where his numbers are for milk, eggs and nuts. Here is hoping his numbers fall and we can challenge eggs in baked goods too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That's great!! DD1 can handle her allergens in baked goods, although I've only given her things like store bought bread, Eggo waffles, and graham crackers. When I bake, I use applesauce to replace the eggs. Anyway, our allergist encouraged us to continue giving her baked stuff as it's supposed to help her build up a tolerance to her allergens. And her numbers did go down significantly between age 1 and 2, so she's moving in the right direction. 

I hope your LO continues to tolerate the baked items and that you can cross egg off the list soon!  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • How did you get your allergist to do a baked challenge? DD's numbers for milk went down at her 2 yr test so my allergist offered a milk challenge (in the office) by doing 1tsp of cow milk every 15 min. The 1st tsp she barely swallowed and was headed for anaphylaxis! I'd be interested in a baked egg challenge and will ask next time we go but I'm curious how or what led your docs to give it a try. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetnd81:
    How did you get your allergist to do a baked challenge? DD's numbers for milk went down at her 2 yr test so my allergist offered a milk challenge (in the office) by doing 1tsp of cow milk every 15 min. The 1st tsp she barely swallowed and was headed for anaphylaxis! I'd be interested in a baked egg challenge and will ask next time we go but I'm curious how or what led your docs to give it a try. 

I actually had to switch allergists.  The one we saw originally - who I love because of her demeanor and ability to explain things - wanted DS's numbers to be ridiculously low before she would challenge.  Like < .6  as an example.  But as far as I knew, DS had never eaten egg because he tested positive at four months.  

So we switched to Dr. Wood at Johns Hopkins.  I knew he would be a bit more aggressive because he is very involved in research on food allergies and has seen a large number of children and had a lot of data to pull from.

DS's egg number was never all that high anyway so when it fell to the 2's they wanted to give it a try.  I was most interested in doing a milk challenge but DS's numbers went from 25 to 75 in one year so that was out of the question.  Dr. Wood also wanted to food challenge peanut but DS went from the 2's up to the 7's so they pulled that one off the table for now. 

There were two other children being challenged at the same time as DS.  Their challenges did not go well so it certainly is not an exact science. 

• That's interesting. My allergist did the milk challenge because her # went down a tad and was in the 2s but she proved to be anaphylactic! These RAST #s clearly aren't accurate. I'm really anxious to RAST test again at 3 yrs old but it's a bummer because the results almost mean nothing to me if a low 2 = anaphylaxis. I would like to try to find an allergist who is more aggressive and involved in research. You're lucky to have found this doc. I saw 2 allergists before I found the current one who offered a challenge. I didn't think anyone would offer a challenge. I like how yours did baked 1st rather than scrambling up an egg and putting it in your child's mouth like mine did with whole milk right off the bat! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"