November 2011 Moms

s/o Worried DS doesn't eat enough solids

DS gets 3 solid meals a day, plus snacks. But sometimes, he really doesn't eat much. I don't know if he just gets full fast, or gets bored, but there are days where he eats a few bites then calls it quits. Where we are getting ready to transition to WCM when he turns one, I'm worried he won't be getting enough nutrition. Any suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o Worried DS doesn't eat enough solids

• I wouldn't worry.  Are there times when he does eat a lot?  My DS is the same way... sometimes he'll just keep eating, and eating, and eating.  Other times, he just looks at me.  Some days it seems like he hardly eats a thing.  I talked to his daycare yesterday and they said the same thing.  He eats when he's hungry, he doesn't eat when he isn't.  You don't want to override that and teach him to eat even if he isn't hungry.

You'll hear a lot of moms of toddlers say that their kid lives on milk, cheerios, and air.  Normal!

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • I agree with PP.  There are days that it seems DS will eat us out of house and home, while other days he eats like 3 cheerios and that is it.  I figure as long as he is still gaining weight, I won't worry about it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yeah, there are days when I swear he eats more than I do!  Thanks for the reassurance...I guess I just worry I'm going to break the kid somehow.
  • Totally agree with Tink on this.  You definitely don't want to override his ability to listen to his body to eat when he's hungry and to not eat when he's not.  Babies are smarter than we give them credit for! :)  

You could always try smaller, more frequent meals, but I am not sure I'd change anything right now if I were you.  Sounds like there isn't a problem - pretty normal.  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Unless your LO has been diagnosed as FTT, he is probably doing a fine job of eating enough.  I would just continue to offer food and trust that he will eat when hungry.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • They say to judge toddler nutrition by the week, not the day. They'll eat tons some days and nothing others and as long as it balances out, there's nothing to worry about.  You might also ask about a multi vitamin.  My toddler does take a daily flinstone vitamin

Oh, and they are grazers by nature.  We have food sitting out all.the.time and DS will just snack and graze. Some people resist that or find it annoying, but it's really how they are designed to eat.  It also helps with moods/tantrums because they don't have any hunger related lows. 

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have done BLW, so it's been realllly slow. As in (TMI ahead..) my son's stools just transitioned from liquid-y to formed over the past month.

That being said, I hear what you are saying. It seems like he "eats" at each meal, but is it enough for me to wean him off breastmilk starting around his birthday? This I don't know. It seems like he is still nursing a fair amount, and I don't want to take that away if he needs it for nutrition, but I am wanting to work towards weaning at the beginning of the year.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• DS totally varies in how much he eats at each meal. This morning, he ate a whole banana coated in cherrio dust & 1/4 of my container of yogurt. For lunch, he BARELY ate 1/4 of a chicken nugget & a tiny bit of shredded cheese. He will probably eat a decent amount of food at dinner though.

I struggle with wondering if he's eating enough, but I am sure he is. I think that we just worry because we are parents. Soon enought we'll be posting "LO will ONLY eat "insert random food here" for each meal"

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • LO is the same way. We started the whole milk transition last week and it seems to be a very natural transition. We have about 3 bottles of formula left and then it will be all WM. I try to only give milk in a sippy cup, but if she's not eating solids then I do give her milk in a bottle. I try to introduce new ingredients & flavors, but if shes not feeling it, I resort to a favorite like yogurt. I want her to get use to eating solids so if she has yogurt for dinner so be it. Love the days when she likes something new; it feels like we are making progress. Also seems lately that the longer I can keep her in her high chair the more likely she is to try a food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"