Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Help a girl out! What else besides Clomid???

I hear a lot of talk about Clomid on here.  Everything that I've read about it says it induces ovulation, for cases where a female is not ovulating.  But what if you are ovulating but still after a year have not gotten pregnant?  Clearly Clomid wouldn't help b/c you are already ovulating, so then what?

My gyn told me at my annual exam (at the end of this month) we could discuss where I stand with TTC and any options that may be available to me.  I'm 7 cycles in and I'm not looking to borrow troubles, I'm just curious what other options there are so that if I do hit the year mark, I can have all the facts and make an informed decision.  And I'm only asking now b/c I'd like to be able to have done some research before seeing the doc, even tho I don't plan on taking any action for another few months.  Plus, I'm just curious and like knowing all I can about this stuff! 

ETA: edited title for clarity.

Re: Help a girl out! What else besides Clomid???

• Options

I'm not an expert on any of this by any means but I do know that not all infertility is ovulatory infertility. Even if you are ovulating, there could be other things going on - hormones not quite right, blocked tubes, vaginal conditions not hospitable to sperm, etc. I'd imagine that your doctor would test for all of those things.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagespacepotatoes:

I'm not an expert on any of this by any means but I do know that not all infertility is ovulatory infertility. Even if you are ovulating, there could be other things going on - hormones not quite right, blocked tubes, vaginal conditions not hospitable to sperm, etc. I'd imagine that your doctor would test for all of those things.

This.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I remember that KDG also mentioned in another thread that Clomid is also used to treat "weak" ovulation. Other things I've read its used for are producing more eggs per ovulation event so there is more of a chance that one of them is fertilized. I'm no expert on Clomid but that is what I remember from around the boards.

I found this on yahoo notes (not a medical journal, but it does break it down into easy to understand terms):Click Here

Also from LiveStrong: 
    click here

All links open in new windows. I'm sure you can get a ton of good information from the other more experienced TTC posters here. Good luck to you. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Like PP's said, there are multiple other things to check out with testing.  If there are no other issues going on and you are Oing, Clomid can produce a stronger O and multiple (2-3 is ideal) matue follicles.  Then there are more "targets" for the sperm to hit.  Good luck!
    My Blog

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Options

imagejschwind22:
    Like PP's said, there are multiple other things to check out with testing.  If there are no other issues going on and you are Oing, Clomid can produce a stronger O and multiple (2-3 is ideal) matue follicles.  Then there are more "targets" for the sperm to hit.  Good luck!

I just got the most hilarious mental image:

Sperm as arrows and someone shooting them from a bow at targets that look like eggs.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    imagecoraggiosa:

imagejschwind22:

Sperm as arrows and someone shooting them from a bow at targets that look like eggs.  

LOL!  Someone that is good with making images please put something together here!

My Blog

It's a BOY!

• Options
    imagejschwind22:
    imagecoraggiosa:

imagejschwind22:

LOL!  Someone that is good with making images please put something together here!

This would make my day! Please someone do this! I have no skills on image making, and the only person I know who is good at it is my BIL - and he would give me a big side-eye if I asked him.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options

There are also other meds besides clomid...

the main thing like PP have said is to get tested.  Don't assume anything until you and your DH have gone through testing.  You can do primary testing with an OBGYN, but you will be better off seeing an RE for treatment.  Whatever you do make sure you have had proper testing and are closely monitored if you ever do take Clomid.  

Good luck!

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options

Thank you for clarifying Clomid's use.  I guess I'm still curious though what other options there are besides Clomid if you are ovulating.  I realize it depends on what exactly is your specific issue, so no one can tell me what my doc will be able to.  But what are some other things that you ladies have tried, or heard of? 

And lord!  The idea of my H's "arrows" hitting more than one target and me ending up with multiplies scares the bejesus out of me! 

• Options
    I agree with PP's. And have also heard clomid can help some people ovulate at the more ideal time in there cycle, for example someone with 50 day cycles ovulating around cycle day 30. Which might also be called weak ovulation. I could be wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________________

TTC #1 since 10/11
    BFP #1-10/01/12 | ended in m/c11/19/12
    Jan-2013-Cycle 10: Clomid 50mg + Trigger + TI = BFN
    Feb-2013-Cycle 11: Benched due to cysts.
    March-2013-Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg + Trigger + TI = BFP
    4/22/13-Beta#1 33.9-- 4/24/13-Beta#2 117
    EDD 12/30/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I know others can offer more advice, but at the year mark they would do an HSG to see if your tubes are blocked, and an SA for your DH to make sure male factor infertility isn't the issue.

I want to say clomid has been used for women who are ovulating but have unexplained infertility, but I am not sure what it does?  Maybe promotes more than one egg to up the chances?  I have no idea, but I am sure someone else has the info.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    imagestargazer77:

Thank you for clarifying Clomid's use.  I guess I'm still curious though what other options there are besides Clomid if you are ovulating.  I realize it depends on what exactly is your specific issue, so no one can tell me what my doc will be able to.  But what are some other things that you ladies have tried, or heard of? 

And lord!  The idea of my H's "arrows" hitting more than one target and me ending up with multiplies scares the bejesus out of me! 

Clomid is just one of several medications that stimulate follicles, called follicle stimulating hormones (FSH).  Another oral medication is Femara and then there are multiple injectible medications (Follistim, Gonal-F, etc.).  I don't know of many (any?) IF treatment options that do not include using some kind of FSH.  I suppose you could use monitoring ultrasounds and a trigger shot on a natural cycle to ensure that you are better timing sex, but I'm not sure that would increase you chances any from charting to determine your FW.

IF is scary and treatment does increase your risk of multiples, but not substantially so to make it not worthwhile IMO.

My Blog

It's a BOY!

• Options

Whoa, let's not just let OP run off thinking Clomid is some miracle drug, yeah? It a serious medication that should be taken only after all fertility testing is completed (BW on CD3 and 7DPO, HSG, and SA) and only under the proper monitoring of an RE (NOT an OB). Clomid can cause serious side effects, including OHSS which can lead to high order multiples (think Jon & Kate Plus 8), illness, or the damage of future fertility.

Please make sure that if you're considering any medications that you advocate for and educate yourself and make sure you're dealing with a medical professional with your best possible care at heart. The 3T board is incredibly helpful with answering Clomid questions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Whoa, let's not just let OP run off thinking Clomid is some miracle drug, yeah? It a serious medication that should be taken only after all fertility testing is completed (BW on CD3 and 7DPO, HSG, and SA) and only under the proper monitoring of an RE (NOT an OB). Clomid can cause serious side effects, including OHSS which can lead to high order multiples (think Jon & Kate Plus 8), illness, or the damage of future fertility.

Please make sure that if you're considering any medications that you advocate for and educate yourself and make sure you're dealing with a medical professional with your best possible care at heart. The 3T board is incredibly helpful with answering Clomid questions.

Thank you Brooke, but in no way did I take anyones responses as a campaign to use Clomid.  In fact, I've done a lot of research on it and know it's def not the route I want to take unless all other options have been explored.  And I'm only 7 months in, I know I still have lots of time to get my BFP on my own before the year mark.  I was just curious why you always only hear about Clomid, and whether there were any other things that could be done.  Mainly for the fact that I know it's not a drug to be taken lightly! 

Thank you for the concern!

• Options

Maybe I can help you out.  I have been TTC for 15 months and ovulate regularly on my own (Average 28 day cycle, Average 14 day LP, Ovulate on CD 14 on average). 

If you hit the 1 year mark, the first thing you need to do is have all the basic infertility testing done.  You need to have CD 3 blood work, 7 DPO blood work, a HSG, and your husband you needs a SA.  All of these need to be done before starting any treatment, so you can rule out blocked tubes or MFI which may need to be addressed first.

Depending on your test results, your doctor may decide to prescribe ovulation inducing meds.  For example, I have been diagnosed with weak ovulation and am taking clomid this cycle to "strengthen" ovulation.  Basically eventhough I ovulate on my own, my progesterone levels are too low to support a pregnancy.  Clomid should give me a stronger ovulation, which should increase my progesterone levels.  Even people with "unexplained infertility" may be prescribe clomid or other ovulation inducing drugs, because they can increase your odds of getting pregnant.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    imagestargazer77:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Thank you Brooke, but in no way did I take anyones responses as a campaign to use Clomid.  In fact, I've done a lot of research on it and know it's def not the route I want to take unless all other options have been explored.  And I'm only 7 months in, I know I still have lots of time to get my BFP on my own before the year mark.  I was just curious why you always only hear about Clomid, and whether there were any other things that could be done.  Mainly for the fact that I know it's not a drug to be taken lightly! 

Thank you for the concern!

I didn't assume you would. I'm simultaneously making sure that you (or anyone else reading this thinking, "Clomid sounds AMAZING! I'm gonna get a baby NOW!") have more complete info about it and trying to help the girls of TTGP put information in their back pockets for the next time someone asks. Unless someone lurks or wanders over to the 3T board, they may blindly seek out and take Clomid from their OB, and I'm hoping to help avoid that or at least educate :)

GL and I hope you get a BFP before you have to consider any of this :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

I ovulated on my own and Clomid was the first step for us, though more of a step down seeing as it thinned my lining to the point that the cycle was canceled.   My RE won't use Femara because there is/was (told this in 2009) some association with birth defects, and Tomoxifen is another pill but I never tried it as it tends to have lower results.

Like you, I always try to stay one step ahead of things so I'm knowledgeable beforehand.  In no way saying that IF/TTTC is a fun place to lurk, but I learned a lot from other IFers posts and blogs, which is one of the reasons I started my own when I got to that point.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Yea in no way did I mean to downplay the seriousness of Clomid and other FSH drugs.  They come with side effects and serious consequences of not used properly.  They absolutely should not be considered until you have been TTC for more than a year, have the proper testing done, and are under the care of a competent RE.

My Blog

It's a BOY!

• Options
    Thank you to all of you for your responses.

Twinkie and Brooke special thanks for the very detailed explanations! It is because of all the wonderful ladies here that I have learned so much already and this just helped me learn something new!

Wishing all of you BFP's soon!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"