Parenting after 35
Options

Magazines

I'd like to put a magazine subscription or two on my Christmas list. What could I get? Got Glamour for years but sadly I think I'm out of the target range. No longer into dating advice and if I could just find maternity pants to stay up I'd be fine with fashion right now. 

PEople always recommend Real Simple. It's nice but it doesn't have enough content. I can read it in like 10 minutes. 

Am I ready for something like Family Circle or Good Housekeeping?? I'd like a mix of fashion, parenting, recipes, decorating, etc, but I think of those are my mom's magazines. Endorse those, or other recommendations? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Magazines

• Options

Currently the only thing I subscribe to is the week which I really like ESP the iPad app but I don't think that is what you're looking for... I have liked health in the past and I love vanity fair but that requires a big time commitment or a long commute on public transportation lol.  I would do two, personally, one cooking one ( the Rachel ray one is popular and also taste of home, for more regular family friendly kinds of meals) and one more like good housekeeping or real simple ( I am not a fan either, actually) or even parents, that is more focused on kids but usually has a section on fashion and makeup type stuff, and several recipes...

Good luck...someone needs to come out w a good magazine targeting moms in their 30s and 40s I think... 

• Options

I must be on some weird marketing list.. I keep getting magazines that I didn't sign up for, let alone pay for.

But I used to love getting Better Homes and Gardens... lots of great home ideas plus I love landscaping/gardening, etc.

I also like Taste of Home.. great recipes.. not that I ever tried any of them.  But it's pretty!

I also got Parents for a while.. it was okay and had some interesting articles on, well, parenting.

I also get some crappy AARP type magazine called More.. for the mature woman.  HATE THAT!!!!!  And no, I did not sign up for that one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Real Simple, but I guess you're right in there not being a lot of content.  I have a subscription to Parents, Self and New York.   I also like Marie Claire and Redbook, which I think are geared towards women our age.  Better Homes & Gardens is also an option (though it makes me feel old because I can remember when my mom read it and I thought it was so BORING!!). Oprah is good, too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

What I would do if I were you is to think about what you're really into, what you love to read about, look at pics of, etc. Think of a magazine like a little encyclopedia with information and photos that you can refer to when you need help with a subject you're really into -- and that can be anything from politics to books to house & home to fashion or just whatever. Even things like religion or book reviews. Anything at all.

Then, go to your local big bookstore and look at mags about your subject. Which ones can you really get into and read most of what's inside (not just a couple of articles here and there)? Can you see yourself buying that magazine month after month just to see what's in it? Then that's what you should put on your Christmas list. 

If you like home stuff, I think Better Homes & Gardens is really good. I'd love to get a subscription, but I already have two magazine subscriptions (Lucky and People Stylewatch) so I don't want to pile up more. I'm really into home decor right now and I find that a lot of the stuff in BHG is really nice-looking but doable.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have been getting Cooking Light for about 8 years. Every issue has great recipes. There are fewer non-cooking articles than there used to be, but it's still a great magazine - IF you're into trying new recipes. There is some decorating advice, but it's mainly about new/fun kitchen gadgets and pretty dining things. Nothing on fashion though, and the only parenting advice relates to recipes that you can feed a finicky kid.

Bonus - if you do weight watchers, the nutritional info is provided for each recipe so you can plug it into the calculator and find out the points of anything!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm asking for Entertainment Weekly.  It's got lots of articles about TV shows, movies, and books and isn't trashy celebrity gossip.  It's a little expensive because it comes out weekly but its something I wouldn't buy for myself unless I found a good deal on it.

• Options
    I get Bazaar and Marie Claire for fashion
    HGTV and BHG for decorating tips
    Budget Travel so I can plan my vacations

• Options

Isn't there a magazine...'More' or something like that...for the 40ish crowd?  I have a subscription to ESPN, but guessing that is not what you are looking for.  I gave up the subscriptions to Cosmo, Glamour, and Elle a while ago.  I do get Parenting, but couldn't tell you the last time I actually opened it up.  I also have a kindle subscription to Working Mother, which I keep forgetting I have until I see the .99 charge on my bank statement each month.

And quite honestly, the two you have mentioned, FC and GH, I have read for years.  Not subscribing to myself, but picking up a copy while at my mom's or my grandmother's (but don't let that deter you).  And Redbook a well.  And Ladies Home Journal.  None of those I subscribe to, but have no problem reading them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"