C-sections
Options

Can we talk Pain Meds?

I've only been on pain meds once in my life (vicadin for wisdom teeth) and it was a horrific experience. I'm hoping it was just an isolated experience and I won't react this way to whatever they give me post C-section. What were you given after the surgery to manage pain (morphine pump, oral meds, etc)? Did you have any bad reactions to it? How long were you on meds ?
DS1 : 10/2012
Due with B/G Twins July 2015

Re: Can we talk Pain Meds?

• Options
    I think I had morphine the first night. After that it was IV ibuprofen. When I left they gave me Percocet which I hated. I alternated a double dose of tylenol and advil every 3 hours and it was sufficient as long as I kept up with it. I started tapering off around a week PP and was pretty much done by 2 weeks PP. I'm sure I kept taking ibuprofen as needed, but I wasn't as rigid about it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

With DS, they put some sort of slow-release pain med in my IV (or possibly injected it with the spinal, b/c my IV was out 2-3 hours after surgery).  After that, it was prescription-strength ibuprofen and when the pain was really bad, vicodin.  I'm sure if you tell them that you've had a bad reaction to vicodin in the past, they'll have other options for you.

Once I got home, I basically only took ibuprofen - I had a script for vicodin, which I filled, but I only took it before bed, and only for a couple of days. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was given loritab and motrin. I took loritab at night and motrin during the day. I was afraid about taking loritab because I don't take narcotics, but I had absolutely no problem with the loritab.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

I was on Roxicet (a generic of Percocet, I believe) and I got off of that as soon as possible. I had similar reaction to what I took after some other surgery awhile ago (don't remember what it was, but I think it also had oxycodone in it). Both gave me horrible dreams and made me feel really loopy, which is not good when you are already sleep deprived and need to attend to a newborn.

I stopped taking the Roxicet early...maybe around 5-7 days PP...and just went to the Ibuprofen (which is what I did after the other surgery, too).

I don't remember how long I took the Ibuprofen. A couple of weeks? My pain was manageable enough that I had to remind myself to take it. (Meaning, I'd eventually feel some dull pain, look at the clock, and realize I was past due.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I think the first night I got morphine and nubain (actually for the itching). It was something IV, but I was too distracted by LO and too loopy to really care. I was not a fan of how I felt on it, but it controlled my pain that first night. My hospital does a spinal and does not do PCA pumps for c/s.

The next day when I started eating and drinking again I alternated norco (hydrocodone) and motrin, which were great. Norco apparently works really well for me- it controlled my pain, lasted a while, and didn't make me sick or loopy. I went home with those two, and took them a couple times a day until about a week pp- norco once in the morning and once at night, and motrin during the day. I don't think I took much past a week/week and a half pp. But I was also on my rear on the couch for most of the day for a couple weeks, so... I didn't exactly overexert myself =)

Everyone reacts differently to medications- if what you get first either doesn't control your pain or you can't tolerate the side effects, ask for something different! You should NOT be in pain or too out of it because of a medication when there are many options to try. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I requested to have nothing but Ibuprofen due to previous bad experiences with pain meds (vicodin and darvocet) and had no issues.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options

I can't remember what they gave me via IV. I do remember that it made me itch terribly. After the IV was taken out they gave me ibuprophen and percocet. I took the percocet for almost two weeks and continued on the Ibuprophen as needed for the next week.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was on morphine for the first 24 hours. They offered Percocet if I wanted it, but like you I had either Percocet or Vicodin (I don't remember which) when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and it was awful so I managed my pain with extra strength to Tylonel and Motrin and this worked fine. I took one Percocet when they removed my staples, but after they were out I realized I would have been just fined without taking the meds. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was on Morphine the first 24 hours, then Percocet and Ibuprofen combined.  I loved the Percocet...it helped me sleep as well as took the edge off the pain.  It wasn't enough with Ibuprofen alone.  With DD#1 I took it due to a 4th degree tear and then took it again after my c-section with the twins.  DD went to the nursery at night except to BF and the twins were in the NICU, so the loopiness wasn't an issue.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I had a repeat c-section on the 18th, I had a epidural put in during my prep and after surgery they used it to admin morphine, it made me terribly itchy. So I got nubain to control that, no go, itchy and HOT each time I pressed the pump. The following day they removed it and I was on oral Ibuprofen and Lortab alternating. I got sent home on the same. I only took the Ibuprofen as ordered one in the am and one at night and used the lortab once a day before nap to control the pain and allow me to sleep. 
  • Options

With my first c-section I had a morphine pump for 24 hours after my section. I then had oral pain medication.The medication I was given was Oxycodone (SP?) and Motrin.

With my second c-section. I had a spinal an was given morphine in my spinal to help with the pain for 24 hours. It worked well. After that I was given oral pain meds Vicadin and Motrin.

I took both my pain meds until about 4-5 days after my c-section and then just as needed after that. Some days Motrin was enough other days by the end of the day I needed both pain meds. I stopped completely taking all medication by 2 weeks after.

I too had a bad experience with Vicadin after my wisdom teeth removal but this time it was much different.

• Options

I did have a morphine pump initially, but the nurse encouraged me not to use it if I didn't have to because I was puking from the anesthesia (We knew it was the anesthesia because I started vomiting in the OR right after the spinal block.) and the morphine could make the nausea worse.  Of course, they couldn't give me oral pain meds until I stopped puking, so it was a vicious cycle for a while.

Once the vomiting was under control that evening, I alternated vicodin and ibuprofen every 4 hours.  (Vicodin at 6, 10, 2; Ibuprofen at 8, 12, 4) 

I didn't have any problems with the oral meds.  By 4 days post-op, I was taking them as needed, which was normally at night.  Around 7-8 days post-op, I stopped taking meds. 

• Options

Vicodin is Hydrocodone, so if you had a reaction to that, you might want to ask for Oxycodone instead (don't freak, oxy doesn't=addictive). Tell your MD that up front.

I had my baby in Germany, where they just give you acetaminophen and ibuprophen. I really could have used a narcotic the first two days, when I was very sore from getting out of bed a lot to get baby, nurse baby, etc, but after that, I was fine with just ibuprophen.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    I was given spinal morphine during the C/s, then a combo of ibuprofen and Toradol for a few doses, which worked very well. Then I was switched to Percocet and ibuprofen which didn't help too much honestly. I was sent home with Loratab and ibuprofen and used the Loratab for just 1 or 2 doses.
  • Options
    I was on a morphine pump the first day or so. The doctor took it from me because she said I never pressed the release. Then I was on prescription strength ibuprofen until I left the hospital. Then just regular ibuprofen or Advil.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I get very sick with all opiates (vicodin, percocet, etc.), so I requested none.  Well unfortunately I had an emergency c-section and they gave me morphine (an opiate) through an IV.  I was very sick the first 24 hours of my DD life, which I am very sad about.  Along with puking constantly with a fresh incision in your abdomen is not fun at all.  However, after this they just gave me extra strength Ibuprofen and I was fine with that and an icepack.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    #1 BFP 2/24/11 EDD 10/29/11 Born 11/1/11
    (via emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord; dx with sensorineural hearing loss Feb 2012)
    #2 BFP 9/13/12 EDD 5/20/13 Natural M/C 10/3/12
    #3 BFP 11/13/12 EDD 7/27/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i was on iv morphine the first 24h and it did nothing but make me itch everywhere and really sleepy....pain was still there 100%!!! after 24h they gave me percocet and 800 mg ibuprofen and i literally felt like a new woman....pain was almost nothing. here it is 11 days later and im down to one percocet and one ibuprofen a day. good luck!!
  • Options
    My recovery was great -- I had Duramorph in my spinal which lasted about 24 hours so I didn't have to take anything for 24 hours.  After that, I had one dose of toradol and then was able to move on to oral ibuprofen for the rest of my hospital stay.  I never had to take narcotics because I hate them and I was breastfeeding.  I had no bad reactions because toradol is basically ibuprofen and I don't have bad reactions to taking ibuprofen.  I wish I wouldn't have had the one dose of toradol because it stings going into your IV but they suggested it and even though I just wanted oral ibuprofen, I took it anyway even though I didn't need to. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hate pain meds also so i was worried about this. Turms out I didn't ever need anything stronger than Motrin. My pain was never more than a 2 I just felt sore like I had done a really intense ab workout. The 3rd day out was the worst just take it easy and ask for a binder!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i was on percocet and Aleve with my first not sure what they will be doing in 8 weeks time will tell I didnt have trouble with the percocet wasnt in much pain i think i only took 3 pills when i got to go home 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"