Rhode Island Babies

Thinking about moving to Rhode Island :)

Hey Bumpies.

A little intro: My SO and I are both 21, and expecting our first son in just a few short weeks! He is originally from Northern CA, and I am from Southern Ca. We both now live (temporarily, hopefully) in Southern CA. I just completed my final semester of school in July, and have been taking a pause on the job hunt as of late. Seeing as though I was 5ish months pregnant when I graduated college, I hadn't been having any luck with a job hunt.

I am now currently trying to pursue my career in travel, tourism & hospitality. We both really love Rhode Island, and wanted to ask fellow parents and/or parents-to-be:

1. What is the cost of living in your neighborhood? (median income, housing costs, etc.)
  2. What are the demographics like in your neighborhood?
  3. (in your opinion) Where are the safest neighborhoods for a family?
  4. Have you made the move from out of state? From where? What was it like?
 Thanks for all your help, ladies!
V|V TSP V|V

Re: Thinking about moving to Rhode Island :)

• Hello, I just moved here a year ago. I lived here a few years ago in northern Rhode Island (hated it). Now I live in Westerly and LOVE IT!!! If you are looking for a tourism career, safe schools and neighborhoods, and a lovely downtown with a ton of family friendly activities southern RI is definitely the place to be. It is more conservative and more expensive, but worth it. It is cute small town New England here.

There is the Westerly Hospital with Women's Health Center, where I go. There is also South County Hospital near South Kingstown, which is bigger and newer. I moved here from NY with my husband and we fell in love, but it isn't very diverse here. People have been very friendly though, possibly because we are straight, white, and married, but still friendly.

We bought an amazing house for 270,00, but looked at a ton in nice neighborhoods that were closer to 200,000. Also we chose not to, but you can look over the border in CT. They are cheaper houses and still very nice neighborhoods and schools.

The area really picks up in the summer with tons of tourists enjoying the beautiful beaches. Locals only go to the beach in the off-season. 

I will say there is this feeling if you aren't from Rhode Island you are an outsider. I am not letting that bother me, but people who have lived here for decades still aren't considered "real Rhode Islanders".

Hope that helps and you think about the littlest state in the country.

~Jill

• Hey there!  I'm from RI (originally from MA, but that's not much of a move!) and I love it here!

I'm a South County girl, but work in the city.  Convenient, isn't it, that you can live at the beach and work in a city that's on the other end of the state, all with a ~35 minute commute?!

Being in South County (which, actually, in true RI fashion, is just a made-up construct, it's technically Washington County) or on Newport/Jamestown it can be a lot more expensive, and definitely being on the water (bay or ocean) makes it even pricier.  I also have a special place in my heart for the east side of Providence (different from East Providence).   I have no idea what the median income is in my neighborhood, and the housing prices happen to be extremely diverse since some houses are on the water/have views and some are not, and they range dramatically in style, too.  RIght now I'd say anywhere from the mid 200k's upward to ~1.5-2mil in my neighborhood.

There is definitely more diversity closer to the city, and I wish we had more cultural diversity in our area, but still we have some.  

RI seems to be a pretty safe place all around.  Providence itself is small & approachable, it has it's 'good' parts and 'bad' parts.  I think most if not all of the East side is safe, and I would say the East Bay, South County, Aquidneck (the islands), as well as western RI are all very safe and great for families.   

Hope this is helpful!   Good luck!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both so much :)

It's been difficult since we can't really travel to visit and see what kind of tourism is there at the given moment, but RI is beautiful and I would love to call it home if nothing else than for selfish reasons.

V|V TSP V|V
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"