January 2012 Moms

Advice with finger foods

I usually go to the December 2011 board but DS was born on 12/30/11 and seems like the babies on that board are so much older than he is. I've just recently started him on finger foods in the last couple weeks he has mastered cheerios, puffs and yogurt melts but I have tried bananas, shredded cheese and small pieces of vegetables and he has a couple pieces then doesn't want anything to do with them. Does anyone have any advice? It's frustrating since I know in a couple months he should be eating table food and feel like I am behind and I'm not doing a good job as a mom. I know I can be hard on myself too. Any advice on ways you got your baby to eat would be great. Thanks ladies :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Advice with finger foods

• Honestly DD plays with her food more than she eats it half the time. Sometimes she is interested in it sometimes not. I have given her ground beef, beans, chicken-whatever we are eating. plus purees, puffs etc. She still nurses and is growing well. I figure she will get there when she gets there.
  • Just keep offering the food.  Either LO will continue to play with it or they will start putting it in their mouth.  Making a mess is part of the process I believe.  Imagine trying to learn to eat with chopsticks.  You have to get used to how to hold them, how far they reach, and how to coordinate them to pick up food.  Then you have to hold it long enough for it to reach you mouth.  Babies go through the same difficulties with their hands as they aren't born knowing how to use them.

It could also be that your LO doesn't have a strong interest in solids yet, so they don't see the need to shovel it down.  Quantity isn't as important as the experience of trying different textures.  As long as LO isn't underweight or you aren't planning to wean right now, it's ok for them to not be eating very much.  A small child will not willingly starve themselves when presented with food.

I can understand being on a board with babies all older than yours.  My DS was born Jan 31, so I often feel behind the pack, especially back in the first few months.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We're in the same boat.  I try not to stress because she doesn't need to get food for nourishment right now - it's just an exploratory experience like PP said.

However, just today we've started trying to switch from her all day "grazing" on the boob and bottle - she doesn't do this at day care, and sleeps much better - and we've found that, timed right, she'll actually spend a good 10-15 minutes eating.  Sure, it's only been two meals so far, but on a good day she was eating half a pouch of food (she won't let us feed her and this is the only way to be sure she  gets her prunes - which she needs!).  Today she's already had a pouch of food and almost half a slice of cantalope.  All that is to say, you might want to look at your nursing and/or formula feeding habits to see if she just might not be hungry enough to try solids.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you to all of you for the advice. I'll just keep trying different things and keep offering. It's hard to not lose my patience but I don't show it in front of him I just want to scream inside when he swipes everything on the table to the floor...did I mention both my DH and I are neat freaks? lol I think he is testing my patience which I know he will since he is a child. Hope you all are having a good week I feel like I received better advice here than the December board so may start posting here more. Thanks again! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"