Attachment Parenting
Options

Has anyone seen this article?

It's about how simple toys are better for kids than electronic, high-tech ones. I'm about to point DH in this direction since he wants to give DS a tablet :/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191243/How-child-happy-6-worth-toys-Youngsters-better-odds-ends-expensive-gadgets.html

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit

Re: Has anyone seen this article?

• Options
    Ooooh, don't let him! Our kids use the tablet once in awhile, but they don't do it often. DH keeps teasing me that he'll give them his old smartphone (he's getting a new one in a few months). I even hate toys that make noise, quite honestly...
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I think this sort of thing should be more common knowledge. I hate that it has become so everyday for little kids to play with things like that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageKaeldrasmommy:
    I think this sort of thing should be more common knowledge. I hate that it has become so everyday for little kids to play with things like that.

Yes

Exactly. Common sense would say that toys that require the use of imagination are better for development.

I wonder if I can somehow slip this article to my MIL. Every Christmas she buys practically every cheap plastic toy from Farm & Fleet because she likes watching the kids open all the presents. Then the toys end up just sitting in a toy box unused after that first day.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Yeah. remember that video where the infant was trying to use a magazine like an iPad. While everyone thought it was funny, I though it was disturbing. Electronic toys don't encourage a child to use their imagination. I'm trying to let me family know that I don't want Bryce to have tons of "stuff" especially electronic toys. He loves when I just give him a plastic bowl and spoon to play with!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I've often wondered if the reason why we're seeing a rise in ADHD is because of all the loud flashing toys we give our kids starting at birth...that's a long term study I'd like to see done.
  • Options
    imagebelladonna11307:
    I've often wondered if the reason why we're seeing a rise in ADHD is because of all the loud flashing toys we give our kids starting at birth...that's a long term study I'd like to see done.
    Hear hear!
  • Options

This trend is covered in the book Buy, Buy Baby. https://www.amazon.com/Buy-Baby-Consumer-Culture-Manipulates/dp/0618463518

I don't think tablets are the end of the world, but my husband was ADHD and so I'm very cautious about DS and contributing factors.  I also don't like when MIL throws a hundred toys in DS path.  Just let him play with one and stop distracting him! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We were at a birthday party a few weeks ago and a friend commented how my 3yo son was playing so nicely w a truck. He was making engine noises and driving it on the floor. Friend said that his 5yo doesn't "know how to play with trucks" and only like the Wii, IPad, etc.

My jaw nearly hit the floor
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    Just to dissent a little... the leappad SAVED my sanity when LO got it. I factor it into her total screentime and try not to let her watch or play with too much, but the leappad in the car is the only reason she's still RFing. Before that it was a 45 minute screamfest all the way home on our commute together; now she talks to me nicely for about 20 minutes and then watches a video.. And if I had it to do over with, I'd skip the leappad and get a kindle fire for her instead. But just for limited use like the car. I was all about non flashing toys when LO was an infant and I still am mostly. She has a few but all were gifts and I tend to put them away so she has access to one at a time. She mostly always liked puzzles and imagination toys anyway. But I don't think a tablet is the worst thing in the world for a 3 year old to play with occasionally.

I think they're fine for restricted use, but my DS would want to play with it all. the. time. Dh had an I-pod touch and DS became obsessed with it, wanted it all the time, wanted to take it to bed with him, etc, etc. Of course we said no but it turned into a constant meltdown, he would even wake up at night asking for it, etc, etc.

DH has a Blackberry Playbook now and DS is allowed to play with it WITH one of us, but not on his own, because we don't want him getting the idea that it's his. So when DH upgrades to the I-pad, he wants to give it to DS but I absolutely am not okay with it because I know he will become obsessed like he did with the ipod touch.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"