Postpartum Depression
Options

Birth Control and PPD

Hey ladies, I have posted a lot on other boards, but this is a first on here.  I have a 15 month old and a 3 month old.  I have been experiencing some PPD since my son was born.  It has also been a rough couple months.  He was in the hospital a week after he was born due to jaundice, breastfeeding lasted 8 weeks then my supply dropped, he was hospitalized at 10 weeks with viral meningitis and two weeks ago my grandmother (who I am very close with) passed away.  At 8 weeks I realized I was experiencing PPD and talked with the doc, got some meds and started feeling some relief, until my grandmother passed away.   Just been a rough couple of months for me.

On top of all of that, at 8 weeks pp I had mirena put in. Two weeks ago, it fell out. Yup, just fell out. Apparently your body can reject the darn thing, so I was one of that lucky 3%.  For the  PPD the dr prescribed Effexor (which made my anxiety worse, I can't seem to take anti-depressants) so I am now only taking Ativan as needed.  After the IUD fell out the dr talked about my options and I chose to go on the pill.  I've been on it now for two weeks.  I have been having migraines almost daily for two weeks and I feel like it's bringing me down.  I would like to have a third a child at one point down the road, but not right now. 

My question for you guys is...have you found a method of birth control that is a) Not Permanent b) Doesn't Cause PPD to worsen c) Doesn't cause Migraines d) isn't going to cost me tons of money.  Dr. said we could try another IUD, the first one cost me $150, the chance of rejection a second time increases to 30% if your body rejects it the first time.  I am a chunky girl and won't do the shot, gained 30 lbs on it before, don't need to do that again.  I feel like I am out of options and just wanna cry.  Sorry to vent, but I'm just looking for some advice.  Thanks ladies.

Married 8/23/09 Dx: Endometriosis mc 2003, mc 2005, mc Oct. 2009 and ectopic pg Feb. 2010 Baby Girl Gracie Mae born 5 weeks early on 7/6/11. Baby boy JT born full term on 7/5/12. We are blessed!

Re: Birth Control and PPD

• Options

Sorry to hear your going through so much and all at the same time.  T&Ps are with you.

As far as BC goes.....May I suggest condoms??  I know they aren't the most convenient but I have learned to cope with them just fine.  You see, I had anxiety and depression come out of nowhere and the doctors just kept telling me it was due to stress (although no new stresses had been added to my life) I then figured out that it may be due to my BC and sure enough as soon as i stopped taking it I was back to feeling like myself again (slowly but surely).  So, my recommendation would be to either go back on a bc that you have tried before and didn't cause any type of mood changes because you never know with a new type. Or, go with something that is hormone free until you are more stable and able to distinguish whether its situational or the bc thats affecting your moods.

Best of luck and I hope you start feeling better soon!

photo 521774ac-531f-42f9-9325-82efbf569d9f_zps25965887.jpg<photo b8da4dd1-ab31-4567-8e47-1eed1489f7ee_zps7c71559e.jpgbr>

• Options
    Natural family planning?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh my goodness you have had a rough few months. I am sorry to hear that, sending you t&p.

As far as BC goes you can try another brand of pill like PP mentioned. I have had different reactions to them myself mostly nausea. I use Loestrin and it works for me and no nausea. Or what about nuva ring?

Have you tried any other anti-depressants? Those too are trial and error. I started on one and ended up on a different one. When the first one the OB prescribed didn't work they recommended a psychiatrist since their specility is those types of meds. Maybe try doing that. I am on a combo of Wellbutrin XL and zoloft. The zoloft really helps with the anxiety. I had taken Wellbutrin on it's on in the past and it made my anxiety worse so I took xanax along with it. Hope things start getting better soon, hang in there!

Lillian April 17, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"