Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Obsessed with head shape

My new obsession is my LO's head shape. He's developed some minor flat spots on sides and back. We always hold him up (carry him, etc.) when he's awake but he's a good sleeper so he is on his head alot. And he has taken most of his naps in his swing, which I've suspected has caused some of the flat spots. However, since all babies are supposed to sleep on their backs, is it basically inevitable that all babies will have some minor flat spots and that it will round back out once he sleeps less and is more mobile?

I'm a FTM so I worry about everything:) I'll ask the doctor how it looks in a couple weeks at his 4 month appointment but was curious as my DH thinks I'm crazy for worrying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Obsessed with head shape

• I'm also mildly obsessed with this. When O was a newborn, he really favored his right side when sleeping and playing on his back. He developed (what I believe is) a noticeable flat spot on the right side of the back of his head. Everyone thought I was crazy for wanting to keep him off of his back and being so concerned about it. At his 2 month checkup, the doctor said it was really so minor and that once he was on his tummy more and sitting up it would start to naturally round out on its own. She said if I hadn't brought it up, she wouldn't have even mentioned it (which is reassuring, considering I thought she was going to tell me he would need a helmet!) Now that he is bigger, he doesn't really favor that side anymore and he's also on his tummy and sitting up (in the bumbo or on the mombo pillow) so much more, so the flat spot has gotten better. I think we just hear so much about making sure the baby isn't always on his back it freaks us out to think we could potentially be the cause of a misshapen head!! O has his 4 month appointment in 2 weeks so we'll see what the Dr. says but I'm sure your LO's flat spots are like my little guy's- minor and temporary and just part of being a baby...especially since you are doing everything you can to prevent it!
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDCMerged:

My new obsession is my LO's head shape. He's developed some minor flat spots on sides and back. We always hold him up (carry him, etc.) when he's awake but he's a good sleeper so he is on his head alot. And he has taken most of his naps in his swing, which I've suspected has caused some of the flat spots. However, since all babies are supposed to sleep on their backs, is it basically inevitable that all babies will have some minor flat spots and that it will round back out once he sleeps less and is more mobile?

I'm a FTM so I worry about everything:) I'll ask the doctor how it looks in a couple weeks at his 4 month appointment but was curious as my DH thinks I'm crazy for worrying.

Yes, most babies will have some degree of flatness. Obviously some more extreme than others. Items where LO is laying on an incline (RNP, bouncer, etc) put more pressure on the backs of their heads than laying on a flat surface. You can help it by doing tummy time or using something like the Boppy Noggin Nest (see pervious post on this board). Things will also start to get better once LO is sitting up either assisted or unassisted, as it has the same effect of tummy time in the sense that you are getting LO off the back of their head.

Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I was, at one point, seriously obsessed w/ her headshape especially after she started sleeping more at night.  I asked the dr and she told me that the "new" approriate head shape does allow for a minor flat spot which is totally normal.  As long as it's not severe (ask your pedi, they hear it all the time I'm sure) so help reassure you. It really helped me a lot!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • if LO were a girl I wouldn't be as crazed about the head shape- cus girls usually wear their hair longer and you can't see the shape as much. but LO is a boy- and I have been going crazy the last month (and even more so the last week...)

I noticed about a week before his 2 month check up he was getting a flat spot on his right side (he loves looking to the right) so we started to combat it by putting toys on his left side (he was starting to bat at objects) the Dr didn't seem to worried, she said I could take him to a PT to get some neck exercises to stretch it out, but he can turn his head to the left just fine, he just doesnt' like to.  

then last week I went back to work, which was hard and I cried and then I felt even worse thinking the flat spot got worse, and that the daycare isn't going to help it... I felt like a terrible mother!  but my dad said this weekend it seems to be getting better.  LO is starting to sit up (with major support) but he isn't putting as much pressure on his head, and hes starting to push up during tummy time a bit more...so hopefully soon hell be off his back more (btw he also naps during the day on his tummy) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"