Attachment Parenting
Options

Self Soothing?

My LO is 6 months old and i EBF. The only way he will fall asleep is by nursing and during the night wakes up 3-5 times. A couple of these times he will act hungry and nurse for a while but mostly he just wants to suck a couple times and then he's back to sleep. I personally have no problem nursing him whenever he wants it, aside from the waking up and getting out of bed part haha, but many family members have told me I'm "spoiling" him and not letting him learn to self sooth which will put him at a "disadvantage" when he's older. 

Should I be doing something to help him learn to soothe himself to sleep? He doesn't take a paci. I don't want to neglect my precious boy but I also don't want to prevent him from learning how to soothe himself.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Self Soothing?

• Options

I bedshare so I don't have to get out of bed to do this, but DD is/was the same way. I've done very little to discourage it and she seems to be growing out of it on her own. I will try snuggles and rubbing her back before offering the boob. Sometimes she'll just go back to sleep, if not, then I know she wants/needs the boob. She still actively eats 1-2x per night, so I'm hesitant to refuse the boob altogether in case she's hungry. 

My mom asks me every time I talk to her if DD is still sleeping with me. You have to just smile and nod and change the subject when it comes to nosy family. Go with your gut! If your DS is like my DD, then he'll be changing a LOT in the next few months anyway (teething, crawling, standing, etc.) and sleep will be constantly evolving. Go with what works for your family. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well first, it's impossible to "spoil" a baby at 6 months old. Second, instead of a paci maybe try to give him your finger or let him figure out how to suck his hand? It worked for my godson and foster kids in the past. That way , you aren't neglecting him and he's learning to self-soothe in a secure way.

Being that this is my first biological child, I know this advice may seem silly, but it's a suggestion!

V|V TSP V|V
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in the exact same situation as you; I keep telling myself he will stop when he's developmentally ready, and I don't want to pressure him.  I believe this completely (really I do!), but I'm a FTM and sometimes doubt myself; well-meaning family members with unsolicited advice don't help the situation.  But I think it's very important to trust my instincts, so I just try to hold firm to them and remind myself that no one knows my baby like I do.
  • Options

imagemuffin87:
    Personally I feel like if it works, go with it for now. Your baby will stop nursing to sleep when ready. The No Cry Sleep Solution is a good option for removing the nursing/sleep association if you feel like you want to make a change.

I agree completely!  Both of my kids stopped wanting to nurse to sleep at bedtime by a year.  They still wanted to nurse at night so I night weaned when it felt like time - Callum night weaned around 16 months and we are in the midst of a very lazy night weaning with Eleanor right now. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"