April 2011 Moms
Options

Speech delay/autism screening

DS had his 18 month apt today.  He is only saying uh oh and mama.  Doc is having him get a speech eval (which I also had to go through with ds#1)  She also gave him an "autism screening" which she says they now give all patients.  I filled it out and she informed me that he "failed" because I answered 2 critical questions with no.  Now we have to see a neurologist.;(  I am scared for him and hoping this is is nothing more than a speech delay.  Has anyone else gone through this?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Speech delay/autism screening

• Options

We had our 18 month appointment today, and we did receive the autism screening as well, so it is probably something given to everyone.  DS passed the test, so I haven't been through this, but hoping you get some good news from the neurologist.  So sorry you have to go through this.

Good luck!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our 18 month appointment is tomorrow.

Can I ask what the 2 "critical" questions were? I am betting this is a precaution, causing stress to you, that will turn out to be nothing more than a speech delay, like you said.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My nephew didn't say more than a couple of words until after age two.  He would point and say "Ah, ah" a lot.  He also understood everything that was said.  Once he did start talking, he picked up words really quickly.  

We don't have our 18 month appointment until next Friday, so I don't have any advice about the autism screening.  I think some kids just develop at different rates.  

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options

We had our 18 month appointment on Monday and DD passed the test but I let the pediatrician that she doesn't have that many words - maybe 5?  She said as long as she understands what you are saying and that she is babbling, nothing to worry about for the next 6 months and at some point in the next 6 months the light bulb will go off and she will start talking.  I hope that nothing is wrong!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    My son has a speech delay. He only says dada with a lot of prompting and mama when something is wrong. He hasn't been tested for autism but he is being evaluated by a speech therapist next week and will likely begin therapy immediately.

Everything I have read and heard says its important to get even late talkers evaluated early because the earlier they get help the faster they will catch up.

Personally I am pretty scared for my son since we don't know what's going on yet.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it!

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

At Andrew's 18 month appt I had to do a little questionnaire - I assume that was the screening?  His pedi said he was fine and the number of words he had were appropriate.  My sister has seen him several times (she's a pedi) and mostly watched for his eye contact and how he interacts with people to check for autism.  Is your son social - making good eye contact with you and others and interacting well?  I'm guessing it's just a speech delay and it'll be cleared up in no time.

My niece barely talked until she was two and now she is a little chatterbox that never stops talking! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

So I am a speech therapist on the Austim Diagnostic Team at a large childrens hosptail in Chicago.  We have been advocating for all pedi to give the autism screener at 18 months, so it is exciting that all of you have been filling it out!  Good for your proactive pediatricans!

The screener has 7 critical items and the rest are not.  If a child fails even one critical item the pediatrican should recommend a developmental evaluation wtih a developmental pediatrican, as well as a speech eval.  It is so important to have early intervention wtih any delay or disorder, so you are doing the right thing by having him evaluated.  Dont get too nervous yet, screeners are designed to "identify" a large amount of people who may be at risk, and the the purpose of a failed screening is to continue on for further evaluation.   Lots of kids who has speech delay fail this screener, but go on to just do Speech therapy and do fine.  Kids with Autism have more difficulties and delays including, not pointing, lack of eye contact, reduced responce so name, not imitating things you do, and not showing you interesting items or toys.  They also often (but not always) have steriotypic movement, like spinning wheels of cars, flapping hands, obsessive jumping, toe walking, etc. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Jen- Thank you so much for your insight!  That really helped to shed a little light on what we are going through.  I am writing your screen name down in case I have any other questions!  I am trying not to get too concerned yet because he is very social with his brothers as far as bing interested in what they are doing and playing with the toys they play with.  He also smiles a lot.  The 2 critical questions he failed were He does not point at anything and he does not look in the direction of something we point at.  Another question she was "concerned" about was that he does not imitate facial expressions except smiling.  SIGH.  Both speech and neurologist apts are made for middle/end of nov.  Thank you EVERYONE for your kind words and thoughts/insight.  It really means a lot!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageloganlac:

We had our 18 month appointment on Monday and DD passed the test but I let the pediatrician that she doesn't have that many words - maybe 5?  She said as long as she understands what you are saying and that she is babbling, nothing to worry about for the next 6 months and at some point in the next 6 months the light bulb will go off and she will start talking.  I hope that nothing is wrong!!!

This is the same for us too.  DS says a small {very small} handful of words.  Maybe like 5 and even still, he rarely says them.  He babbles forever and understands commands and what different objects are, but he doesn't express anything in words quite yet.  When we brought this up at his 18 month appointment, his pedi didn't seem that concerned.  His thoughts were not to really worry as once they reach 2 and this is still happening then that is when they start doing therapy evaluations and such.  I'm still concerned, but trying not to stress too much.  DH's brother was the same way as a kid and once he turned 2 he was practically saying full sentences out of the blue so maybe it's just the stubbornness that runs in his side of the family coming through ;) 

Good luck to you and hope that everything is ok :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    | Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • Options

Ahh, we just did this too and I don't remember doing it for DD1. I remember having to circle a couple answers that made me think "hmm, that probably isn't the answer they want to hear on this question" but oh well. One of them was "does little one seem to cover their ears with certain loud noises" or something? Um, when my older one is screaming in her face, yes, it is loud, she will cover her ears.

We weren't able to even talk about the questions in our appointment though. DD2 got weight and measured and then spiked a 105 fever and turned our well visit into a sick visit with flu and strep for her and strep for her sister. Siggghhh.

I hope it is nothing to be concerned about for you!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options

also keep in mind that boys in general develop a bit slower than girls in speech and most other things. 

my brother didn't really start 'talking' until he was almost 3! i noticed you have 3 boys too...my brother was the middle of 3 and after my little bro was born my mom took him to the Dr to find out why he wasn't talking...

the Dr told her that maybe you aren't talking to him enough - she said she realized she was going through the motions of life with 3 littles ones and not necessarily paying as much attention to speech as she may have with the oldest.

the Dr suggested also to talk EVERYTHING through with him during the day...ie. "it's bath time, time to take off your clothes." "take off your shirt", or ask him what he needs to do now before he gets in the tub...more making conversation with him throughout the day instead of just doing

hope that helps and i hope all works out well! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"