Georgia Babies

My baby was in a car accident.

And it was the nanny's fault.  She made a left turn and didn't see an ONCOMING car.  It T-boned her Jeep Liberty on the drivers side.  The same side my baby's car seat is on. 

When I saw an email from my husband to "call me.  house phone" I panicked. 

When he told me that Millie was in an accident and needed to go to the ER I hyperventilated.

When I got home Millie was fine (but not really sure how fine) so per pedi's recommendation we took her to the ER.  She needs to be watched for 48 hours, but other than that nothing is wrong.

I am so, so, thankful.  this could have been so much worse.  Dh was happy I wasn't there to see the car that was totaled.  Omg.  So am I.

I am firing the nanny.  I understand it was an "accident", but how do I trust her driving ever again.  Not to mention the other issues I have with her.

One thing I learned...  If you have side air bags, do not put the car seat (infant) next to the door.  If they had deployed she could have been really hurt.  Thankfully in this case they didn't.  A convertible probably would have been fine though, in a front facing position.

I am still a bit a wreck with all of this.  But I am so thankful that there are devices made to ensure the safety of our babies.

Just wanted to share.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My baby was in a car accident.

• Oh.My.God.  Ally!!!!  I am so glad she is okay. 
  • That is so scary! I'm glad that Millie is doing well.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • OMG - SO glad she is okay!

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• How scary. Glad everything is okay.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So glad she is okay. Was ds in the car? Is the nanny okay?
  • Oh no! I'd be freaking out. Glad she is fine. I would fire the nanny too. I couldn't trust her even if it was an accident. Ugh I'm so sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  •   Both DH and I have been in accidents with DS in the car (neither were our fault).  You might want to hold off on firing the nanny until you have some time to recover from the shock.  Accidents do happen- to everyone.  Be thankful that your nanny was responsible and had Millie properly buckled into her car seat.  If possible, maybe cut back on the amount of driving the nanny does in the first place.  I am not sure how old the nanny is, but I imagine the accident was life altering for her as well.  Is there a way you can check her driving history (if you hadn't already) to see if this was a one time thing or part of a pattern for her?

I am so happy that no one was hurt.  It is a completely normal to be a mess after something like this.  We want to do our best to protect our LOs from all harm.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageJuelsr:

Both DH and I have been in accidents with DS in the car (neither were our fault).  You might want to hold off on firing the nanny until you have some time to recover from the shock.  Accidents do happen- to everyone.  Be thankful that your nanny was responsible and had Millie properly buckled into her car seat.  If possible, maybe cut back on the amount of driving the nanny does in the first place.  I am not sure how old the nanny is, but I imagine the accident was life altering for her as well.  Is there a way you can check her driving history (if you hadn't already) to see if this was a one time thing or part of a pattern for her?

I am so happy that no one was hurt.  It is a completely normal to be a mess after something like this.  We want to do our best to protect our LOs from all harm.

I understand that accidents are accidents.  But this was careless driving.  She got a ticket and admitted to not looking both ways.  We have other reasons to release her, this was just the last straw. 

• Omg, Ally - I am so sorry.  So thankful that Millie is ok. Big hugs to all of you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • So glad she's OK.
  • So thankful she is ok.  How awful that you all had to go through that.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm glad she's okay. I can completely understand letting the nanny go. I would never be able to trust her driving my kids again. It's one thing when it's someone else that hits you causing the accident but to admit to not looking and being at fault that's just not okay
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Understandable, especially if this just added to a list of concerns.  I have to admit to being paranoid about who DS rides with, besides DH and I, only his grandparents and Aunt ever have.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • oh ally.  that is so scary.  i'm glad everyone is ok.  i'd do the same thing you are doing.  
  • Oh, Ally! That's awful! I'm so glad Millie is okay! Thinking of you guys.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so sorry very scary! Half she is ok but I agree I'd have to fire the nanny myself.

• I'm so sorry very scary! Glad she is ok but I agree I'd have to fire the nanny myself.

• On a side note, I would double check with her insurance company (maybe start with yours to make sure that is the right place to go), but if a car seat has been in an accident severe enough to total the car, many insurance companies replace the seat.  (Even if the insurance company doesn't cover it, I would replace it for piece of mind).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm

• I'm so glad she is fine.   
  • Oh my, how scary!!  I'm glad that she is ok!
  • I am so sorry that happened to y'all and I am glad to hear she is OK.  Poor little thing!  That would have scared me to death to get that news too!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • So glad that Millie is okay!! I'm like you and would have a hard time trusting my nanny with my kids in the car again (or anyone else).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJuelsr:

On a side note, I would double check with her insurance company (maybe start with yours to make sure that is the right place to go), but if a car seat has been in an accident severe enough to total the car, many insurance companies replace the seat.  (Even if the insurance company doesn't cover it, I would replace it for piece of mind).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm

Thanks.  We are all over that.  We borrowed a carseat from a friend for the time being.  We have told the nanny (who we did let go this evening, and she totally understood) that we needed to be reimbursed for the ER visit and the carseat we plan to buy.  We have her insurance info, but I have never heard of the company.  Anyway, we'll be in contact with them for sure.

• So glad she is ok and so sorry you even ever had to get that call. I can not imagine. 
  • Glad to hear she is ok!
  • That is frightening I can't imagine!! I would have been a crazed lunatic. I am SO GLAD Millie is ok. You did the right thing letting the nanny go. I would never again have been comfortable with her watching my kids. GL with all the insurance stuff and I am so happy she is ok. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How terrifying, so glad Millie is ok!
  • So glad Millie is ok!!!
  • That must have been a terrifying thing to go through! So glad she is OK!
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• How very scary!!! I am so glad she is ok.

After 6 long years of TTC and a traumatic birth... I finally got to hold my baby in my arms!

'Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.'Psalm 37:4

2006 start TTC

2007 Start w/ RE (Endo and MFI previous marriage)/ 2008 Vericocele surgery/3 clomid cycles
    2009 Lap removed stage III endo/ 2 failed IUI/ Divorce

2011 Remarried
    October 2011 Dx: Endo & DOR/ November 2011- clomid & TI cycle
    January 2012 IVF~  Flare protocol 10 ER/ 9 mature fertilized with ICSI/ ET- 2 Grade A Blasts/ 4 frozen= BFN
    Febuary 2012- -Endo Biopsy/  MTHFR diagnosis
    March 8- FET 2 grade A blasts= BFP!!!!

November 2012-  Charles was born by emergency C-Section

Dealing with:
    Stage III Endo/ DOR/ MTHFR two mutations C677T & A1298C

Currently TTC #2  FET planned January 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"