Postpartum Depression
Options

not sure if I have PPD

I've been having a hard time adjusting to having DS (and I already have a 3 year old DD).  He's not a bad baby, much better than DD was actually but things just seem super stressful right now.  During the day it isn't too bad but once the evening hits and I'm trying to get him to sleep I just feel like I'm going to loose it and end up crying.  DH is really struggling this time as well so I can't really get a break.  I'm also feeling a great deal of guilt that I don't have the energy or want to play with DD a lot and that I have no patience for my 3 week old son.  How can I tell if I have PPD or if I'm just overtired & stressed?

Re: not sure if I have PPD

• Options
    First of all, you're not alone! I only have my 8 month old son, but it's the same for me; no energy to play, and evenings/bedtime are killer.

If you're having a rough time the best thing to do is talk to your doctor. I waited 7 months to talk to anyone, which I know is horrible, especially since I've struggled with depression and anxiety since high school. I knew what was happening, but it was still hard to talk to anyone about it. All you can do is tell your doctor your concerns and how you are feeling. He will probably ask you tons of questions, like how your appetite is, sleep, energy and general mood. Don't be ashamed to get and take whatever help you can! You're an awesome mama for looking for answers and help already!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Talk to your doctor! It sounds like you could some help, be it meds or therapy or something else. The first step to getting help is to ask. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Im having the same problem right now. And I just had my 6wk doc appt. Since Im not sure whether its depression or just lack of sleep the doc told me to try taking Vitamin D supplement every day and if possible to get outside as much as possible.

That might be something you can look into. This way you dont start taking an anti-depressant if you dont really need it 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was feeling the exact same,,,, the new baby wasn't getting the best of me & even though both my kids are really pretty great, I wasn't having any genuine fun with them. I felt insincere when I smiled at my new baby because I was either trying to do for my older LO, or do for her & felt so drained & confused... Mine was worse the second I woke to the early afternoon & once my husband got home I pretty much felt like my brain melted, couldn't remember when I last fed etc,,, I hope you see your doc! I feel way better & I just acknowledged this at my doctor  yesterday. gl! 

• Options
    Talk to your doc. If it is PPD, you want to catch it before it gets really bad. Meds can take a few weeks to start working.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"