Military Families

High Risk vs. Complicated Birth?

Hi,

This is my first post in this section. Because I have Type 1 Diabetes and Hypothyroidism, I was told by my PCM that I had to be seen at the hospital's OB Clinic for High Risk. I've been having a very hard time coordinating with them, and I've been on the waitlist to get in to my next appointment.

Today, they called and said I couldn't be seen by the waitlist providers because they have reclassified me to Complicated Birth. I asked what that meant, and he said it meant I was no longer classified as High Risk. Gee, thanks for that clarification. :/ I still don't know what it actually means.

Anyone used to these terms at an Army hospital, and what it means for me, the baby, and our care moving forward? 

Re: High Risk vs. Complicated Birth?

• I don't know what it means but I would certainly push for an explanation. I would be concerned that they were arbitrarily downgrading me just because they were overloaded with patients and not because my situation warranted it. I suggest seeing a patient advocate for some help in getting resolution.
  • I agree with AQM.  I'd go see an advocate.  That just doesn't sound right.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I ended up getting an appointment on Friday with a new to me doctor, and I'm going to ask for an explanation then, and follow up with an advocate if it seems warranted based on what they tell me.

Thanks for the advice!  

• Update. Had a new doc today, that I really liked. He said there is no difference. Some call it High Risk, some call it Complicated Birth. Evidently, for some reason it just took a while for them to update me in the system, so I was being switched from regular to Complicated Birth. Since this is my 3rd appt in as many weeks, he said they were already treating me that way, it just hadn't been registered yet or something, so the appt. clerks couldn't see it until now. 

Glad to hear it won't be an issue. :) 

• That's good to hear!  Hope it all goes well from here on out for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"