Postpartum Depression
Options

could it be ppd?

Can it be ppd if the symptoms come and go? Or does it have to be a constant thing? How do I know if its ppd versus tired and hormonal. I'm ten weeks out. If its possible for it to come and go and you have experience, I would like to hear your symptoms and how you knew. Thanks!!

Re: could it be ppd?

• Options

I started feeling sad/depressed around 5-6 weeks PP but it wasn't daily. I would have good and bad days. L also had colic and reflux, very fussy baby so I figured that was part of it along with lack of sleep. Around 8-9 weeks I started taking meds and they didn't work, everything got worse, I really hit a wall, not good. I finally got on meds (Wellbutrin xl and zoloft) and for past 2 months I have been feeling great.

My symptoms were sadness, crying a lot, very tired, not hungry, irritable, I felt I wasn't bonding with the baby, I didn't want to take care of her, I just kind of went through the motions everyday.

With all that said, I think you can have good and bad days, they don't all have to be bad or 24 hours a day. If the bad days are getting in the way of your day to day or they are more often then the good then maybe there is an issue. I think you should call your doctor and talk to them about it. Hope you feel better! Don't wait too long and don't feel silly about calling them, that's what they are there for.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    imagekatieh1017:
    I started feeling sad/depressed around 56 weeks PP but it wasn't daily. I would have good and bad days. L also had colic and reflux, very fussy baby so I figured that was part of it along with lack of sleep. Around 89 weeks I started taking meds and they didn't work, everything got worse, I really hit a wall, not good. I finally got on meds Wellbutrin xl and zoloft and for past 2 months I have been feeling great.
    My symptoms were sadness, crying a lot, very tired, not hungry, irritable, I felt I wasn't bonding with the baby, I didn't want to take care of her, I just kind of went through the motions everyday.
    With all that said, I think you can have good and bad days, they don't all have to be bad or 24 hours a day. If the bad days are getting in the way of your day to day or they are more often then the good then maybe there is an issue.nbsp;I think you should call your doctor and talk to them about it. Hope you feel better! Don't wait too long and don't feel silly about calling them, that's what they are there for.

Thanks. Besides the crying alot that's kind of how I feel. I mean its just random, not constant. And not all the time. Just once and a while. I mean I have days where I'm in a great fun mood.I feel awkward calling my Dr. I'm not one that is very open with my feelings and I don't want to be the crazy one calling and it not even be ppd.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMkay&Billy2011:
    imagekatieh1017:
    I started feeling sad/depressed around 56 weeks PP but it wasn't daily. I would have good and bad days. L also had colic and reflux, very fussy baby so I figured that was part of it along with lack of sleep. Around 89 weeks I started taking meds and they didn't work, everything got worse, I really hit a wall, not good. I finally got on meds Wellbutrin xl and zoloft and for past 2 months I have been feeling great. My symptoms were sadness, crying a lot, very tired, not hungry, irritable, I felt I wasn't bonding with the baby, I didn't want to take care of her, I just kind of went through the motions everyday. With all that said, I think you can have good and bad days, they don't all have to be bad or 24 hours a day. If the bad days are getting in the way of your day to day or they are more often then the good then maybe there is an issue.nbsp;I think you should call your doctor and talk to them about it. Hope you feel better! Don't wait too long and don't feel silly about calling them, that's what they are there for.
    Thanks. Besides the crying alot that's kind of how I feel. I mean its just random, not constant. And not all the time. Just once and a while. I mean I have days where I'm in a great fun mood.I feel awkward calling my Dr. I'm not one that is very open with my feelings and I don't want to be the crazy one calling and it not even be ppd.

It is a hard thing to talk about..I have dealt with depression in the past and it's still not easy. You could even start off your conversation to your doctor by saying you aren't sure but haven't been feeling yourself lately, feel weird about talking about it but wanted to just see what they thought. Good luck, pm me if you want anytime!  

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    Just call the doc even if you're embarrassed. I was too but everyone treated me with care and respect. I wasn't sure I had PPD either but knew I needed help. My OB didn't think I was depressed either but suggested I see a therapist. I didn't feel silly for seeing my OB, I got the help I needed! GL.
  • Options
    I think society has a negative opinion on ppd so as a woman we feel bad for askig for help. At least that is how I feel.
    lolololo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"