VBAC

Looking for Hope??

I have been geared up for a VBAC since the day after my c-section 18 months ago.
Well, here I am 5 days before RCS  and I'm not dilated, not thinned, +2 station. And I've tried it all. Pineapple, EPO, sex, walking, skipping, jumping jacks, spicy food, jogging, .....everything!

My OB said she doesn't expect me to progress enough in the next 5 days for a VBAC, but that she has seen it happen....so tell me, has it happened to you?

Re: Looking for Hope??

• I guess my question is- how far along are you?  Will you be 41+ weeks at the c/s date or is it possible to move the date later if you are still hoping for a VBAC?

The hospital I went to required that I deliver by 41 weeks (I had changed hospitals because the first one put the limit at 39 weeks, which is insane).  I was not dilated at all that day but was given the option to attempt an induction prior to the surgery.  I did and it worked.

There are definitely people who haven't progressed at all and deliver the next day!  It definitely happens.  But if you are in good shape and the baby is in good shape and delaying surgery is an option, please feel comfortable to ask for it- otherwise, I hope labor kicks in for you soon!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I'm sorry, I'm 39 weeks, c/s scheduled for 40 weeks on the dot, OB and hospital won't let me go over, nor will they induce a VBAC. I understand their reasons for both, and mecially I agree with them, but it doesn't help my heart.
  • Loading the player...
  • Would you feel comfortable refusing the RCS?  You do have rights in that area.  But I do realize that they might drop you as a patient and there are other things that come with that.

I was the same place you were at 39 weeks.  I was the same place at 40 weeks.  I had my baby via VBAC at 40w, 5d.  I was a fingertip dilated the morning I went into labor.  Anything can happen.  IMO, 40 weeks is too early.  But I will say that even if you have to do 40 weeks, you could definitely still go into labor on your own before then.

If it was the night before my RCS, and I didn't have a choice... personally, I would try more "aggressive" ways of inducing  labor on my own, like pumping or castor oil.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagepreg_amy:

Would you feel comfortable refusing the RCS?  You do have rights in that area.  But I do realize that they might drop you as a patient and there are other things that come with that.

I was the same place you were at 39 weeks.  I was the same place at 40 weeks.  I had my baby via VBAC at 40w, 5d.  I was a fingertip dilated the morning I went into labor.  Anything can happen.  IMO, 40 weeks is too early.  But I will say that even if you have to do 40 weeks, you could definitely still go into labor on your own before then.

If it was the night before my RCS, and I didn't have a choice... personally, I would try more "aggressive" ways of inducing  labor on my own, like pumping or castor oil.

Both Dh and I like my OB a lot. Our daughter was a preemie(hence the original c/s) and she pretty much saved her life. I don't want to swtich now and I know he would be REALLY against it.
    I know it's like the biggest no-no of 'natural' labor induction, but I told DH I'm trying castor oil on Friday night if nothing by then. uggg......I hate that my body just doesn't know what to do with babies!
  • imageelisbu02:
    imagepreg_amy:

Would you feel comfortable refusing the RCS?  You do have rights in that area.  But I do realize that they might drop you as a patient and there are other things that come with that.

Both Dh and I like my OB a lot. Our daughter was a preemie(hence the original c/s) and she pretty much saved her life. I don't want to swtich now and I know he would be REALLY against it.
    I know it's like the biggest no-no of 'natural' labor induction, but I told DH I'm trying castor oil on Friday night if nothing by then. uggg......I hate that my body just doesn't know what to do with babies!

That's not true at all! 40 weeks isn't some magical date that all babies come by. Going past 40 weeks with a VBAC isn't a huge risk, either. I'm assuming you've talked to her about it, but maybe pushing back, or trying to schedule the CS even even a few days later might work. In the end, it's your right to do a VBAC, (even though your OB might not agree or support it).

I agree with amy and you - I would try castor oil if I didn't have any other options.

Good luck!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I don't have a whole lot to add here other than to say that my VBAC baby was born at 41 weeks 3 days.  I was 1 cm dilated at 41 weeks and went into labor on my own 3 days later.  My first baby (not my cs - that was baby number 2) was also born at exactly 41 weeks and 3 days.  Some women / babies just need longer than 40 weeks.  If I were you I'd really think about that 40 week deadline - there are no huge risks associated with staying pregnant past your due date (assuming you don't have any medical issues that haven't been mentioned).

• Fwiw, if you do do castor oil, I'd talk to a doula or some such to get a safer, more moderate dosage. 

I went into labor on my own a day before my scheduled induction (my doctor was ok with an induction for VBAC) and the one thing that I did the day before was a very relaxing reflexology appointment. A local spa actually had one of their massage-people (I cannot figure out how to spell the correct word!) trained in reflexology.  

Good luck - I hope baby comes!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh - and my VBAC baby was born around 40 wks 5 days as well. 
  • average first time mom goes into labor at 41.3 weeks.

if you didn't labor to complete you are similar to a FTM. I've seen a LOT of VBAC moms go into labor and successfully VBAC at just past 41 weeks (41.1-41.3) because they and baby were ready and doctor was supportive.

personally I'd refuse the c/s, if necessary I'd lie and have an excuse (last mintue work thing for me or DH , family issue, babysitter unable to keep kid and having to scramble for child care, etc.) and not be able to schedule until after 41 weeks. 

at this point your OB can't drop you so do what's best for you not what is easier for him. unless you have some complication there is no evidence that delivering right at 40 weeks is necessary.

also unless you were charting and 100% sure of dates you could have Od late and not even be 40 weeks at that point.

• A doctor cannot just drop a patient who is 39 weeks pregnant--they have ethical and legal obligations.  So you have rights here.  If you feel comfortable with it, you can refuse the c/s at 40 weeks.  There is no need to force you into a c/s just because you reach your due date.  Studies have shown that VBAC is safe after 40 weeks.  Policy or not, your rights come first and they cannot make you have surgery, so it is kind of silly for them to say it is policy at all.  You can talk to your doctor about the evidence that VBAC is safe after 40 weeks and try to push the RCS date back.  

Have you asked about trying a Foley bulb induction?  It does not increase the risk of UR.

If you don't feel comfortable with any of that, I would just keep trying things like nipple stimulation, walking, etc.  GL. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"