Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Normal? Or possible speech problem?

DD1 still is not able to make a hard "c" or "k" sound.  It still comes out as a "t" sound.  Also, when she says "th" or "sh" sounds, they come out as "s" or "t" sounds.  (Sorry about all of the quotes, I'm neurotic about puncuation.)  She's finally able to put "sp" together, like when she says "spoon" or "special" but not every time.  Sometimes I have to remind her and she'll correct herself.  Oh, and she has a hard time with "g" sounds.  I'm just wondering if this is still normal for her age?  And if it's not, any suggestions for how I can help her pronounce the words correctly?  When I correct her, sometimes she gets frustrated because she thinks she's saying words right but I keep telling her she's not (in a nice way, of course).
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Normal? Or possible speech problem?

• Options
    I would ask your pedi for an evaluation by a speech therapist, and let them decide. Can't hurt, right?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Or does your school district do evaluations?

sounds pretty normal to me. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When my girls were in speech therapy back when they were two the therapist gave me a list of what sounds they should be able to make by a certain age. I cannot find it for the life of me now, so I cannot answer about your DD specific sounds she isn't able to make right now. But what I can say that stood out in my mind after looking at the list is that there were certain sounds that are not normally achieved until children are 6 years old. This surprised me because I would have thought by 5 kids would have mastered most of language sounds. But I guess it is really normal not to be 100% on letter sounds until the end of first grade. So my point being it sounds pretty normal to me being that she is 3. My girls are 4 and they have problems saying the "L" sound at the beginning of words. Like the word love, they put a "y" sound at the beginning. They can make the "L" sound in the middle of a word, like the name Elliott (a friend at school, they say her name perfect). So I would say it is normal.

I am sure the chart the speech therapist gave me can be found online, just google it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image-auntie-:

Deveopmentally normal. The blends and diagraphs are typically the last to come "on line" in children.

I get that you are the punctuation police, but back off on this or you risk making your child anxious, self conscious and less likely to express herself. The two things you can do, model proper/standard pronunciation yourself withou drawing attention to her error and give her time to mature developmentally.

https://www.iched.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=iched&item_id=child_speech1

ITA.  Your DD sounds normal to me.  Articulation is a separate skill and it comes later than speech.  You can model correct pronunciation, but don't correct your DD or try to make her practice pronouncing words.

• Options
    What she is doing is completely normal right now. If you are truly that concerned, set up an evaluation with a speech therapist. You can mimic the correct sound for her and ask her to repeat it but don't harp on her about it. You don't want to stress her out.  It is very common for 3yr olds to not have 100% intelligible speech 100% of the time.
  • Options

imageMaxandRuby:
    What she is doing is completely normal right now. If you are truly that concerned, set up an evaluation with a speech therapist. You can mimic the correct sound for her and ask her to repeat it but don't harp on her about it. You don't want to stress her out.  It is very common for 3yr olds to not have 100% intelligible speech 100% of the time.

All of this.  My DS fronts almost every word- he makes almost every word start with t.  "Mama may I tease to to ta tore wif you?"  Mama may I please go to the store with you.  Or "I teaned my tate" for I cleaned my plate.

Because he was speech, OT and PT  for over a year, he's used to therapy mom.  I alwways repeat back- "OH youcccccccleaned you pppppplate? Awesome!"  But if he's happy, well fed, well rested and I know he can handle it, I'll press a little.  "I heard "to."  But the word is go.  Say /g/.  Good!   say gah.  Gee.  guh. go!.  YAAY!

I have heard him make each sound in isolatiion, so it's just helping put it in words.  Because of all of DSs speech issues, we play alot of silly sounds and word games to help him practice, but that way it doesn't trip up or interfere with actual communication.  But totally normal- even for non speech kiddo.

• Options
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

how is everybody here a speech/language therapist?

I really couldn't tell you what sounds/blends, etc. my DD makes correctly or not.  I understand about 90% of what she's saying on the first try, and the other 8% on a second try - and maybe 2% I have no idea what she's saying.  I figure if she's communicating and getting her point across, even if she has some pronunciation errors, that's good enough for now.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I really couldn't tell you what sounds/blends, etc. my DD makes correctly or not.  I understand about 90% of what she's saying on the first try, and the other 8% on a second try - and maybe 2% I have no idea what she's saying.  I figure if she's communicating and getting her point across, even if she has some pronunciation errors, that's good enough for now.

Isn't it nice so many people have had an array of professional and personal experiences that they want to share them when someone asks for opinions?

• Options
    imageKathrynMD:

Both my kids have each spent years in speech therapy, therefore I've spent years in speech therapy.  Therefore I feel I am qualified to post a link to a graph.

Smile

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

Those aren't actually articulation errors, they are phonological processes...just a technicality.  Here is a chart of phonological processes and ages when they should be eliminated.  

https://www.speech-language-therapy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31:table3&catid=11:admin&Itemid=117

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"