Health & Exercise
Options

Blue cheese in mac-n-cheese

Hi all,

I know you're not supposed to eat veined cheeses while preggo but the other day I had some mac-n-cheese (cooked) that had some blue cheese in the sauce (did not know it before I put it in my mouth!)

Should I be worried? Or is it okay since it was a hot dish?

Thanks!

Re: Blue cheese in mac-n-cheese

• Options
    Since there are no cheeses sold in stores that are un-pasteurized, you are fine. The danger is eating unpastuerized cheese. Any cheese you buy at a store in the US is safe!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't say for sure if its safe as I don't know much about what you can and can't eat while pregnant. My friends who have been pregnant felt comfortable eating the soft cheese if they were cooked into something like a casserole or pizza.

Also, I want to let you know that they do sell unpasteurized cheese in the US, for example if you have a grocery store with a fancy cheese section they may have unpasteurized cheese and you should check the package and store signage to make sure if you are concerned about eating unpasteurized cheese.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagessmb_clarinet:
    Since there are no cheeses sold in stores that are un-pasteurized, you are fine. The danger is eating unpastuerized cheese. Any cheese you buy at a store in the US is safe!

There are lots of  non-pasteurized cheese sold in stores.  I ate a lot of pasteurized blue cheese during pregnancy but even if your blue cheese wasn't, cooking it will make it safe.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Safe!  Because of the way high heat, if it was unpasteurized (which it probably wasn't), it would be fine to eat.
  • Options
    You can eat blue cheese. You can't eat unpastureized cheese, which is very rarely sold in stores/restaurants in the United States. You should be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You're totally fine as others posted. It was heated even if it wasn't pasteurized prior to that.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 09/2009 * EDD 6/19/2010 * Born 6/12/2010

BFP#2 6/03/2012 * EDD 2/09/2013 * MC @ 5w2d 6/13/2012

BFP#3 8/30/2012 * EDD 5/16/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"