Nurseries and Baby Gear

Graco Pack n' Play - SIDS risk??

So my MIL got us the Graco pack n' play with the napper/changer attached so baby can sleep in our room the first couple of months or so. It just occurred to me that the napper part doesn't seem to be "SIDS approved"... aren't you supposed to lay them in the middle of a crib with nothing else, even bumper pads? Am I just being overly cautious? I can't imagine Graco would make something, call it a "napper" which to me implies the baby should SLEEP there, and have it be unsafe. But maybe? Thanks, ladies!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Graco Pack n' Play - SIDS risk??

• Here is an article written by the authors of the popular Baby Bargains book.  This should help you.

https://windsorpeak.com/babybargains/2011/10/19/play-yards-newborn-nappers-safe-not/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • i had DS in the napper for the first 4ish weeks, and the bassinet after that. to me it is really no different than the RNP that everyone loves. 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageBabySmiles31:
    So my MIL got us the Graco pack n' play with the napper/changer attached so baby can sleep in our room the first couple of months or so. It just occurred to me that the napper part doesn't seem to be "SIDS approved"... aren't you supposed to lay them in the middle of a crib with nothing else, even bumper pads? Am I just being overly cautious? I can't imagine Graco would make something, call it a "napper" which to me implies the baby should SLEEP there, and have it be unsafe. But maybe? Thanks, ladies!

This isn't what you asked... BUT we got a PNP with all of the extras, also.  We used the bassinet part a lot.  The other add-ons, not so much.  When it came time to store all of the extra pieces, I realized what a PITA it was, especially for the little parts you only use for a short period of time.  Graco recommends the napper for "supervised sleep," whatever that means (I think it's pretty vague).  I don't know if you can/want to exchange it for something more basic it will work just as well.  My two cents.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We used the napper portion only when ds napped during day in family room. At night he slept in a bassinet for 6 weeks then was transferred to crib at night. We stopped using napper around the same time and transferred to the regular portion of the pack n play
  • I don't have any personal experience, but did alot of reserach.

The "napper" feature isn't the safest thing for the baby, but you can use the bassinet portion for up to 15 lbs.  I heard it's better to use that than the Rock n Play because The RnP gets the baby too accostomed to sleeping at an angle and it's harder to transition to crib.

I am planning to use the Pack n Play, then crib.

• I feel silly for asking but the "napper" is the removal base type thing between the bottom and the bassinet and the changer? Or is the napper the bassinet type thing that sits on the top. 

Thanks! I am still trying to learn all the names of baby gear.  

• imagej_gayla:

I feel silly for asking but the "napper" is the removal base type thing between the bottom and the bassinet and the changer? Or is the napper the bassinet type thing that sits on the top. 

Thanks! I am still trying to learn all the names of baby gear.  

The "napper" is the cushy seat that sits kind of on top of the side rails. What PnP actually considers as the "bassinet" is the flat mattress piece that is raised up about 12 in below the top of the PnP. The bassinet piece can also be laid in the very bottom of the PnP.

Photobucket
  • We didn?t use the napper, just the changer. We used from the bassinet part from the beginning. But we had to add the MamDoo Kids mattress topper for much needed extra comfort and support (the "mattress" in the pack n play was too hard for our baby). It is firm and folds in 3 (very portable). Good luck!
  • I have a friend who's four month old baby passed away from SIDS in July. I would not use the napper- it's not worth the risk :(
    Married since June 2008

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    TTC Post Chemotherapy
    Unexplained Infertility

DH- SA Normal, Lap on 8/8/13
    BFP! 11/7/13 EDD 07/15/14 changed to 07/23/14 after first u/s

My Ovulation Chart

• I wouldn't use it to sleep in at night--get an actual bassinet.  I used it for LO to nap in during the day--while I was in the same room.  It was great to have someplace for DD to sleep without having to go upstairs and put her in her bassinet.

I agree with PP though--I don't think it's much different from the RNP that most people rave about.  FWIW, I wouldn't use the RNP for night time. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • imageBabySmiles31:

Follow up question to this - we live in a 1 bedroom so crib is on one side of the bed and pack n play on the other. I assume baby should just go ahead and sleep in the crib from the start since it's just as close so we can use the napper/ changer as just a changer. Does that sound right? I imagine it would be a pain to be flipping the napper/ changer in the middle of the night to change him but I have no idea.

TTC since 8/10.Hypothyroidism, put on Synthroid. Clomid 50 mg + IUI Oct '11 = BFN. HSG found blocked tube Nov '11. Lap + Hysteroscopy to remove tube and fix septum Dec '11. Cancelled following cycle due to lack of response to Clomid. Jan/Feb '12 Clomid 100mg + Folllitism + HSG + Vivelle Dot + IUI #2 = BFN. 3/30/12: Natural Cycle BFP - beta 59 @ 12dpo, beta 286 @ 16dpo Baby boy arrived 12/8/12!
  • DS slept in the Napper in the same room as us for at least 8 weeks, until he got close to the weight limit. No problems. Then we used the Bassinet for a while, but when he moved it shook a little, so we moved to the bottom of the PnP.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"