LGBT Parenting
Options

Imaginative Family Play

So I have noticed this in Ky for a while and I kind of wondered what happened in other houses.

Ky received a dollhouse complete with furniture and people (adult male, adult female, child girl, and baby of unidentified gender). She loves it and plays with it constantly. Sometimes alone and sometimes she asks a grown up to play with her. She usually only plays with the adult female that she calls mommy and the baby which she calls baby but every once in a while (like when she cannot find the "mommy") she will pick up the adult male doll and she calls it daddy. The first time she did this was not long after we got the set and she had only ever played with it by herself. I was floored. We read lots of books and they include a variety of family types. I have no idea where she came up with the "traditional" family titles. ANyone else have a child that adheres to this? I am thinking of picking up a second "mommy" doll and putting it in there just to see where she goes with it.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Imaginative Family Play

• Options

I think its pretty normal...i post about RB doing something similar a while back and a lot of people said their children did it too.  We bought 2 sets of people to go with her dollhouse and she will still almost always use 1 woman and 1 man to make her family mommy and daddy.

its kinda sad to me.

• Options
    imagethemommymonster:

Does she spend time with other kids who have a daddy? C spends time with the neighbor kids and took to calling their dad daddy because he heard them say it. We correct him to say his name (Mr. J). He also refers to my dad as dad because he hears us say it, even though he knows he is grandpa and will call him that sometimes.

She may be calling the doll "daddy" because she hears men be called daddy. :)

She does. My brother watched her until she was about 19 months old and my nieces and nephews call him daddy. Also we do not have ANY gay friends that have kids. She calls my friend K's husband daddy like their daughter does, despit eme trying to correct her to at least call him J's daddy. And my sitter is married and her husband is off on Fridays and so is around sometimes and her son calls him daddy.

Oh and She has called my mom mama LOTS of times and even occasionally called me by my given name when she hears my parents say it lol.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

this is so interesting .. I thought KY called A DADA???? So kids have no idea of gener at that young of age so perhaps she perceived A as a male figure and thus the name DADA and just kind of floats on with it ...

I knwo when i worked at a Elementary school  the k-1st graders were so perplexed by the fact that I was a girl who looked like a boy with a boys name but really could not decipher where I should play meaning should I be the daddy or the mommy .. 2nd graded were just starting to piece it together but if they did not grow up knowing about a 2 mom situation then it seemed harder for them.  My nieces were playing house with my nephew and they were trying to make him the husband so they could have a wedding and he was not interested.. SO oldest niece who was 5 said hmm.. to lil sister 4  we dont need Brother we can get married like Auntie M and J ... but then they ask if I am S and L's Dad or mom so its a bit tough ...

Sorry I hope that makes sense but i can see where it might be sad. I'll let you know when we get there.

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"