Working Moms
Options

nanny with her own two kids...thoughts?

Hello everyone, 
Newbie member here...I am a FTM looking to hire a nanny for my newborn. After speaking with some applicants that left me less than impressed, I found a woman who really seems like a GREAT fit for many reasons (great experience, educated, handles herself very professionally, truly loves children, etc, etc). The kicker is...she will have a newborn baby as well AND a 3 year old of her own she'd also like to care for...in HER home.... 

We were originally considering daycare so the idea of our baby being around other children (with divided attention) isn't necessarily a drawback to us.  We are hiring a nanny because we need flexibility with hours (early morning drop off), not necessarily because we need one on one attention or someone to do housecleaning.  Also we would be avoiding "nanny taxes" as she would be considered an independent contractor; we would also be saving a considerable amount of money as we plan to pay less than the going nanny rate (I envision something more along the lines of a nanny share or in home daycare). These are not minor points for us financially speaking...

I guess I'm just looking for feedback from others (non FTM's). I am going back and forth- on one hand I envision my child being the more easily "neglected" one since he won't be her child....but on the other hand, she seems very capable, is not a newbie mom, has lots of experience with babies and children besides her own, and the financial perks would be a significant plus for our family. Has anyone else had a similar situation or have any insight? Thank you!

Re: nanny with her own two kids...thoughts?

• Options
    imagesilverbmer:
    on one hand I envision my child being the more easily "neglected" one since he won't be her child

This would be my biggest concern.  I have a few friends who have had issues with this in the past.  Plus how are you going to handle things when her LO's are sick?  You'll be without daycare, or you're just going to have to expose your LO to whatever her kids have.   Kids that young are sick all the time and if you're without daycare when either your kids or her kids are sick, that's a lot of time off work.    I don't think I'd be comfortable with that situation, but I know others who are and it's worked out great for them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Ok here's my opinion.

NO WAY.

My problem isn't the other kids around.  Obviously women can care for multiple children.  It's the NEWBORN.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses....to clarify a little bit, my baby will be 5 months old when I go back to work full time, and her baby will be the same age (we are both due around the same time).  We're not talking 6 week old infants here, but as a FTM...I can't say I know how the babies being a bit older would make any difference, if any.
  • Options

I would not do this.  First of all, if I was paying for a nanny, she would be coming to my house.  No way would I send her to someone else's home. 

Her little baby would also be a problem for me.  I would want my child to have more attention. 

• Options
    I wouldn't do it. She has a newborn that is high priority over your child.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Absolutely not.  Two infants and and a toddler?   Unless she's Mary Poppins,  I don't see that arrangement working out well for anyone.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Have you met her 3 year old? Is the child clingy or fairly independent? If she's rather independent, I wouldn't mind this set up. People take care of twins and toddlers, I don't know why she couldn't take care of her kid, her baby, and your baby. In home daycares also tend to be one adult to a few babies. They make it work out too.

Does she intend to stay home all day? Or does she envision herself running errands? I wouldn't be okay with her trying to drive places and take care of errands because then her attention would be further divided.

Daycares complete logs for the children in their care (when diaper changes are, when, what, how much the baby is fed, any accidents, etc.) I would ask that she do this for your child. That way you'll see that your child is being changed and fed consistently and at reasonable intervals.

If you have issues with TVs being used as babysitters, I would suggest discussing this before care begins, as well.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I wouldn't go for this. No matter how great she seems, her kids would be #1 priority vs yours. And she wants you to go to her? This seems all convinient for her but not for you. IMO one of the perks of a nanny is they come to you and give your child 1 on 1 care. Sounds like a sahm trying to make some vs being a nanny
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

from what I've seen on this board, most of the women who post here are fans of day cares.  I used a SAHM, although her children where school aged, for DD and it worked out great.  There are plenty of moms who have twins and an older one and they manage just fine.  I'm still on leave and DS is a very easy baby, DD can be a bit of a PIA sometimes.  Unfortunately I treat DS very differently then I treated DD, I put him down alot to tend to her and I don't get to play with him as much as I did with her, but that could have gone on when DD was at the sitter too.  I also would have a huge problem with someone taking two babies and a 3 year old anywhere other than a walk to a park.  

IMO, I'd give it a try until the spring, that way you keep your LO out of all the daycare germs in the winter and see how it goes.  If you're not happy you can switch to a daycare then.  FWIW I'll be using a daycare for both my LOs when I go back, so as much as I prefer home care, I'm not totally anti daycare, you've got to do what works for you. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options

I actually disagree that she'd favor her kids over yours. I also disagree that should couldn't handle 2 infants and a 3 year old. Don't moms with twins do it? Don't in home providers do that all the time? I know mine does. She has a 4 month old, 8 month old (DS), 15ish month old, 2 year old and a couple older ones. Granted ALL of the kids are not always there at the same time but she functions just fine. Oh and she also happens to be my mother and doesn't favor DS over the other kids.

OP, your setup is completely doable it really just depends on the particular nanny. You say she has experience, is professional, etc. which makes me think she's got a good head on her shoulders and would be able to handle it. I'd choose her over other nannies that you were less than impressed with.

Like others said though, make sure you draw up a good contract and arrange for back up day care should it be necessary.

ETA: I'm no nanny but as I'm thinking about it, I think if I was caring for another baby along with DS I might actually favor the other kid a bit in terms of making sure all needs are met to the T. Not that I'd neglect DS by any means but since I'd be getting paid to take care of the other kid that would give me motivation to make sure I'm not neglecting him at all. Honestly, it's 2 babies, not 10, should an issue arise one baby might be ignored for 1 minute while the other is dealt with. Not the end of the world.

• Options
    My neighbor used to watch my ds2 when he was 6 months old to a year old, until I became a sahm. I am back to being a wohm now and ds2 is 4.5 now.

She had her own 6 months old and a 3.5 y.o. and it was working great for us! If I was running late from work, I knew he was safe and fed.

If my kid was sick, I kept him home. If hers got sick, she separated them ad much as she could.
  • Options
    Personally, I would not do this arrangement. However, both kids at the same age,  it think would be easier on a schedule for feelings,diaper changes and naps. If you do consider bkup care for vacates,illnesses, drs apps.  Remember the 1st two yrs have numerous wellness CDs.
  • Options
    My DD started regular DC at 5 months and my DCP (another mom) had her 6-month-old DS and 6-year-old DD (home during summer).  I have confidence my caregiver cares for my DD very well - albiet both her kids are both more demanding personalities (my DD is very easy going) - but the DCP is well aware of that and appears to make an effort to balance it.  Now that my DD is older it's all the more clear she is comfortable there and enjoys herself.  GL!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Options
    The babies will be old enough when you start that they won't be too high maintenance.  They can play together.  I don't think it's a big issue.  If it works out for you financially, give it a shot.  Just take care in how you write the contract and make expectations clear up front.  A professional nanny is not going to neglect your child.  She will bond with your LO just as any caregiver would.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    My sister in law is a SAHM to two little boys and she became a nanny to a girl and a boy (siblings) to make some extra income for her family.  She treats the girl and boy that she cares for as if they were her own children.
  • Options

imageskibunny59:
    My sister in law is a SAHM to two little boys and she became a nanny to a girl and a boy (siblings) to make some extra income for her family.  She treats the girl and boy that she cares for as if they were her own children.

Just to clarify and offer some more information, my sister in law does stay home the whole day with the kids.  Sometimes she takes them in the backyard to play outside but she is always home and doesn't try to run errands with all the kids.  She did get herself licensed as an at home daycare.  (This is something I would definitely check out.) 

She has taken care of the little girl and boy for about 3 years now.  The little boy and her older son are best friends because they are the same age and the little girl and her younger son are also the same age.  The two older kids do go to preschool twice a week so even though she doesn't run errands or anything, she does take all the kids in the car to drop the older to off and pick them up from preschool.

She really has developed a nice relationship with these two children and their family.  Like I said, she cares for them as if they were her own children.  Personally, I would prefer this type of arrangement than a daycare center.

• Options

This isn't a nanny, this would be a babysitter.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

• Options

First of all, I agree with the others that she isn't what I'd call a nanny.  To me, a nanny is someone who comes to your house to care for your child, so really, this set up benefits her the most, not you, because she doesn't have to deal with getting her kids up and out the door in the morning.  I know people do this every day with their kids, but for us, it's one of the perks of having a nanny.  Not sure if you've priced out nannies in your area, but I would not pay her a nanny's salary since you are taking your daughter to her house AND she has her own children at home.  Your situation sounds more like a home daycare(possibly unlicensed?)

Also, our first nanny brought her 3 year old with her and it didn't work out for us at all.  Her child was super needy and didn't understand why her mom couldn't pay attention to her and was taking care of a 6 month old.  She wasn't napping anymore, and the nanny had a hard time keeping her daughter quiet while DD was napping.  The nanny was great - good with DD, lots of experience, etc.  So, that arrangement lasted a month, and because of that, our current nanny is childless and has been with us over 2 years. 

• Options
    New to this board, but this is very similar to what we'll be doing.  The only difference is that our provider is a good friend.  She has 3 boys - one is in 3rd grade (he walks across their street to school), one will be 4 yrs and the other will be 10 months.  Our LO will be 3 mo when I go back to work.  I have no doubt that she will take excellent care of our LO.  Her DS that will be 4 is an amazing kid.  I don't know if she's licensed or not, but I know she's done similar things in the past.  She's great about doing activities and such.  I do plan to make sure she has carseats, I don't want her trapped at home.  I've known her 6-7 years now and have absolute faith that our LO will be well loved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"