Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Nature's One formula

Has anybody used this? Like it? I have been doing research on formula, as we use it occassionally... and by occassionally I mean once a week or when we leave LO with someone else.

I had seen that they make a Lacto Relief that is made with brown rice syrup rather than corn syrup- our LO is super gassy at 8 weeks.

Thanks!

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nature's One formula

• Options
    If you don't mind my asking, how has using formula on occasion been working out for you?  Do you do it so you don't have to pump?  I ask because I was thinking of doing this myself since I will be working one night a week.  For the most part, DS will be in bed before I leave so he doesn't need a bottle, but lately he's been waking up at odd times.  I was thinking of having some formula around just in case.  I really dislike pumping and I need a bottle so rarely that it doesn't make much sense to have to pump three times just to get one "just in case" bottle every week.
  • Options

I actually have a Medela Swing and I love it. However, my husband and I are on totally different schedules, so its been hard for me to pump. I am only gone one night a week so I try to pump just enough to freeze just for that one night, throughout the week. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Sometimes LO gets fussy right after eating, and I can't take time to pump. So then he has to give her formula.

She takes a bottle just fine for being 99% EBF but sometimes she fights the bottle with me, but takes it easily from my husband. It works for us!

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read a really interesting article about making your own formula with raw cows milk or liver and a few other ingredients. I forget the website, but I'll check and let you know later!
  • Options
    We considered Nature's One and Earth's Best and finally went with Earth's Best.  I wasn't comfortable with the fact that Nature's One uses rice products due to recent studies about arsenic levels.  DD did really well transitioning from BM to the Earth's Best when my supply tanked at 10 months.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    I know about the arsenic! Right after I ordered it from amazon I saw something about it... I will be returning it and going with Earth's Best- thanks for the recommendation!!!
    imageimage

• Options

Earth's Best uses synthetic DHA/ARA created by Martek labs.  These oils, said to improve brain and eye development, are derived from fungus and algea through hexane extraction.  The oils are then deoderized and bleached - does this sound like a process that should be happening in organic formula?

Enfamil, Similac, Earth's Best - I've tried them all in my quest to find a formula that didn't smell and taste disgusting.  If I was grossed out by it, I didn't want to feed it to my baby.  I use Nature's One - the only formula that doesn't make me gag when I smell it.

Unfortunately, arsenic is in pretty much everything - it's in our water, fruits vegetables, and a lot of other products that grow in the soil.  I trust organic brown rice syrup over GM corn and hexane laced DHA/ARA anyday.

www.wildorchidmama.wordpress.com

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagearvizu1010:

Earth's Best uses synthetic DHA/ARA created by Martek labs.  These oils, said to improve brain and eye development, are derived from fungus and algea through hexane extraction.  The oils are then deoderized and bleached - does this sound like a process that should be happening in organic formula?

Enfamil, Similac, Earth's Best - I've tried them all in my quest to find a formula that didn't smell and taste disgusting.  If I was grossed out by it, I didn't want to feed it to my baby.  I use Nature's One - the only formula that doesn't make me gag when I smell it.

Unfortunately, arsenic is in pretty much everything - it's in our water, fruits vegetables, and a lot of other products that grow in the soil.  I trust organic brown rice syrup over GM corn and hexane laced DHA/ARA anyday.

www.wildorchidmama.wordpress.com

Might want to check your sources--Earth's Best does (did?) use a hexane extraction method (which is FDA-approved) for the DHA and ARA, but absolutely does not use bleach.  No residual hexane has been found in the formula.

I've read articles stating that the government banned the hexane extraction method for infant formulas, so I'm not really sure if that process is still used.  Either way, I prefer the synthetic DHA and ARA to rice syrup for something that is being consumed in large quantities each day.  There have been more and more reports recently about significantly limiting infants' rice intake due to arsenic.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"