Pre-School and Daycare

Kind of Concerned re: Halloween

DD is very excited about her cupcake costume and going trick-or-treating, but I am afraid she's going to be totally freaked out. We've been talking about masks and makeup, but she really can't handle anything REMOTELY scary. She STILL talks about my "kitty makeup" from last year that totally traumatized her (I think we are now okay w/ kitty makeup). Tonight, we watched "Blue's Clues" and she was crying and saying "turn it off" when there was mildly spooky music and a cartoon "haunted house" (that really wasn't scary at ALL! Basically just a house with some cartoon cobwebs). She also was super worried in Backyardigans when there was a mildy suspenseful part about needing to switch the train tracks or the train would crash, and wants to skip pages in books that she deems "scary."

Any tips? Anyone go through this last year and come out the other side? She's 3 1/2.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Kind of Concerned re: Halloween

• I am in the minority I know.... I hate Halloween. It's scary and we don't give our kids candy and would never let them go to a stranger's house asking for things.

That being said I decided a long time ago that when our kids were old enough I would throw a neighborhood Halloween party. Nothing scary, no candy, just fun and games for little kids. 

Find something small for her, or something in day light. If you trick or treat do it before dinner when the older kids with scary masks are not out yet. Or find a local mall to t-o-t in.

GL!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Last year our next-door neighbor's yard display really scared DD1. It was a ghoulish thing that popped up from behind a tombstone and made scary noises. 

They have a really scary yard/door display every year, and others around the neighborhood do, too.  

We made up a non-scary explanation. He was a friendly ghost who liked to play, he was playing hide and seek, he didn't mean to look scary, etc. I also let her choose whether she wanted to go TOT at the "scary" houses. She loves their dog, so she did; and they turned off the door display while we were there, but the yard one went off as we were leaving and still scared her. 

She had a few nightmares and eventually got over it. I think it'll be easier this year.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • DD was scared the first time she saw the cartoons this yr too. But then she began watching the repeats and really getting into it. 

Is the school having the kids dress up for a party?  This may put her at ease when she sees her friends dress up.  We go trick or treating early like at 5 pm with the other little kids (skipping houses w/ scary decorations).  I think the older kids, who dress scarier, trick or treat later at night.  By this time, DD should be in her pj's winding down for bed time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I usually don't have any expectations about trick or treating. One year we made it to 3 houses before DS was freaked out. The next year we did a little more. And maybe this year will be more. As soon as he wants to go home, we do.

• We went through this last year when she was 3.5.  It was a really rough Halloween, one that gave her nightmares for months.  She is just so scared of EVERYTHING!!! Even still.  She is really terrified of masks.  However, all she can talk about this year is going trick or treating again.  She is still pretty scared of masks so I'm not sure how this year is gonna go.....
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Our DD is like this too (also 3.5) she runs from the room when anything she deems scary is on the TV. However she loved Halloween last year and I think the draw of candy makes the fear of ghosts kind of nonexistent LOL.

Our DD is going as Batgirl this year (she was a cupcake fairy last year).

I think your DD will be okay but if she does get too scared just walk her home. And remind her that it's not real. That usually works for our DD.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe the candy will outweigh everything else! We have evening trick-or-treat here. We're going to one party with other kids in their neighborhood on a Saturday and then our own trick-or-treat is on Halloween. We'll muddle through. We probably won't go to very many houses Halloween night, just Grandma & Grandpa's house and a few neighbors. So far, there aren't many scary yard displays up, so that is good.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"