Toddlers: 24 Months+

brushing teeth?

So Lo will be 3 in Dec and still swollows toothpaste. Anyone else Lo not good at this. And I brush her teeth cuz she sucks on toothbrush. When do you floss teeth I tried she wouldn't let me in with floss lol.

Re: brushing teeth?

• mine's the same
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is going to sound embarassing, but we haven't attempted flossing yet.  Ds has extreme sensory issues, especially related to anything oral, so we still have to hold him down to brush his teeth, and we will still use the Oragel training toothpaste geared for toddlers.   We can't be doing too bad of a job, because at his first dental appointment the dentist said his teeth look great, with no cavities. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty sure that it's normal, because otherwise the toothpaste wouldn't be specifically for young children.

I've read that you should help your child brush their teeth until about age 8, because they can't do it properly until then.

And floss... I wouldn't even think about it for the next little while, as least in my case.

• Ds still swallows the toothpaste as well. I'm working on teaching him to spit but it's hit or miss. We've been flossing for about 9 months now. I bought these little flossers that come in the shapes of a snake, seahorse and a dinosaur. Every night ds picks the flosser and we floss for him. It was suggested that we do this by the hygienist at his 1st dentist appt. His bottom front teeth are tight together so it's easy for plaque to build up. The flossing has made a huge difference.

• DD still swallows toothpaste. We use the Orajel training toothpaste and I brush her teeth. I haven't even once attempted to floss. Sh!t, I barely floss my own teeth.

• My DS only sucks on the toothbrush as well.  He sometimes brushes around for a few seconds.  Most of the time we have to take it from him after he has had some time and brush they really good ourselves.  We still use the toddler toothpaste too b/c of him swallowing.  My son fights us and it takes two of us to brush his teeth...so no...I am not EVEN going to try to floss right now. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I am really glad to see other people have problems brushing their children's teeth also I thought it was just me 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"