C-sections

RCS question and when you got to hold your baby

I had an unplanned emergency c-section with ds and the whole experience was very traumatic.  Luckily everything turned out fine and he was healthy, but when he came out he needed to remain under the heat lamp for quite some time and I remember crying for the nurses to bring him to me.  So my question is, with a RCS (which I will be getting in mid Feb) do you get to hold your baby right away after you're sewn up?  Was the heat lamp thing a unique situation or is that the norm? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

Re: RCS question and when you got to hold your baby

• I got to hold both girls immediately.  They laid the baby on my chest in the OR and I got some snuggles in, then DH went with the baby to recovery where they waited for me.

As soon as they locked the wheels on my bed, they put my baby in my arms.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for asking this question. I wanted to know this too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • With a scheduled c-section I was able to hold baby right away
  • Oh good, I'm glad that it sounds like the situation with my ds was unique in that he needed the warmer for so long. I hope I can hold this baby right away.  While I was waiting for ds the nurses would come in and check on me and ask if I needed anything and all I would say is. "um, yeah, how about you give me my baby". 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• In my hospital, as long as all is well, the baby goes immediately to dad.  They hold baby near me to nuzzle, touch and say hi, though I won't be physically holding baby quite yet.  Then as soon as the procedure is over, we all wheel over to recovery where I get to hold baby and breastfeed.
  • It varies.  With two of my c sections they put the baby on my chest for a little bit and I got to hold them in recovery.  With my last c section I got to touch the baby briefly and then they whisked her off with my husband to do stuff.  I didn't get to see her until 2 hours later and I was FURIOUS.  She was completely fine, evidently it was policy for c section moms.  They had her under a heat lamp when she could have been snuggling with me and trying to nurse.  I'm delivering at the same hospital this time and I'm planning on pitching a fit if it happens again.  All of my c sections were scheduled.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • They showed LO briefly to me in the OR and then I got to hold him briefly in recovery and then he had to go to the NICU.  I didn't get to see him again for about 12 hours.  DH could go and see him but I could not due to being in recovery.  However, my situation was because he had low blood sugar.  If he had been healthy, I think I could have seen him immediately.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • DH held DS for a little while, and then they put him under the heat lamp. I don't remember how long - I was pretty groggy from drugs. I did get to hold him pretty soon for a little bit in the recovery area (and bf there, too), but my arms were really shaky from the drugs and I was afraid to hold him too long for fear of dropping him. And then he got sent to the NICU after they moved us into our room, and I didn't see him for hours.

• I don't remember exactly how long it was before I got to hold DS. I know I would have been able to hold him sooner, but due to the epidural I was freezing cold and shaking from the moment they wheeled me into the OR and for a good while after. I waited until the shaking stopped before I held DS. I'm hoping that I won't have the same reaction this time around and if all is well with LO, I can hold him as soon as I get to recovery.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagepayn0045:
    In my hospital, as long as all is well, the baby goes immediately to dad.  They hold baby near me to nuzzle, touch and say hi, though I won't be physically holding baby quite yet.  Then as soon as the procedure is over, we all wheel over to recovery where I get to hold baby and breastfeed.

This exactly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my RCS last Tuesday and as soon as DS was delivered they wrapped him up and placed him on my chest for me to kiss and snuggle, after that he and DH were sent to my recovery room while they sewed me up. In the recovery room I got to hold him as soon as they got his temp up to normal, he had dropped a bit, but his warmer was in the room with us. After my meds wore off and we were moved to my room he was taken for a bath and shots, as soon as that was done he was back in my arms. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Dh was the first to hold each of the kids but he brought them to me so I could touch/kiss etc them.  I didnt actually hold them until I was in recovery
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I was emergency Csection not traumatic though. She inhaled some meconium and she needed just a tad bit of oxygen and suction. DH brought her to me within 5 min and laid her on me and I wrapped my arms around her.
  • I had a normal/uncomplicated c/s after my labor failed to progress, and DD was healthy.  They sort of laid her next to me, on my arm, with DH nearby.  I could not really hold her, however, in that first hour because my arms were shaking so badly (a side effect of the epidural.)  They tried to help me BF within that first hour, but I was still numb, so it wasn't all that successful.

Overall, we had a good birth experience despite the minor setbacks.  It all really flew by now that I look back on it.

• imageLucyD1029:
    I held DD as they wheeled me down to the recovery room, so pretty much as soon as they stitched me up.

This

• My baby and husband were waiting for me in the recovery room as soon as I got out of the OR and I got to feed and nurse her there.  
  • I think I had all of mine nursing within about an hour. the first hour after the surgery is pretty fast and you're being checked over and over and the baby is getting bathed and so on. It'll feel like 10 minutes. I know that all of mine came to me in recovery to nurse, but I was shaking so badly that someone else had to get them all going. 
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well I am not the norm, at least I hope. My C-section was unplanned but not emergency that I know of. However I was not even allowed to see my LO for 24 hours, I was so heart broken. The closest I got was able to see a picture of him that my DH was able to go snap. Praying that this time I will be able to see and hold LO much sooner this time, as I think our BF suffered horribly from our lack of contact and then his subsequent NICU addmission. Glad to hear that many of your got to see your LOs within a short amount of time.

• i was holding my baby while they were stitching me up. good luck!
  • i was holding my baby while i was being stitched up. 

she came out of me, flew over my head to be changed and measured and such, and then i held her with my hubs while they finished stitching me.

her eyes were closed and she was mostly chilling out in her swaddle. 

• imagepayn0045:
    In my hospital, as long as all is well, the baby goes immediately to dad.  They hold baby near me to nuzzle, touch and say hi, though I won't be physically holding baby quite yet.  Then as soon as the procedure is over, we all wheel over to recovery where I get to hold baby and breastfeed.

Mine was not a RCS, I had an unplanned c-section after she got stuck in the birth canal, but this is how it was for us too.  There was meconium when my water broke, so she did not go straight to my H, but had there been no complications she would have gone straight to him.  Even with the meconium it was just a few minutes before she was handed to H and he was able to hold her up to my face.  I was able to hold her as soon as I was in the recovery room.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"