VBAC

How far in advance did you decide?

I don't know why I am already trying to decide how my next baby will come out because I am not pregnant, and I'm a year (or two) away from trying.

When did you start trying to decide RCS vs VBAC?

I'm leaning towards RCS because at least I know what to expect and I can plan for it.  My first one flipped during labor, so I had an unplanned c-section.  I was thinking I could try to make it fun by having a whole day of pampering the day before.

Just a little background - I was determined to have a drug free birth and my husband even got me a trophy that said, "congrats on your first natural birth" haha or something like that.  I still kinda want to say that I did that.

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How far in advance did you decide?

• I decided right after DD was born. I knew I wanted to do whatever I could to have a VBAC.
  • imageseells:
    I decided right after DD was born. I knew I wanted to do whatever I could to have a VBAC.

Yup. Pretty much when I was told I would need to have a cesarean with DS, I set my heart on a VBAC for the next time.

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • Loading the player...
  • I knew I wanted a VBAC right after DS1 was born, but I went through times where it did seem like a RCS would be easier. By the time I got pregnant again (he was 22 months), I was back in the VBAC camp.

How many kids would you like, total? That was a big factor for me, CS get riskier with the more you have.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I decided the moment I started researching CPD and realized it was a crock. I want to say that was about 3 months post partum when I was piecing together my delivery.

We are TTC right now and I went as far as to find a supportive VBAC OB/GYN already. I felt weird interviewing potential OBs for a VBAC when not pregnant but they understood I wanted to be established with one doctor from the start.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageseells:
    I decided right after DD was born. I knew I wanted to do whatever I could to have a VBAC.

This.  I immediately started second guessing everything that happened during my induction. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well I almost want to say right after DD was born but the truth is that I found CS recovery so terrible that I wasn't even sure I wanted another kid. I didn't get the baby bug until DD was 2 even though DH had it long before me and was pushing for VBAC if I agreed to another pregnancy.

I definitely agree with finding a VBAC supportive provider as early as possible. The only time my OB mentioned RCS was at my first visit when he asked what my preferences were. I told him hands down VBAC and that that was why I was his patient. I never heard the words "CS" again. Not even when DS and I were both in distress in labor... He was born vaginally and medfree in the end.
  • I asked my OB about having a vbac when I was still in the hospital with DD1. I had a horrible c/s experience with her, and I knew we were going to have more kids.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Right after I scheduled my RCS (so like a month before my due date). I remember scheduling it and then turning around and talking with my OB about a VBAC. I kept my scheduled date...but ended up going into labor 2 weeks early and got my VBAC.

Soooo happy I made the decision to "try!"

• I knew within a week of having DD1. While in the hospital, I was told by my midwife that VBAC was a possibility. Soon after I started researching it and decided I definitely wanted to try.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I knew after I had my first son that I wanted a VBAC next time. At my 6 pp check up I verified my doc was pro-VBAC & they are VERY pre-VBAC there. I knew I would stick with them. We didn't start TTC again until my son turned 2. There was never a question that I wanted a VBAC. The question now is will I get mine because I have so many issues that are getting in the way (like placenta previa).
  • I was really unhappy about my long induction ending in a c/s and at first I said "well next time I'll just schedule a c/s.". Then I started to think about having another baby one day and I knew that I really wanted a VBAC.  But I had a lot of doubt whether I could have one.  I felt like my body had failed.  my OB told me that I could never deliver a full-term baby vaginally because my pelvis was too small.

Sometime in my daughter's first year, I started to really research VBAC and CPD and I realized that a lot of what my doctor told me was not supported by science, and that I would actually have a decent shot at VBAC.  Once I realized that, I was determined to try.  I was very fortunate to live in an area with many good supportive providers, so I was able to pick the option that seemed best for me, and I had an uncomplicated VBAC about 2.5 years after my c/s.

I don't think it is weird to be thinking about this even if you are not pregnant/TTC.  it is helpful to figure out what you want and find a supportive doctor or midwife before you get pregnant.  GL!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I knew before I even had my 1st c-section.  DD was breech and the midwife told me I could absolutely VBAC with the next pregnancy before we went into surgery.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I knew while in the operating room having my section that I would try to avoid it with my next baby. My c-section was awful and I never wanted to repeat that but knew I wanted 3 kids.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"