January 2013 Moms
Options

Epidural vs. Spinal Block (for c-section)

Ok... let me preface this by saying I am all for women researching all possibilities for child birth. I had an all-natural, unmedicated vaginal delivery with DS and I am planning the same this time around. With that said, I know things can happen that you are not expecting. Therefore, I would like to have a "plan" in case of an emergency c-section, or if baby is breech or whatever happens. I have seen some ladies mention they had a spinal block.... what is the difference between an epi and a spinal block? I just made the mistake of watching an epi on youtube. I almost fainted.....

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Epidural vs. Spinal Block (for c-section)

• Options

TBH I have no idea what the difference is.  Well, outside of the fact that an epidural may or may not leave you completely numb (and they can control the level of numbness, supposedly) and a spinal block is meant to leave you completely numb.  I guess that is the difference ;)  But as far as the medical difference, I don't know.  It's administered the same way as far as I know. 

IME, the epidural did not work for me.  I had a spinal administered when I had my C/S though and it worked immediately.  Because of my experience I would never, ever entertain the idea of having an epidural for a C/S if both are offered.  I can tell ya that!  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    i've had both. When it was an emergency csection they used an epi (i honestly dont remember being asked...they just said "this is whats going to happen" and it all happened REALLY fast). With my RCS that was planned my ob said she will always use a spinal unless theres a medical issue not to.The difference that I noticed, was the epi took until the next morning to completely wear off, and with the spinal block i was able to walk around a few hours after my son was born. Im not sure as to the more medically specific reasons as to why they use one as opposed to the other. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i also have to give you major major props for asking this. I try to tell everyone i know who has NOT had a csection to educate themselves on what would happen if they did need one. I personally never ever thought of it once when i was pregnant w/ my first, and it was most certainly not in my birth plan. so when the worst happened in the L&D room and i was told that i was having one...i was totally CLUELESS as to what was going to happen and what was going on. Go you for wanting to be knowledgeable and prepared for the 'just in case'!!!!! 
  • Options

imagemest1215:
    i've had both. When it was an emergency csection they used an epi (i honestly dont remember being asked...they just said "this is whats going to happen" and it all happened REALLY fast). With my RCS that was planned my ob said she will always use a spinal unless theres a medical issue not to.The difference that I noticed, was the epi took until the next morning to completely wear off, and with the spinal block i was able to walk around a few hours after my son was born. Im not sure as to the more medically specific reasons as to why they use one as opposed to the other. 

Ok that was my next question... if its an emergency can they still do either a spinal or epi. Thank you! I was worried they'd have to knock me out!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemest1215:
    i also have to give you major major props for asking this. I try to tell everyone i know who has NOT had a csection to educate themselves on what would happen if they did need one. I personally never ever thought of it once when i was pregnant w/ my first, and it was most certainly not in my birth plan. so when the worst happened in the L&D room and i was told that i was having one...i was totally CLUELESS as to what was going to happen and what was going on. Go you for wanting to be knowledgeable and prepared for the 'just in case'!!!!! 

Yeah I just want to be prepared... and if there are options (spinal vs epi) I want to know about each of them so I can make an educated decision at that time. I am also preparing for a breech baby even though that most likely wont happen! HAHA! Honestly... an epi/spinal block scares the crap outta me and the thought of a c-section makes me light headed.... not kidding.... so I really need to get past that so if it were to happen I wuoldnt be a big huge mess! Although I am 100% confident that it wont happen! If that makes any sense at all......

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yup, i was in excruciating pain and i remember the nurse and to literally hold me in a "fetal position" bc i obviously was moving in pain every time i had a contraction. She helped keep me still while they brought in the anesthesiologist to put in my epi. 
  • Options
    I had both. An epi for labor, then I had to have an emergency c/s, so I got the spinal while on the table. I'm not sure of the difference. I had no illeffects from either. Was able to move my legs soon after surgery, bf asap, no lingering back pain, pooped the next day....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagemest1215:
    Yup, i was in excruciating pain and i remember the nurse and to literally hold me in a "fetal position" bc i obviously was moving in pain every time i had a contraction. She helped keep me still while they brought in the anesthesiologist to put in my epi. 

Did you/do you get to hold baby right away?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagePrivacyWanted:

There's also a difference in where the medicine is placed, and with a spinal you feel Nothing, where in an epidural you're more likely to feel at least something 

This.  When I delivered my son (sleeping) I was an emotional wreck and decided to get an epi only because I just could not handle anything else.  When they put it in, I was instantly numb from the waist down.  We knew right away that it was in the wrong space.  They asked me if I wanted it adjusted, but I was too tired and didn't really care at that point.  It was so fast, that I was not even able to get back in bed. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagemest1215:

Yeah I just want to be prepared... and if there are options (spinal vs epi) I want to know about each of them so I can make an educated decision at that time. I am also preparing for a breech baby even though that most likely wont happen! HAHA! Honestly... an epi/spinal block scares the crap outta me and the thought of a c-section makes me light headed.... not kidding.... so I really need to get past that so if it were to happen I wuoldnt be a big huge mess! Although I am 100% confident that it wont happen! If that makes any sense at all......

Its scary, any surgery is in my opinion. but i have to say that its amazing how the drs/nurses really kind of 'shield you' from the scary stuff. at least in my experience, they did a good job of not making me feel like i was on the sidelines in my own babys birth. They did a great job of keeping my mind on baby and making me feel safe. they just kept saying "you're doing great hon! in a few mins we'll know if its a he or she. what do you think its going to be"...just anything to keep me positive and happy while they were doing 100things at the same time.  they make you very calm and relaxed and it goes SOOO fast that by the time you get yourself worried..you'll be hearing the baby cry and all that worry just goes away bc you are focused on baby!  

• Options
    imagemest1215:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagemest1215:

Its scary, any surgery is in my opinion. but i have to say that its amazing how the drs/nurses really kind of 'shield you' from the scary stuff. at least in my experience, they did a good job of not making me feel like i was on the sidelines in my own babys birth. They did a great job of keeping my mind on baby and making me feel safe. they just kept saying "you're doing great hon! in a few mins we'll know if its a he or she. what do you think its going to be"...just anything to keep me positive and happy while they were doing 100things at the same time.  they make you very calm and relaxed and it goes SOOO fast that by the time you get yourself worried..you'll be hearing the baby cry and all that worry just goes away bc you are focused on baby!  

That is wonderful Katy! Thank you for sharing that with me :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

From birthcut.com

imageBoth the spinal cord and nerves are contained in a sac full of cerebrospinal fluid (or spinal fluid). The space around this sac is the epidural space.

Spinal anesthesia (A) is a shot administered through a needle directly into the spinal fluid, therefore it it works much faster than an epidural, and has a lesser chance of providing inadequate or uneven numbness. It is a single shot so it does have a time limit and will eventually wear off.

Epidural anesthesia (B) is often used for cesarean sections when it's already in place, such as during a labor where the woman has already received an epidural for pain relief. The epidural is administered by placing a needle in the epidural space, which is located just outside the fluid filled sac, and a very thin catheter is then threaded through the needle into the epidural space. The needle is carefully removed, and the catheter remains and is taped to your back to secure it into place. Numbing medication is then administered periodically, so you are able to maintain pain relief over long periods of time, which can help with controlling pain after surgery.

Epidural anesthesia doesn't work as quickly as spinal anesthesia, and may not numb as evenly or as "densely".

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelindsey913:

From birthcut.com

imageBoth the spinal cord and nerves are contained in a sac full of cerebrospinal fluid (or spinal fluid). The space around this sac is the epidural space.

Spinal anesthesia (A) is a shot administered through a needle directly into the spinal fluid, therefore it it works much faster than an epidural, and has a lesser chance of providing inadequate or uneven numbness. It is a single shot so it does have a time limit and will eventually wear off.

Epidural anesthesia (B) is often used for cesarean sections when it's already in place, such as during a labor where the woman has already received an epidural for pain relief. The epidural is administered by placing a needle in the epidural space, which is located just outside the fluid filled sac, and a very thin catheter is then threaded through the needle into the epidural space. The needle is carefully removed, and the catheter remains and is taped to your back to secure it into place. Numbing medication is then administered periodically, so you are able to maintain pain relief over long periods of time, which can help with controlling pain after surgery.

Epidural anesthesia doesn't work as quickly as spinal anesthesia, and may not numb as evenly or as "densely".

Thank you! That definately clears things up. So question..... with the epi I know the tube stays in there.... with the spinal block do they just inject it and take it right out?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagemest1215:

No, DH was. as SOON as baby is out, they pick baby up over the curtain so you can see, then they cut the cord and bring him/her over quickly for you to see closer. Then DH goes w/ the nurse to the little incubator station right next to your head to get cleaned up and weighed and all that good stuff...so you can still see and be a part of it. It was kinda nice for my DH bc he looks back at those moments and theres so much of pregnancy and nursing a newborn and things like that men cant be a part of, but this was like his special moment. being the first to pick up and hold the baby is something he cherishes. Then once DH picked up the baby after all that...they will let him sit right next to you with the baby so you can bond for those few mins while they get you sewed up and ready to go to recovery. Then once i was wheeled into recovery and helped to sit up, DH handed me baby.  it was literally like 15mins from birth to recovery room. 

• Options
    imagemest1215:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagemest1215:

No, DH was. as SOON as baby is out, they pick baby up over the curtain so you can see, then they cut the cord and bring him/her over quickly for you to see closer. Then DH goes w/ the nurse to the little incubator station right next to your head to get cleaned up and weighed and all that good stuff...so you can still see and be a part of it. It was kinda nice for my DH bc he looks back at those moments and theres so much of pregnancy and nursing a newborn and things like that men cant be a part of, but this was like his special moment. being the first to pick up and hold the baby is something he cherishes. Then once DH picked up the baby after all that...they will let him sit right next to you with the baby so you can bond for those few mins while they get you sewed up and ready to go to recovery. Then once i was wheeled into recovery and helped to sit up, DH handed me baby.  it was literally like 15mins from birth to recovery room. 

I wonder if that differs per hospital..... yet another question to ask my MW!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagePrivacyWanted:
    I got to hold DD right away, I think they were still even cutting the cord?  My then hospital had a high c/s rate, but takes a modern approach.  My arms weren't strapped down or anything.

Some places strap your hands down!?! WHAT!!!

Yeah- I will definately be pushing to hold DD right away if I end up in this situation! They can weigh and measure her later!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagemest1215:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagemest1215:

Definitely ask about holding baby right away.  IME I wasn't able to hold DS for quite a while.  After he was born they took him over to the little warming table and did their various things.  Then he was given to MH to hold for a little bit and then MH went with DS to do whatever they do (I know that they gave him a bath and such).  He did snuggle DS up to my face so I could smell him and kiss him and such but I couldn't touch him otherwise because they had my arms strapped down to the table.  I honestly don't know how long MH got to hold him, it didn't seem like long, but everything was really fuzzy about my C/S after DS was out.  They gave me a shot of something to make me relaxed/woozy and I don't remember anything from after MH and DS left me to where my family met me back in recovery. 

Now, with that said, I didn't get to hold DS or try to nurse for over an hour after I had been back in recovery.  There were no complications, this was just standard hospital procedure.  Since then, I have found that you have options with this and can somewhat dictate what happens postpartum.  For example, they don't have to strap your arms down, you can do skin-to-skin immediately as long as there are no complications with baby, I've even seen some people say baby was allowed to stay with them the whole time.  I plan to meet with the OB that's part of my practice specifically to go over with him what my options are if I have to have another C/S.  I will absolutely have a written birth plan for both my labor and in the event of another C/S.  

And 100% ditto PP about it being important to prepare for every outcome even if you're not planning for it.  I didn't plan for a C/S, yet had one.  Even knowing that FTMs are looking at nearly a 1 in 3 C/S rate I just thought it wouldn't happen to me, you know?  It's a huge regret of mine that I didn't prepare for it.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagePrivacyWanted:
    I got to hold DD right away, I think they were still even cutting the cord?  My then hospital had a high c/s rate, but takes a modern approach.  My arms weren't strapped down or anything.

Yeah- I will definately be pushing to hold DD right away if I end up in this situation! They can weigh and measure her later!

I'm pretty sure strapping your arms down is standard practice unless you specifically request them not to.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options

I had to have a spinal block last January when I had to have an emergent D&C.They chose this option for a couple reason, one being I did not already have an epidural in. They laid me on my side and basically gave me a shot of medication through my spine. I was numb for maybe about 3 or 4 hours (I was really out of it so I am not sure, but I never had to be catheterized so I am not sure.) I did have some lower back pain/pressure for about a week. From what I read this is typical with both spinal blocks and epidurals.

I plan on trying to give birth without an epidural. I think if that is your plan and you end up needing a c-section then this is a great option because they could do it so quickly in an emergent situation.

• Options
    imagesbevmc09:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagePrivacyWanted:

I'm pretty sure strapping your arms down is standard practice unless you specifically request them not to.

Do you happen to know the reasoning? I cant imagine that.... I think I would freak!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

With a spinal, it is just a shot but nothing is left in to continue administering meds. With an epidural there is a line left in to administer more meds.

I had a spinal with DS and besides some tugging I felt nothing. My hospital offers both and I will opt for a spinal again. They tend to wear off faster and you are generally allowed up more quickly, according to our tour guide last month.

I was allowed to hold DS as soon as he was checked and cleaned up. I will do the same this time unless some sort of complication comes up.

• Options
    imagesbevmc09:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagemest1215:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagemest1215:

Definitely ask about holding baby right away.  IME I wasn't able to hold DS for quite a while.  After he was born they took him over to the little warming table and did their various things.  Then he was given to MH to hold for a little bit and then MH went with DS to do whatever they do (I know that they gave him a bath and such).  He did snuggle DS up to my face so I could smell him and kiss him and such but I couldn't touch him otherwise because they had my arms strapped down to the table.  I honestly don't know how long MH got to hold him, it didn't seem like long, but everything was really fuzzy about my C/S after DS was out.  They gave me a shot of something to make me relaxed/woozy and I don't remember anything from after MH and DS left me to where my family met me back in recovery. 

Now, with that said, I didn't get to hold DS or try to nurse for over an hour after I had been back in recovery.  There were no complications, this was just standard hospital procedure.  Since then, I have found that you have options with this and can somewhat dictate what happens postpartum.  For example, they don't have to strap your arms down, you can do skin-to-skin immediately as long as there are no complications with baby, I've even seen some people say baby was allowed to stay with them the whole time.  I plan to meet with the OB that's part of my practice specifically to go over with him what my options are if I have to have another C/S.  I will absolutely have a written birth plan for both my labor and in the event of another C/S.  

And 100% ditto PP about it being important to prepare for every outcome even if you're not planning for it.  I didn't plan for a C/S, yet had one.  Even knowing that FTMs are looking at nearly a 1 in 3 C/S rate I just thought it wouldn't happen to me, you know?  It's a huge regret of mine that I didn't prepare for it.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience- this is all REALLY good to know. I think what I will do is give my doula my c/s birth plan in the event that it is needed.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagesbevmc09:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagePrivacyWanted:

Do you happen to know the reasoning? I cant imagine that.... I think I would freak!

I have no idea on the reasoning.  Maybe if they would have to knock you out totally from some reason they'd want your arms to stay on the table?  Or maybe people can have a bad reaction to the meds and they don't want them pulling IVs out and such?  I really don't know.  Obviously it doesn't have to happen.  I would imagine it's just another one of those things they do "just because" more than anything.  Or because there's like a teeny tiny chance that it could potentially be beneficial in some way.  It's pretty terrible, but I didn't know to ask that it not happen, you know?  Because I hadn't prepared for it and didn't even know that it was something they did.  

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options
    my arms were strapped down with both my csections. they said its hospital policy. So obviously it would be something either your hospital mandates or is allowed to be a little more laid back about. Not to freak anyone out...but i have to share this story since you were talking about being knocked out completely. While waiting to have my RCS (i had been started on my IV and all that good stuff, i was just waiting for an OR to be freed up), they wheeled some lady in next to me who was knocked out. and she started to wake up and the nurses were explaining to her what happened and she looked at her husband and said "what is it" and i remember him all teary eyed and saying "its a girl...shes beautiful". the nurses started explaining what happened to her. Apparently she'd never had a c-section before and her epidural was 'spotty', where she couldnt feel them poking her or anything, but as soon as they started cutting into the uterus the lady started SCREAMING and freaking out bc she could feel everything!! so they immediately knocked her out. i was crapping my pants after that lol. 
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagesbevmc09:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagePrivacyWanted:

I have no idea on the reasoning.  Maybe if they would have to knock you out totally from some reason they'd want your arms to stay on the table?  Or maybe people can have a bad reaction to the meds and they don't want them pulling IVs out and such?  I really don't know.  Obviously it doesn't have to happen.  I would imagine it's just another one of those things they do "just because" more than anything.  Or because there's like a teeny tiny chance that it could potentially be beneficial in some way.  It's pretty terrible, but I didn't know to ask that it not happen, you know?  Because I hadn't prepared for it and didn't even know that it was something they did.  

I wouldnt have known to ask either! THank you so much for sharing this me. I am really glad I asked you ladies about this!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemest1215:
    my arms were strapped down with both my csections. they said its hospital policy. So obviously it would be something either your hospital mandates or is allowed to be a little more laid back about. Not to freak anyone out...but i have to share this story since you were talking about being knocked out completely. While waiting to have my RCS (i had been started on my IV and all that good stuff, i was just waiting for an OR to be freed up), they wheeled some lady in next to me who was knocked out. and she started to wake up and the nurses were explaining to her what happened and she looked at her husband and said "what is it" and i remember him all teary eyed and saying "its a girl...shes beautiful". the nurses started explaining what happened to her. Apparently she'd never had a c-section before and her epidural was 'spotty', where she couldnt feel them poking her or anything, but as soon as they started cutting into the uterus the lady started SCREAMING and freaking out bc she could feel everything!! so they immediately knocked her out. i was crapping my pants after that lol. 

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My arms were strapped down during the surgery, which took all of a minute to get the baby out, but they quickly unstrapped them. I just had to keep very still. I got to hold my baby pretty much immediately.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think its standard procedure to strap down for any surgery. OR beds are very narrow and made to tilt as needed for the surgeon to have better access. Also, I think they really want to make sure you don't move at all while they are making a huge incision on your belly.
  • Options
    I was induced and had an epidural after hours of laboring. The epidural kept "shifting" and would stop working on half my body. Super awesome. Then I couldn't push him out so they had to do a c-section. Since my epidural was spotty they said they would have to do a spinal. Honestly I didn't care at that point, and once it was done, I immediately felt relief. BUT....while they were prepping me, I guess all of the narcotic medication that had accumulated in my spine caused me to not be able to move my diaphragm and breathe. I remember not being able to breathe and mouthing the words "I can't breathe!" Then they knocked me out in a jiffy, lol. I didn't see my baby born though :( This time I'm going to have another c-section and even though I've had one before - I wasn't really "present" and I'm anxious about what happens. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am so glad to read this post!  My epi did not work with my vaginal delivery last time and it was horribly painful because DD was sunny side up and stuck under my pelvic bone and I had to have a 4th degree episiotomy.  I handled the contractions without the epi ok but once we were pushing and with everything that happened it was horrible like thought I was dying horrible.  So that being said, OB thinks that I will likely need a C this time and my biggest fear was the epi not working again and being cut open!  Terrifying.  So glad there is another option.  I'll be opting for the spinal should that happen!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"