School-Aged Children
Options

mommys with new babies and siblings

How are your children adjusting to the new baby? we have a month old baby at home and my 5 year old seems to be adjusting pretty well and then she has her moments. Were she tells us she feels she cant do anything right and we love the baby more then her. From the beginning i wanted to make sure she was involved in everything. She came to the ultrasound, she was my sisters helper at our family shower, more so a sprinkle we had with my close family. She holds the baby and helps change pampers and we always try to let her help. She enjoys helping with pampers or picking out oncies ecs.... But she has been acting out a bit more lately just curious is mine the only one? How are you handling the melt downs. She has been wining like no one business. I know some of it has to do with it being her first year all day kindergarten so no naps meaning when she comes home she is sleepy but i don't know what to do at this point.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: mommys with new babies and siblings

• Options

No, yours is not the only one. DD turned 5 a month after DS was born and just started kindergarten. This summer was rough on her because we moved and with packing and the baby I was too tired and busy to take her places.

She was never much of a tantrum child, but she became very defiant. We're still working on it, but she's learning to adjust. I think a lot of it stems from trying to regain some control over her world. We also are a bit more snappish because we're tired, so I've tried to be aware of that.

The idea of she can't do anything right--DD has that too. Part of it I think is cause and effect from her learning and wanting to learn to do new things, but she just can't figure them out yet; and she gets herself in trouble the more independent she gets. We've worked on reminding her that 1) we will never stop loving her and 2) she doesn't have to be perfect as long as she does her best.

With the whining I ask her to repeat what she's said in a better tone. This works with sassing and just plain being rude. We make a point to show her how we speak to her politely, so we insist that she speak to us politely, in both word and tone.

Hang in there. Consistency, patience and a little extra attention will pay off.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"