August 2012 Moms

Putting down drowsy but awake?

I think we should start putting DD down drowsy but awake so that she returns to putting herself to sleep. She came home from the NICU knowing how to fall asleep on her own, since NiCU nurses obviously do not have time to rock every baby to sleep after every feeding. Since then, we have started holding her upright for 20 min after every feeding to prevent spit up. The problem is that she usually falls asleep during those 20 min, especially during the night, so that in turn has made her used to falling asleep in our arms. She can still sometimes fall back asleep on her own if she wakes up, but not always.

Do you manage to put your baby down awake? If so, how long do you hold them after they eat?

NOTE: this is NOT a CIO question. We pick DD up if she cries for more than a few seconds. I am solely talking about her putting herself to sleep when she is already calm. 

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Putting down drowsy but awake?

• I hold Amir for about 5-10 mins. Usually he would have burped by then but still be awake. I lay him down, give him his binky and usually he'll fall asleep. If he starts crying, I try burping him again to make sure he doesnt have anymore air bubbles then back down he goes. Sometimes it doesnt work but usually it does.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just started getting more consistent with putting her down awake. I'm talking like that last 2 days :) She did it on her own without any fussing friday night so i figured I would go with it and see what happens. Today I had to renuk her a couple of times, but overall, she did it on her own.

I wouldn't bee TOO concerned about it yet, but definitely try it first.

Oh, and I try to follow the sleep-eat-play routine, so even if she does fall asleep during a burping (which is rare these days) she almost always wakes up by the time we are done, or when I stop burping, because she is ready for her awake time then. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a lot easier to do at night then during the day for the same reason as PP said before, we follow the EASY routine during the day and he has a hard time going down after a good play session.  He fights it pretty hard.  But at night, when it is dark and he is swaddled, he usually will fall asleep before I even finish the swaddle.

• I personally don't have a problem holding my child to fall asleep. Self soothing to me is more important in the middle of the night and I'm not worried about that until about 6 months when they should be STTN.  

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Okay, so it's weird but DS will only do this at 7am after his bottle and for his 2pm nap. We do nothing different, but any other time, we have to rock him. I have no clue what the trick is. I do hold him after he eats for about ten minutes then lay him down, bassinet on vibrate, and just keep putting the pacifier back in his mouth if he gets fussy and he falls asleep. I think it's the vibration of the bassinet and the fact that it's after his Zantac bottle, so he's really tired. I rock him if he needs to be rocked. He's too young for sleep training or learning how to self soothe.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• We started putting our son down when he's drowsy or awake and he's done great with it!! I bathe him, feed him and rock him a little after the feeding (10-15 min) to make sure he doesn't spit up or anything!! I'm a worry wart about that, but we have a nap nanny that he sleeps in so he won't choke if he does!! If we rock him to sleep and then put him down, he wakes up so I highly reccomend putting your baby to bed when they're drowsy or awake (of course in a dark room with some kind of white noise going is what we use...I just have a scentsy night light in the room)
  • My baby is 6 weeks and we have been following the eat, play, sleep routine. She also needs to be upright for 20 mins, so that the start of playtime or sometimes all of playtime. I can always tell when she's done playing or getting tired and this is when I put her down for a nap. Possible diaper change, sometimes swaddle if I want her to nap in her crib....always pacifier which helps her soothe herself to sleep. She'll fight it for like 15 mins by grunting and wiggling and I always have to put her pacifier back in a couple times, but she's really doing it on her own which is my goal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"