Nurseries and Baby Gear

Registering for bottles?

How do you do this?  Do I just pick one kind and go with it? 

I plan to breastfeed for as long as possible (up to a year) and I assume will want to pump some too. 

Do I just pick a pump and the bottles that go with it? Or the bottles and the pump that goes with it?

I'm sooooo lost.

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: Registering for bottles?

• A Madela pump was given to me, so I decided to register for all Madela products. But keep in mind, there are other bottles that have the same thread pattern that will fit on different pumps (couldn't tell you what they are tho).

As it ended up, I would pump into Medela bottles, but then had to poor the milk into Playtex VentAire bottles because they are what was recommended by the lactation consultant because my LO is very gassy, they are also the slowest flowing bottles on the market.

You just never know! Keep the receipt! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker small
  • I registered for 2 packs of Dr. Brown's glass bottles because they were recommended to me. I also breastfeed and medela bottles came with the pump, but I transfer what I pump from the medela bottles into LO's glass bottles for the babysitter's. Pick a pump for your registry and most likely bottles will already come with the pump and I would also register for a certain brand of bottles.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My only piece of advice is to not register for too many - you never know if your baby will not like that particular kind.  My son ended up having really bad reflux, and we had started with Avent bottles and had to switch to Dr. Brown's.  I didn't BF, but many friends who did often commented that there kiddos were extra particular to a particular bottle type once they started using a bottle, so keep that possibility in mind as well.  Bottles are an easy thing to pick up down the road with a 20% BRU coupon or a leftover gift card.  As other PP's have noted - you usually get a couple with your pump purchase. 
  • The pump comes with a few, so you can try starting with those to see how LO does.  My DS did great with them, so we just stuck with the Medela bottles.

As PPs suggested, I would maybe pick starter packs from 2-3 brands (Advent natural, Dr. Brown's, Tomee Tippee) and keep them in the packages with the receipt.  If LO likes the ones with your pump, just return the others.  If not, you can start experimenting with the others one at a time.

Also, as PP mentioned- you can get the cheapie 3/$3 bottles to pump into/use for storage- they hold more milk than the Medela bottles and are much cheaper.

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pumped into medela bottles, stored in Lansinoh bags and fed from dropins. The dropins worked well for us and we never tried anything else. Some people have to try a few.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I registered for one type of bottle, and never used them.  I ended up returning all of them.  I started breastfeeding, so I purchased a single bottle of a few different brands and tried them out until we found one that worked best for LO.  Once we figured it out I purchased a whole bunch.  You never know if your LO will like the nipple or will get gas from the bottle, or will leak, or have too many parts for your liking, etc.  

I would suggest registering for a few and then figuring it out before getting a whole bunch. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"