Nurseries and Baby Gear

Diaper genie using regular trash bags

Has anyone ever tried using regular trash bags with the diaper genie?  I am wondering if it works or if its just a pain. 

I saw something like this on pinterest that made me want to research more:  

https://www.naptimecrafters.com/2012/09/diy-diaper-genie-refill.html

Sorry its not clicky. 

Thanks!  

Re: Diaper genie using regular trash bags

• I don't know if you can use alternate bags, but I DO know that diaper genies stink and there is pretty much no way around that no matter what you use. I have used them for several children I've nannied for in the past and would never want to use one myself as they are just too nasty.
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • I used a diaper genie for about 4 months with first child. The diaper genie bags were expensive, so we tried using regular trash bags to no avail. It just doesn't work. We started using a regular trash can with a tight lid that we kept in a closet and we wrapped each diaper up in a plastic grocery bag. That actually works pretty well for us and it's WAY cheaper than using the diaper genie which has been collecting dust for more than 2 years now. And honestly, the diaper genie, even with the appropriate bags, never did a very good job of containing the diaper smells. The trash can worked better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the DG elite and I like it.  Our cleaning lady has two kids and suggested putting one of those sticky air freshners inside it (Along the wall at the bottom) and it has resolved the smell issue.  I don't love the look of it, but it does the job for us. 
  • I understand some peoples dislike for the diaper genie, but thats not what i'm asking for here.  I am simply asking if anyone has successfully tried one of the methods found on the internet for using regular trash bags.

We were given one second hand and intend on using it.   

• We started using the trash bags, but I think there's a constant smell now. I never smelled much with their bags unless the genie got left open. 
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNJshore40:
    I understand some peoples dislike for the diaper genie, but thats not what i'm asking for here. nbsp;I am simply asking if anyone has successfully tried one of the methods found on the internet for using regular trash bags. We were given one second hand and intend on using it. nbsp;nbsp;

I'm trying to figure out how you'd do this. The way that the bags are dispensed makes me not understand where you'd attach a trashbag otherwise. Also not what you asked... But the refills last so long it really isn't as big of a deal to buy them as I thought it would be, especially with amazon subscribe and save.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedrpayne:
    imageNJshore40:
    I understand some peoples dislike for the diaper genie, but thats not what i'm asking for here. nbsp;I am simply asking if anyone has successfully tried one of the methods found on the internet for using regular trash bags. We were given one second hand and intend on using it. nbsp;nbsp;
    I'm trying to figure out how you'd do this. The way that the bags are dispensed makes me not understand where you'd attach a trashbag otherwise. Also not what you asked... But the refills last so long it really isn't as big of a deal to buy them as I thought it would be, especially with amazon subscribe and save.

DH always does it, but you somehow wrap the trashbag around the dispenser that the genie bags come out of.  I personally agree that they really aren't that expensive. And as I said previously, they hold in the stink a lot more.

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"