May 2013 Moms

Craving meat

I'm not vegetarian, but I'm not usually very big on meat. I eat chicken occasionally, but that's about it. During my 6th week and then now again I'm just craving meat like crazy! When my husband orders steak at a restaurant, I drool over his food! I've been also drooling over bacon at the grocery store. I try eating low sodium turkey bacon occasionally, but I can't eat it everyday! I'm assuming that my body just needs more protein? I try to eat healthy unsalted nuts, but I don't want to eat too much because of the calories. Do you guys have any other suggestions on how to get more protein in my diet?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Craving meat

• You may be low on iron.  When blood increases in pregnancy this is pretty common.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You may be low on iron. I don't eat red meat (or pork). The days leading up to my positive pregnancy test and the first week after all I craved was red meat. So much so that I broke down and had 3 burgers in about 10 days. When I went to my OB to confirm the pregnancy they checked my iron and it was low!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ooh, that could be it! Any suggestions on how to get more iron in my diet? I know that apples have a lot of iron, right?
  • According to my theory, you are having a boy: I swear craving carbs = girl and meat = boy.
    Seriously though its more likely you are low in iron.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I'm a vegetarian and have been for 4 years! Today H ate steak and fried rice and I was hovering over his food! I tried eating chicken about a year ago and got so sick... I know for sure I'd be so sick if I had given into my craving today!

• imagejesselayne8:
    According to my theory, you are having a boy: I swear craving carbs = girl and meat = boy.

Haha, my husband would LOVE your theory! :D
  • i'll bet your body is craving iron.  Your blood volume will increase by half and you body needs lots of iron to help fill the new plasma with red blood cells.  Indulge in some red meat.  Just make sure it is thoroughly cooked.
  • ditto what everybody else said about iron.. if you're not a vegetarian is the main reason you don't eat red meat health reasons?  If you're craving it, give in and have a piece!  I've been craving burgers, like *real* burgers.. and I've given in every time ;)
  • Spinach is high in iron, but I know that red meat has much more. I had to have a steak last night, and it was fabulous!  Listen to your body, it knows what you need more than you do :)
  • Apples have next to no iron. But spinach and other leafy greens do, and certain beans, and good ole' red meat- why not just order the steak? You're craving it for a reason!
    September '15 siggy challenge: Happy Dance
    dancing,ron swanson,gifs,drunk,funny
  • When I was pregnant in the spring, one night I came home from work and said to DH, "Baby wants STEAK." We went to a local restaurant and had one and it was so delicious. I believe the wisdom about the body needing certain nutrients when we crave things!
    Married to the love of my life for 3 years :)
    First pregnancy - blighted ovum, miscarriage at 10 weeks, Apr./May 2012
    Second BFP 9/19/12 - Hoping for our Rainbow Baby! :)

imageimage image
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm vegetarian and oddly enough have bad meat cravings too. To get extra iron and protein I make a smoothie everyday with frozen raspberries, Greek yogurt, tons of spinach, an orange to help absorption, and a little honey. Also, beans my staple have a lot of iron and some protein. And giving in here and there won't hurt.
  • I'm a vegetarian and also had a huge meat craving. I finally caved and had a steak which I haven't had in so many years I can't even remember, but it was awesome. I've been doing better but if my body craves something during pregnancy, I eat it, even if it means I can't be a vegetarian while pregnant.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• I kind of disagree with the PPs that a craving automatically means your body needs a certain nutrient. People crave potato chips, french fries, and candy. Is your body telling you you need more sugar?

Sorry if I'm being abrupt, but I think in some cases it can be legit, but in most cases a random craving is just that...random. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the calories now.  You need extra calories.  Just watch your weight gain to make sure it is stable and not too much.  I've been eating like crap and not working out enough but my weight has been stable so I'm not overly concerned.

And like everyone said, the biggest non-meat source of iron is spinach. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejesselayne8:
    According to my theory, you are having a boy: I swear craving carbs = girl and meat = boy.

Hmmm....girl for me then! DH will be disappointed...the Chinese Gender Chart said girl, too. Haha.
    BabyFruit Ticker>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel like I have been eating tons of red meat since pregnant. My doc said my iron levels were great. I talked to a nutritionist friend and he said that consuming red meat while pregnant is good and it's normal to crave it. For iron and protein. Considering how much your blood volume is increasing, red meat is good. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks everyone! I will try to eat more spinach and allow myself to indulge in an occasional steak! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"