Health & Exercise
Options

Anyone here Crossfit?

I'm just curious if there is anybody out there who is pregnant and doing crossfit or who did crossfit throughout their pregnancy.  

I have been doing it for about a year and a half and just found out I'm pregnant with twins. :)  I have the ok from my doctor to continue for now but I've really cut back on the weight I'm using and also slowed my pace quite a bit.

Anyone have experience to share? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Anyone here Crossfit?

• Options

My cousin (just had her baby 8/19) did Crossfit her entire pregnancy and ran a 15K 2 wks before baby due date.  I'm afraid to start at this point; I did, and do, P90X regularly.  My doc really recommends Crossfit during pregnancy, although she wants me to start out VERY light.  One of her clients was competed in the Crossfit challenges WHILE PREGNANT this past spring and doc does Crossfit herself.  I'm interested in hearing other's experiences as well. 

John & Katherine, sittin' in a tree, . . . . Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    There is a Crossfit Mom website where they write their own wod's specifically for different skill levels.  So you could try their beginner wod's if you feel comfortable.  They have a page on facebook, too.  I've been reading on their page to see when to stop certain movements and when to substitute some exercises for others.  It's a great resource!  You should definitely check it out if you are considering starting it up!  Especially because you have your doctor on your side!  I would love if my doctor did Crossfit :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have not tried Crossfit, nor am I pregnant.  However, I am absolutely intrigued by it, a doc I worked with a few years ago first mentioned it to me and I see more and more people are getting into it.  I follow several different people on instagram that have made their accounts fitness-related...including some that are crossfit related.  Maybe once this boot camp class I'm currently taking isn't so rough on me, I may get the courage up to try it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love it!  :)  I say don't be afraid.  You most likely will get your butt kicked pretty good.. but that still happens to me on a very regular basis doing Crossfit.. haha.
  • Options

I've been crossfitting since July 2010, and have kept up with 4 workouts per week during my pregnancy. I haven't had any issues, though I have had to sub out certain movements as I progress in my pregnancy. I really give a lot of credit to Crossfit for how great I have felt this pregnancy! 

It's great to feel strong and healthy when your body is changing so much - the hardest part for me was being 'ok' with scaling down the weights and getting used to being slower. Once I got over that hurdle, the rest has been cake :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imagetesselizabeth:
    I love it!  :)  I say don't be afraid.  You most likely will get your butt kicked pretty good.. but that still happens to me on a very regular basis doing Crossfit.. haha.

I see Crossfit stuff everywhere...what exactly do you do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Options
    I did crossfit for a few months into my pregnancy (like 4) and would've continued if it wasn't for my back problems :(  I loved it and felt that without my bad back I would've kept up with it throughout my entire pregnancy.  Just do what you feel comfortable with.  I changed my running to rowing (to take pressure off the back) and my pull ups downgraded to using a band (much to my dismay!) and instead of sit ups or anything lying on my back I did planks or something similar.  It still works and i'm sure you'll have a much better labor because of it.  I treated all my pushing like a crossfit workout and my nurses were impressed! lol 
    photo 82cd8793-783f-431f-96f0-fcca1084a640_zpsc15e5cb6.jpgimage"Daisypath"> Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

photo d5624905-a6b6-418f-b278-83e809b23a24_zpsd0363f36.jpgBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Congrats on having TWINS!!! So exciting! :)

I am 34 weeks pregnant and have been doing the WODs on crossfitmom.com about 3 - 4 times a week and absolutely LOVE them!   Check out the page and read through everything: the warm-up (the far right of the page), scaling, substitute exercises (sadly, no more box jumps or double unders for us), the different demos and what you need to change up in each trimester.  Obviously you might need to be a little more careful with twins, but at least for me, working out has helped me keep my energy up (when normally this is about the time where most people get exhausted).  And good call cutting back on weight and slowing your pace - the goal when you're doing crossfit when pregnant isn't so much the intensity, but concentrating on strength and keeping your body healthy.

Good luck!  Here's to a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy!

• Options
    My sister is pregnant and crossfitting... the coach researched for her, and has been making the allowances for her.  It can be done...
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options

I kept up with crossfit till I was 38 weeks.  I gradually modified more over time, but didn't drastically reduce weight right away.  I also kept up my running until about 35 weeks.  I am so happy I didn't slack off, I am 2 weeks pp and am about 3 lbs from my pre-baby weight.  Most of my clothes fit fine too, just the skinny pants are a wee bit snug in the waist and I had a c-section which still has a little swelling. 

I just checked in at each doctor's appointment on if there were any certain moves I should not be doing at that point.   My crossfit gym has had a ton of pregnant ladies at it recently so the trainers were used to coming up with modifications, also after awhile I knew when to modify the workout and often came up modifications on my own. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I quit a box when I changed jobs, and then got pg (last time) shortly after, so I just did my own crossfit exercises at our little company gym following crossfitmom.com.  You can scale as needed.  I did this through my entire first pg, and felt fabulous!  Gained 24lbs, felt great, no crazy pg pains/swelling, had a fairly easy L&D and recovery, and was back in my old jeans a few weeks pp.  I still used more weight than the typical doctor would recommend (they all have crazy ideas that we can't lift more than 20lbs...right.  My DD is 23lbs), and I got weird looks while I was running or doing deadlifts, but whatever. 

Now with baby here, I have been awful about a regular gym routine and I sorely miss it.  Now that I'm pg again, I know how important working out is and how it made me feel and I am more determined to get back into a routine.  I think it will be good for all of us: me, new baby, and DD (and of course, MH :))

• Options
    imagePayolaCrayola:

imagetesselizabeth:

I see Crossfit stuff everywhere...what exactly do you do?

We do a ton of different stuff-running, rowing, Olympic weight lifting, some gymnastic movements, body weight movements.  I say do a little research and find a place nearby and go check them out.  A lot of them will let you come check it out for free to see if you might like it before you join.  Also, there are a lot of videos on youtube where you can better see an example of what is done in a typical workout. :)

• Options

I have been crossfitting about 2 years and have kept it up during my pregnancy.  I am currently 23 weeks and so far it is still going great.  I mostly follow the crossfitmom  website and continue with advanced workouts or regular (scaled) when I can.  Running in my warm-up and WOD's are starting to feel a little weird but I just purchased a Gabriela belt and will try it soon (not too big yet).  I am pretty much the first pregnant (regular) crossfitter at our box so any advice is appreciated!:)

• Options

i crossfitted about two years (miss it terribly!) and quit the box when we moved 45 mins away.  now that i'm pregnant and not working out at all, i'm convinced i'm extra tired and i think crossfit would help so much.

that being said, my first thought about subbing out moves would be no burpees! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"