March 2012 Moms
Options

Are you for or against a walker?

Eeewww! So controversial! I'm torn and trying to decide. Please help me! My MIL bought the LO a walker. On one hand I had a walker and guess what, I still learned how to walk. On the other hand I have heard this can slow their ability to walk on their own. Not sure what I want to do??? What are you doing?

Re: Are you for or against a walker?

• Options
    We are not getting one because of safety. We have lots of stairs and we have hardwoods with a big area rug. I can imagine running into the rug and tipping over.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

My dad bought one for Claire. We use it almost daily. She cant go foward just yet but scoots backwards.Im always in the room that she is in when she is in it. We do not have any stairs or carpet in the house. I didnt know it was an issue to have a walker. It seems like all of my friends with LO use them.

photo dff9bed9-7fbe-40aa-8c84-b6edd300a153_zps405bb8c9.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Didn't know it was controversial. lol.

We don't have one because of the layout of our house. We are putting a gate at the top of our stairs but we have mostly carpet and and a small house so no place for her to really use it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    I don't plan on using one for LO. Because A) I've been told they slow down walking. B) Safety issues. We have stairs here and where our carpet ends isn't flush with the kitchen flooring. So it would limit him to our living room which isn't that big. So he wouldn't have much room. We just have the jumper and he loves that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecountrygrl5533:
    Didn't know it was controversial. lol.We don't have one because of the layout of our house. We are putting a gate at the top of our stairs but we have mostly carpet and and a small house so no place for her to really use it.

Leave it to a SAHM!! Lol! There was a segment on the today show that these are no longer a necessity with children and its a waist of money to purchase them. Also, my sisters pedi told her not to use one because its kind of a lazy or comfortable tool. 1 The baby gets use to the support and being catched with a walker so it will hinder them walking on their own without them knowing if they fall they might not have a seat around or under them. Ultimately they do not walk as soon as they could without one. 2 If a parent doesn't sit the walker up high enough the child gets lazy thinking they can push off the ground and the walker will take them where they want to go causing children not to burn off as many calories as they could a day without it.
  • Options

We have a walker and LO loves it! WE use it daily during dinner. He scoots all around following the dogs.I am SO not worried about it slowing down his walking or anything like that because we all learn to walk at or around 12 months anyways.

Our LO also has an exercauser. I can tell you that he likes the walker more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imagecountrygrl5533:

Me neither! We're not getting one because we rent a small house and there just isn't room. Ditto for a high chair. We got a claw chair we could attach to the table without losing more floor space.

• Options
    imageabocha:
    imagecountrygrl5533:

Me neither! We're not getting one because we rent a small house and there just isn't room. Ditto for a high chair. We got a claw chair we could attach to the table without losing more floor space.

Love the claw chair. We also take it out to eat for space saving purposes along with familiarity, comfort and hygiene purposes! Could be the best investment ever!
  • Options
    I didn't want one but MIL bought one for LO. So he uses it. I keep it in one room and to be honest he isn't in it very often.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have one and use it daily, though not for terribly long stretches of time.  I mostly put DS in it while I'm making dinner because he can scoot around the kitchen (the only non-carpeted area of our house) and I can keep an eye on him but he's still somewhat mobile, yet contained (if that makes any sense).  I hadn't heard anything about it hindering walking.  In fact, one of my friends has one and her DS1 used it a ton and walked at 10 months.  Granted, it could be a total coincidence, not necessarily because of the walker, but obviously it didn't slow him down any.

As for people who are worried about stairs, the newer walkers have a brake type device that doesn't allow them to go down stairs, which is pretty cool.  Our house is one level, but I still tested it out before putting DS in it and it was impossible for me to push it down a stair.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    We have one from the Big Girl; if DH will get his crap picked up, the Little Girl will use it some. Big Girl walked around 11 months iirc, so it didn't seem to hurt her. Plus, we don't really have stairs or carpets so I don't have to worry about that. I will have to make sure that Big Girl doesn't push Little Girl into stuff...
  • Options
    I did not want one for LO for safety reasons but my MIL bought him one for a baptism gift. It is a cheap Walmart brand and I am not happy about it but I feel bad because she was so excited so I put him in it when she is around. Luckily she doesn't come around much!

TTC#1 12/09
    LO #1 3/12
    TTC#2 9/12
    BFP #2 6/14 ended in CP
    BFP #3 12/14
    DX CCAM @ 20w
    Baby girl EDD 8/22/15

• Options

imageMrsJetSet:
    We are not getting one because of safety. We have lots of stairs and we have hardwoods with a big area rug. I can imagine running into the rug and tipping over.

Speaking of tipping over. DH's parents were always ahead on tech, and they have a bazillion home movies. We were all watching one of the discs from when DH was 1 (I wasn't even born yet).  He was in a walker outside and got to the edge if the IL's driveway and fell right on over.  The video cut out, and when it came back in, you see little DH with a big grin full of dirt.  XD

Haha.  Super funny, but the fall looked so sad because his little legs were dangling.

Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imageMrsJetSet:

same here, the layout of house, he would probably crash into a lot of stuff, and we have to many stairs..and I remember when I was about 8, my brother and I were playing and we left the door open in the kitchen that goes to the basement stairs..and little brother fell down four stairs in the walker...we got in SO much trouble, and ever since then I have been paranoid with kids and stairs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options

If you have stairs in your house that LO could fall down I would say no. When I was a baby my parents had a trilevel and I fell down the stairs in my walker and broke my collar bone.

When my DS was a baby I had read the research about it delaying walking so I never got him one. He walked at 16 months. With DD, I got her one. She doesn't use it that often becuase she doesn't really like it. She would much rather be on the floor practicing her crawling. I say if your baby likes it and if your house has room and no stairs to possibly fall down, go for it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"