Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

New to the board - toddler pushing issue

Hi all, I am brand new to the board as my son just turned 2 yesterday =)

My son has been in the pushing "phase" for a few months now.. I'm starting to think its not just a phase anymore and I need some advice from anyone who has gone through this with their 2 year old.  He will just walk up to kids, friends or strangers, and push them - sometimes hard sometimes not so bad.  Every time he does it I tell him no and its not nice and we don't push, he will say he's sorry but then do it again.  I then put him in time out for 2 minutes and reiterate that we don't push.  However this just isn't working.  Last night he pushed his friends about 10 times, each time we told him no and put him in time out.

Any advice would be graciously appreciated!!

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: New to the board - toddler pushing issue

• Options

Two questions:

Why is he doing it?

What is the consequence?

Is he doing it because he's frustrated?  Because he wants to play with something they have or be in a space they are in?  Is he doing it because he's bored?  Is he doing it to get your attention because you're interacting with other parents and not him?  Is it something else?  What does your gut tell you?

You say that you tell him no (which amounts to approximately zero as a consequence for the vast majority of toddlers) and put him on a time out (which amounts to approximately zero as a consequence for some toddlers).  So what is really his consequence?  He pushes someone (which is fun/rewarding, or he wouldn't do it), he gets a word from you and you march him to somewhere and he has to stay there until he can get up and do it again.  From his perspective, so what?  Clearly, this consequence is irrelevant to him.  So how do you change it?

Personally, in this situation, I would have started similarly to you, and I would give one warning. ("DS, pushing is not ok!  It hurts and can be dangerous.  Use words instead please.")  Then one warning + consequence. (Repeat the statement above, and add "If you do that again, you will have a time out.")  Then follow through.  But you say he does it again.  So, the time he does it after the time out, I would make sure the consequence keeps him from being able to do the behavior again (Repeat statement above, add "If you do that one more time, we will leave.")  And if he does it again, leave. I know it's annoying, but giving him 10 opportunities to push his friends is silly.

I would add, if I have to escalate a consequence, I never go backwards.  So, the next time you are in that situation another day, the first consequence is leaving.  If it's in your own home, maybe it's removing him to another room (but for a long enough time that he really misses on being out with other people, if that is something he likes).

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

He really isn't pushing for any reason in particular, sometimes its because he wants a toy, and other times its completely random and he'll just walk up to a kid and push them.  You bring up a good point that I never thought of before - It may be that he's trying to get my attention because I'm interacting with other parents...

This most recently happened at our home, so telling him that we would leave wouldn't have worked, but your idea of just taking him inside for a while away from the kids is good.  I also didn't think of that.  I think I was just so frustrated and confused I didn't know what to do.  And elevating the consequence for continued pushing is something we haven't tried yet.

I really appreciate all the advice, I am definitely going to try your tips.  Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Only advice I have is to always have a consequence and never make light of it. Especially if he isn't doing it for any obvious reason. DS is a "hitter" so I understand your struggle. Haven't figured that out yet either...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would firmly grab him by both arms and say " NO. NO Pushing!" in a very stern voice while looking in the eye and sit him in time out right after he does it every single time.

It will take many times.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sam is a biter, so I know where you're coming from.  We have to be strict, stern, and consistent whenever it happens, and always look out for triggers as to what may cause the pushing.  For Sam, the biting happens when she's frustrated, overtired, and more often than not, provoked.  We remove her from the situation, firmly tell her "NO" to the biting, and keep her in time out.  The biggest thing though is consistency... any and everyone who is watching her knows she bites, knows what can set it off, and if they see it they know how to react.  It's been getting better, so as pp said, it just takes time...
    Accidental Smiles
    updated 10.03.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

thank you everyone!  so far we have been consistent and always tell him no, remove him from the situation etc.  I guess we just have to keep on it and eventually it will get better.

Yes 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"