Pregnant after 35

Ladies with "a crowd in the balcony," I need bra advice

So.... I'm normally a DD. I have been since I was 15 and weighed a whopping 135 lbs. No matter what weight I've gained or lost, I was always the same bra size.

Until now. My boobs are getting bigger. I am barely fitting them into my sports bras and they are squashed a bit painfully. I swear, it looks like I have one boob that I just parted down the middle. I don't want to spend a ton of money on bras, but if anyone has suggestions-- does it make sense to buy a nursing bra or two, since I'll end up using it through the pregnancy and afterwards, or are my boobs just going to keep on growing to the point where I may end up going up more than just a size?

Thoughts? Experience? This is my first time going through this, so I'm clueless!

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
        -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
<br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: Ladies with &amp;quot;a crowd in the balcony,&amp;quot; I need bra advice

• I am a 34 DDD normally and, like you have been since I was a size 4 in high school.  During the first tri of my last pregnancy I grew to a 34 H.  I purchased a couple good bras at a speciality store and I was able to get all the way through the pregnancy with those and a bra extender by the last couple of months.  I wouldn't recommend buying your nursing bras yet because I don't even want to tell you how big you will be when your milk first comes in.  I waited until week 38 until I bought nursing bras and even those were tight the first couple of weeks when the milk came in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You def need to be comfy but your boobs will grow more before it's all said in done...especially when your milk comes in.  The first time around I think I bought a couple of nursing bras that were slightly too big and used those after DS was born too.  Right now I am in sports bras 24/7 trying to hold out as long as possible so I don't have to buy a bunch of different sizes.

Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • It's different for everyone, so it's tough to say how much you'll grow.  I'd probably hold off buying anything until the end of the 1st tri, and then I'd just go ahead and buy a couple of regular bras in a bigger size.  Then when you get close to your due date, reassess and start looking at nursing bras in whatever size you are then.

Your boobs will grow when your milk comes in, but that will diminish over the first couple weeks, so I don't think you necessarily need to wait until that happens.  

And, as I mentioned before, everyone is different.  My boobs were never large to begin with, and with my daughter I sure hoped they'd grow!  But nooooo....I started out as a B cup, then I think I maxed out somewhere between a B-C.  It was never enough for me to feel the need to buy new bras.  Oh and here's something else no one tells you about....once you're done with pregnancy and nursing, your boobs might actually end up SMALLER than before!  My former B-cups are now A-cups, and for that reason I did have to buy all new bras once I stopped nursing. Oh the joys...;)

Melissa

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Start at a specialty store or high end dept store (Nordstom, Bloomies) to get sized and buy one right then to alleviate discomfort. Then go online to Bare Necessities to buy a couple more. They discount heavily, have free shipping and many extended sizes. I don't know what I'd do without that store!
  • imagebeforesunrise:
    Start at a specialty store or high end dept store (Nordstom, Bloomies) to get sized and buy one right then to alleviate discomfort. Then go online to Bare Necessities to buy a couple more. They discount heavily, have free shipping and many extended sizes. I don't know what I'd do without that store!

ROFLMAO! Oh, that was a good one! Sorry, I live in Maine. We don't have any high-end department stores. There's a Macy's about 45 minutes away, but it's tiny and I've yet to meet anyone there who knows how to size anyone for bras.

I will, however, maybe stop by the Lane Bryant and see if they have something that might fit. Then I'll just buy the one for every day wearing. I have to special order my sportsbras, though, online because they don't sell anything in my size in the stores and I can't wear underwire at work... I also found one online from a Canadian retailer that responds to your body heat and expands in the cup size as needed (just a little bit, not like a whole cup size difference, obviously). So I might try that, depending on how much it costs.

Thanks, Ladies!

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• I completely understand! I was concerned that I was the only one!!

I went to Motherhood and grabbed 2 nursing sports bras, now keep in mind that of course I have uniboob all the time when I wear them, but I definitely feel like the girls are safely tucked away and they hurt a lot less...until I take the bra off. Once they are free, they hurt again Sad

But I am certain that is about the only thing that helped me through the early portion of my pregnancy.

Neely
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"