October 2012 Moms
Options

Circumcision... Deposit?!

We're having a boy and plan to circumcise him. OB office at last appt asked if I had paid my deposit yet... Umm I have insurance?! Apparently they charge 300 for it and then if insurance covers it they will send you a check or apply it to your outstanding balance whatever you overpaid.

Anyone else have to do this too? I think I'm going to call insurance co and ask if after baby is born if they pay for it and go from there. But I know OB office is going to grill me tomorrow again. Weekly appts suck! Lol
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Circumcision... Deposit?!

• Options
    I have never heard of this..
  • Options
    i've never heard of that! I would definietly call your insurance company before meeting with your OB
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is the weirdest thing I have heard. I know that on either coast, the circumcision rates have gone down a lot (especially recently) but I can't imagine insurances already dropping it as a covered service. Let us know!
  • Options

imageLauraT25:
    Two things: not all insurance plans cover circumcision, and it's not THAT uncommon to pay upfront for lots of baby-related services.  I have to pay upfront for my midwife appointments and the midwife delivery, and the estimated cost is just based off of the % my insurance covers, not the 'negotiated amount', so I'll be getting a refund once my insurance adjusts the charges.  Sounds like a similar thing here.

Typically that happens if it's out of network and as far as i'm aware insurance companies still cover circumsisions - unless there's been a change?...but seems like the OB accepts your insurance, so there's no reason for a deposit....someone correct me if i'm wrong lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, my OB is in network but I too had to pay the 20 upfront by 20w! That was shocking to me considering with DD they just billed me. Idk if its different state to state I had DD in WI this baby will be FL... Definitely weird though. Idk if its because its considered "cosmetic" and not necessary? I'd like to get ahold of insurance and have a quote or something to show OB and say yeah I'm not paying assuming insurance covers it. That or I'll just say yeah idk we might not circ... And then change my mind in the hospital.
  • Options

Our hospital requires you pay in full before the circumcision is performed -- guess they've been burned too many times. 

Does your pediatrician offer this service? I know there are more and more in our area that offer it, but have strict guidelines (such as insurance accepted, how old the baby is when its performed, etc). I bet the hospital would have this information -- mine does! 

• Options
    imageRochell:

imageLauraT25:
    Two things: not all insurance plans cover circumcision, and it's not THAT uncommon to pay upfront for lots of baby-related services.  I have to pay upfront for my midwife appointments and the midwife delivery, and the estimated cost is just based off of the % my insurance covers, not the 'negotiated amount', so I'll be getting a refund once my insurance adjusts the charges.  Sounds like a similar thing here.

Typically that happens if it's out of network and as far as i'm aware insurance companies still cover circumsisions - unless there's been a change?...but seems like the OB accepts your insurance, so there's no reason for a deposit....someone correct me if i'm wrong lol

All insurance plans are different, especially nowadays, as they are trying to tweak plans and coverage to keep costs down, so it's impossible to make a general statement about something being covered or not. Yes, that does often happen with out of network coverage, but it can happen for other reasons as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yeah, my work touches on insurance reimbursement (I work with hospitals in four states).  I have one physician group that charges patients up front for EVERYTHING and then reimburses the difference.  I believe the reason is that they're located in an area with a relatively smaller insured population and they don't want to be stuck footing the bill if something ends up falling to patient responsibility.

On a side note, we have insurance that would typically be considered excellent, but with my husband's last contract they made a few tweaks.  We just got a bill from the pedi for $97 for DD #1's last appointment, which was in September.  We are going to just pay it but our insurance is one of the PPO types that works on co-pays and we've historically had to pay $5 for office visits.  I think this $97 is because he's in a new contract year and the deductibles reset but I'm really not 100% certain.  It's just confusing. 

• Options
    Like PPs, many insurances do not cover circumcision as it is cosmetic and not medically necessary. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For this baby I had to pay up front the deposit and then see what insurance covered. For ds1 I didn't. I switched practices so I thought that was the diff.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My Ob made us pay a deposit for what they think will be left on our deductible after I give birth.  My husband asked his HR rep about this, and he said that it's within the Dr.'s discretion to do this, but it's a real pain in the butt.  So now we'll just pay the bill's after they go through the insurer and keep an eye on whether the EOB matches what the hospital bills.  It's just super inconvenient. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    At my 8 week appointment, which was my 1st appointment after finding out I was pregnant. I had to sign a sheet that said If I had a boy, and If I wanted him circumcised I would have to pay $319.00 up front and this may or may not be covered by insurance. .... at my 8 week appointment?! I'm like .. "we don't even know what it is yet!?!"  -- So to me, that sounds normal at this point.
    ?Married 11-1-08 ~ dxPCOS 9-1-11 ~ BFP 2-14-12 ~ T.J. born 11-1-12? Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Tanner James The  BoysWedding Shot
  • Options
    Didn't have to do that with either of my boys, but my big question is why is your OB asking for the deposit??? The pediatrician does the circ, not the OB?
  • Options

imageSchrodenger:
    Like PPs, many insurances do not cover circumcision as it is cosmetic and not medically necessary. 

This!  In my case, with my daughter last time around I was pretty upset to know that with my insurance circumcision WAS covered, but a breast pump that would have helped with her feeding issues was not. Now at least breast pumps are covered at 90% though:)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"