Babies on the Brain
Options

Flu shots

First post here. Woo hoo!

I'm definitely taking a flu shot this fall, but here's my question: Should I wait until I know I'm pregnant (or at least after another couple of months) or go ahead and get one now? We're TTC, but I want to be sure the immunization lasts long enough to protect a baby if we're lucky enough to get a BFP soon. What are you ladies doing?

Re: Flu shots

• Options
    Each OB will have a different opinion. I had mine before getting PG. ask your PCP or OB good luck.
  • Options
    I don't get a flu shot, so..
    But, I wouldn't wait until you're pregnant if you actually want one.  You may go through the whole flu season without being pregnant, so there's no point in waiting.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Get yours now.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options
    If you do get KU soon your baby will be born after flu season so you might as well get it now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got my flu shots when I was pg and in the 2nd tri. Since you aren't currently pg and you don't know if you will be this flu season, I would get it.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Just get it now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am getting one but I almost have no choice. At my hospital if you do not get one you are required to wear a mask in all patient care areas. But overall I would still be getting one
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options

I don't think waiting will make a difference in terms of protection for the baby. It is my understanding that it's not that the flu vaccine will be come ineffective after ___ months, the issue is that the flu virus itself changes every year. There are many different strains and they are always changing. The vaccine changes each year according to the predicted strains that will be floating around. So if you get a flu shot in March for whatever reason, they would still advise a new flu shot again in September/October because it's not the same vaccine anymore.

I'm not a nurse or doctor or anything, this is just my understanding of the flu shot. I think I'm going to get mine at the end of the week even though I should be in my two week wait. 

One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"