Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Waking up too early!

Ds sleeps decently at night, waking up between 1 and 2 times a night, but he wakes up every day between 4 and 4:30 and is up for the day. Generally dh will get up with him at this point and has instructions to "be boring" - no playing, smiling, etc. Just try to rock him back to sleep in a dark room with white noise. He cried for what seemed like ages this morning (I think it was about 30 and 45 minutes off and on) because he didn't want to go back to sleep. He had a dry diaper, wasn't cold, and wasn't hungry. We generally put him down to bed between 7 and 7:30, though we have tried as early as 6 and as late as 8. Nothing helps. He wakes up around 4 regardless of what time he goes down to bed. It's just a habit now. He's almost 6 months old and EBF. Any suggestions on how to get past this?? It's driving us crazy!! We've looked into CIO, but I am not sure it would help in this instance. What do you think?

Re: Waking up too early!

• You'll get lots of different opinions on this one. Here's mine, though you really have to decide for yourself:

We're in the same boat. DD sleeps through the night, but is up between 4 and 4:30. She goes down at 5:45 - 6:15; any later and she melts down. She used to sleep 'till 5:45 (which is when we all get up for the day), but has not shifted. I'm a proponent of CIO. We did it with DD to get her to stop a "I'm-going-to-wake-up-and-cry-six-times-within-the-first-hour-you-put-me-to-bed" habit. And we did it to get her to stop waking up 4 times a night around the 4 month wakeful. We didn't do it to get her to STTN; she did that on her own, thankfully.

Bottom line: It's your decision, but we're going to start doing CIO in the morning if this keeps up for another week or two. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    CafeMom Tickers
  • My DS was just doing this for about a month (he's just turned 9 months) and it was AWFUL. We tried everything-letting him cry, rocking him, feeding him, sitting up, putting on tv (so we wouldn't fall asleep) and then it just seemed one night he just stopped.

As pp said, you have to do what works for you. Try CIO and if it doesn't work then stop. We tried the modified version-go in at timed intervals, when we were sleep training and that worked. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • DS did this at about 6 months. It lasted a few weeks, then he started sleeping a little later and a little later. I'm in the method of following DS cues, though, we don't do parent led scheduling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO is also an early riser, I just get up and feed/play with him until he's ready for a nap and then I'll nap with him. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"