January 2013 Moms

Old wives tale about pregnancy and snakes

I saw a post earlier about the old tale about not putting our hands over our heads because the umbilical cord will get wrapped around the babies neck. I always think that's funny and my mother has warned me about it since the day she found out I was pregnant. So much so that now my SO is scared about it!!

Well here's another one from good ole mom. She's from the south and has a lot of these types of theories.

I told her that since the weather is cooler, I was going to pull up some of the overgrown weeds in her front yard and get some pebbles to put down so they won't grow back. She said she was scared that there may be snakes in the weeds because they're so tall and thick and she didn't want me to do it. Of course I asked why. She said because snakes follow pregnant women. And as I laughed, she insisted, with a straight face, that she saw this happen to a great aunt of mine, when she was younger. My mother was completely serious! So...beware of snakes! And don't raise your hands above your head! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Old wives tale about pregnancy and snakes

• This is a new one to me! There is a pond behind my apartments. I was walking the dogs one night after it had rained and watched a snake slither out into the parking lot. It scared the crap out of me but it seemed pretty content to stay far away from me and my yapping dogs!

My best friend is from Florida and believes that when there is fish in your dreams it means someone you know is pregnant. Another southern OWT I guess.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I love old Southern wives tales :) It's also said that baby always comes out looking the spitting image of their daddy so the man knows it's his baby, crazy but both of my girls did come out looking a lot like their dad lol. 
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I can see a theory behind the snake tale, since snakes seek heat. ;

My favorite ones are the cat tales. I love cats and sometimes think mine is evil enough to steal a soul lol
  • imagesugarprincessx:
    I love old Southern wives tales :) It's also said that baby always comes out looking the spitting image of their daddy so the man knows it's his baby, crazy but both of my girls did come out looking a lot like their dad lol. 

This is actually somewhat true. Not at always, but it is for the reason you said. Nature's DNA test I guess.  

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • When I was pregnant with DD, all my therapy supplies were stored on shelves above my head, so I was literally reaching above my head 20-30 times/day.  One of my co-workers freaked out, and explained the OWT to me.  She then stood outside my office all the time to get things for me.  CRAZY.

I'm from the south, but apparently not from superstitious people, because I heard most of these for the first time while pregnant with DD.  Although, I heard with the snakes that it was for nursing women.  They're after the milk.

• Hahahaha...That is one I have never heard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Um this is so creepy because twice I have thought I saw snakes while I was driving. The first time I actually swerved because I thought it was in the road...it turned out to be a branch.

The second time I just kept driving because I thought it was a branch...then my friend told me it was a snake and I totally hit it. 

Creeeeeepy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagestardust317:

Although, I heard with the snakes that it was for nursing women.  They're after the milk. 

YES! That's what she said as well! I forgot that part! It was a few weeks ago :) 

• I've never heard this one either. The hands above the head one was new to me as well!! People come up with some really creative things, lol. If we followed/listened to all of them we would be living in padded rooms with only water and bread!!
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thats terrifying. I. Hate. Snakes. Hate them. I saw one in the road today and if there hadnt been a cop behind me Id have swerved to hit it lest it end up near me.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • It kills me! Lol ever since I heard that I swear I have the urge to rest my hands on my head! It's like you tell the kid to not push the button and he just HAS to!!!
    ***Fall: Football, weather, decorations, and Thanksgiving!*** Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic <a href="http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/laurieheath/?action=view
  • The worst would be if you were weeding and saw a snake, and then raised your hands up over your head in alarm!!!  Oh my!!!
  • imagesugarprincessx:
    I love old Southern wives tales :) It's also said that baby always comes out looking the spitting image of their daddy so the man knows it's his baby, crazy but both of my girls did come out looking a lot like their dad lol. 

Yup - learned this one in evolutionary biology.  Dads are more likely to stick around and help care for the baby (so the babies had a better chance of surviving and passing on their DNA) if it looks like them.  Of course, that was in the days before we had the benefit of Maury. 

4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• I picked up a garter snake the other day (I'm a biologist) and it peed all over me.  I wonder what that means?!
  • imageReeceFamily:
    I picked up a garter snake the other day I'm a biologist and it peed all over me. nbsp;I wonder what that means?!

You scared the pee outta it of course lol.
  • imagestardust317:

When I was pregnant with DD, all my therapy supplies were stored on shelves above my head, so I was literally reaching above my head 20-30 times/day.  One of my co-workers freaked out, and explained the OWT to me.  She then stood outside my office all the time to get things for me.  CRAZY.

I'm from the south, but apparently not from superstitious people, because I heard most of these for the first time while pregnant with DD.  Although, I heard with the snakes that it was for nursing women.  They're after the milk.

Wait- since when do snakes drink milk?!  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"