Natural Birth

Castor oil question

I am wondering if any momma's have had success with naturally inducing with Castor oil if the head of the baby is not engaged?   The doctor says that I have started dilating and that my cervix is ready, but thinks the baby just needs to drop to get things moving.  He said he didn't even think I was quite at +3 station at our last exam. I know I didn't drop until labor with my son,  this baby seems to be even higher up than I was with my son though.  DS was born on his due date, and here I am 3 days past my due date and getting very impatient to meet my daughter.  I know she will come when she is ready, but my doctor has made me very nervous talking about c-sections due to her size if I go too long.  As of last Tuesday he did a u/s for size and she was 9 lbs 1 oz according to the u/s.  I know he is going to bring it up again next Tuesday and I would really like to go in to labor on my own, so that we don't have to discuss a medical induction or a c-section (that I would only take as an option if one of us was showing signs of distress).  

In the meantime I am working on helping her drop through squats, balance ball, walking, etc.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Castor oil question

• I never used castor oil, but I've heard it works for some, gives upset stomachs and liquidy bowels for others.
  • I personally wouldn't think of using castor oil at this point because of the possible negative side effects (i.e. dehydration, that can be very risky for labor!).  I would also disregard the doctor's concern about size considering estimates can be off by up to 2lbs either way.  That is, unless you have an underlying medical condition (like GD) that could cause you to actually grow a baby too large for your body.  Otherwise, people very successfully delivery 9, 10, 11+lb babies all the time (if your baby is even actually that size).  ACOG does not recommend inducing or sectioning based on size guesstimate.  Not something I'd worry about. 

Your EDD is just that, an estimate.  Babies come between 38 and 42 weeks, you still have plenty of time!  I know it's really hard towards the end though, just hang in there for a little longer!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • All Castor oil is is a strong laxative. The reason it "works" for some is because it draws large amounts of fluid into the intestines, causing liquid stools and dehydration. It is the dehydration that can stimulate labor for SOME (not all) women. Think about it this way, BH contrax tend to occur when you're not drinking enough fluids (hence the instruction to lay down and drink 2 glasses of fluids to try and get them to go away). Castor oil only seems to "work" when baby is in a good position (you're at -3 btw, not +3) and putting pressure on the cervix, and cervix is already ripe and conditions are right for labor. Dehydration can be dangerous and, IMHO, is not really worth the risk. Your LO will come when she decides she's done baking!

BTW engagement in FTMs can happen in the few weeks leading up to labor, while it doesn't usually happen until labor in subsequent pregnancies (as stated in my OB nursing textbook). So being at -3 station right now means nothing to you. GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used castor oil with my last pregnancy.  It did work ( I took it in the afternoon and the baby was born that night) but I also had pretty awful diarrhea before labor started.  It is very controversial, and I think most will tell you not to do it.  I wouldn't do it again, unless I was facing an induction or CS and had tried all the other natural methods to get things going.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have never tried castor. I prefer more "natural" methods. Walk a mall , have sex etc. One thing I did do last pregnancy was pineapple. Ive heard on a couple sites, pineapple does the trick, went to orange julius got a lg pineapple smoothie and that folling morning had a 2 hr labor and had her at home :) lol. Not planned to be at home but it went from 0-60 very fast and before I knew it little lady was entering this world.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"