November 2011 Moms
Options

Snakes?

I got a call from a family member today who has to get rid of her foot and half ball python. I used to really want one, but never had the opportunity. Now I need to talk to DH and get his opinion, but would you have a snake with a LO?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Snakes?

• Options
    No I wouldn't. I have heard of too many stories or babies being killed by pythons. Not a risk I would take.
  • Options
    I do not like snakes in my vacinity, so I would not have one.  I really don't think it would pose an issue if you have a proper habitat for it though.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am not a fan of snakes.... but I do know that depending on what kind of snake it can be a REAL headache. Maintaining temperature, feeding live mice, etc etc.... I wouldn't want to have to do it with LO around. Then there's also the safety issue as PPs have mentioned
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with it as long as you take care of the snake properly.  I had a Mexican Milk Snake in high school, and they are more work than people think.  It has to be something the whole family is into.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We also used to have one and I said once we had kids it would have to go. I am so not a fan of having a pet and getting rid of it, but it was DHs before we were married and I just would freak out too bad. I know the chances of it actually hurting a baby would be slim but I just couldn't never get comfortable with the idea.

It ended up dying before we were even married so I never had to deal with getting rid of it.

• Options

This post gives me the heebie jeebies! Personally, I would not want a snake anywhere inside my house ever. 

If you are able to take care of it and keep it contained away from your LO, it could work.  Maybe ask your vet and/or pediatrician for recommendations as to the best way to have a snake and LO in the house together?

Toddler Turtle - November 2011
    Baby Turtle - November 2014

• Options
    imageturtlewifey:

This post gives me the heebie jeebies! Personally, I would not want a snake anywhere inside my house ever. 

If you are able to take care of it and keep it contained away from your LO, it could work.  Maybe ask your vet and/or pediatrician for recommendations as to the best way to have a snake and LO in the house together?

That is an excellent idea! Thank you everyone.
  • Options

No, but I also don't like snakes! FI used to have one when he was a kid and has talked about wanting one again, I told him absolutely not in my house. But if I was a snake person, I might consider it if we had the money to drop on an incredibly expensive but secure enclosure because I know you can get some really nice ones. Snakes won't generally attack anyone, baby or otherwise if they're kept satisfied... I sure as hell wouldn't be playing with a hungry one!

We're going to get a bearded dragon though this month :) FI has been wanting one for years and finally got me to warm up to them, they are rather sweet and very chill. We were holding some at the pet store, it even tilted his head up to me like a cat while I scratched his chin, sold! lol

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"