Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Should we switch formula?

My son is 3 weeks 4 days old and for the past day or so he has been extra fussy and grunting a lot.  He seems to be very uncomfortable...especially last night, he did not stay in the crib for more than an hour at a time.  He isn't crying much, but just seems very uncomfortable.  Do you think switching formula would help?  He is currently on Similac Advance and I was thinking of getting Similac Sensitive.  TIA!

Quick addition: As my husband is feeding him, it seems as though he is struggling to burp...holds his breath...grunts and whines while trying to be burped.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Should we switch formula?

• if its only been going on for one day and he's been on that formula for weeks then formula isn't the problem. Also when you switch, you should do it slowly with one bottle of the new one the first day, then 2 bottles the 2nd day and so on. You really shouldn't just switch formula casually because its difficult on their tummys
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemindymaske:
    if its only been going on for one day and he's been on that formula for weeks then formula isn't the problem. Also when you switch, you should do it slowly with one bottle of the new one the first day, then 2 bottles the 2nd day and so on. You really shouldn't just switch formula casually because its difficult on their tummys

This. Also, I would always recommend talking to your pediatrician before switching formula just to get an expert opinion.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would also suggest just trying to do some random burping. Remember you don't always need to burp right after eating and either do they. If you do end up switching be prepared for him to be constipated for awhile. We switched one of our twins on to the spit up formula and he's been on it for a almost a month now and is just starting to have baby poop again. Their dr. told me it can take about 3-4 weeks for them to become regular again. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had the same problem with the Similac Advance and switched to Similac Sensitive.  We then switched to the Up & Up Sensitive.  $21.99 for 2lbs, as opposed to $24.99 for the large tub of the brand.  Good luck!!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I would definitely talk to your pedi before switching. My dd has reflux and cows milk protein allergy and the symptoms you described sound like how she started.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are now on Nutramigen and Prilosec.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageheathert1981:
    I would definitely talk to your pedi before switching. My dd has reflux and cows milk protein allergy and the symptoms you described sound like how she started.

My dr. is on look out for the cows milk protein allergy, we don't have reflux issues though, just exzema, which we are treating before we switch formula. Just wondering, did they give you a time frame if 'growing out of it?'

• Do you think he could have reflux?  Is he spitting up or arching his back?  Two of my DS had silent reflux, which is where the "food" is coming up but not out, causing pain and in my sons' cases nasal congestion.  Their little nasal passages were being irritated by the reflux and swelling causing them congestion, it sounded like they had a cold.  

Also DS3 has MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance), he was fussy (usually at night) had terrible gas, would squirm and grunt and was too uncomfortable to even sleep well.  I had to remove all dairy and soy from my diet (I'm BFing).  If this sounds at all like your LO I would talk to the doctor about switching to a hydrolysate formula like Nutramigen or Alimentum.  They are are broken down farther than "regular"  or even "sensitive" formula, into partial protein chains.   I would start with one of those and if it still doesn't seem to help at least two weeks after switching then you could try an elemental like Neocate where it is broken down completely into free amino acids. 

Here is more info on MSPI, reflux, and formula:

Common CMA Symptoms https://bit.ly/sYdNi5 

What makes Neocate special :https://youtu.be/Hoj4DtjE4zM

Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"