January 2013 Moms

One week bonding time with baby!

So I've finalized my tentative maternity leave plan! I'll be taking 5.5 months off then hubby will take 3 months off after I go back to work. However the time I'm really looking forward to is the uninterrupted 7 day bonding time hubby and I will have after our baby boy is born. I have a list of freezer friendly foods to make for hubby and I before LO gets here and while I'm breast feeding or resting hubby will help out around the house. My mom understands and respects our wishes however my MIL doesn't seem to be on board, which I'm not worried about but what are your plans after your little one arrives?

Re: One week bonding time with baby!

• My husband gets 3 days of paternity leave then flies back to Texas, and we all reunite when LO is 8 weeks old. Jealous does not begin to cover how i am feeling right now. Lol.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• We are doing the same thing only my DH is taking 2 weeks off right away. Then when I start the daycare back up (probably 4 weeks after delivery) he's taking another week off to help out. I have a Pinterest board full of recipes to make and freeze... Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am taking 12 weeks off, and DH is taking two weeks off plus two weeks at part-time. DS1 will got to daycare, so DH and I get a nice chunk of time to be at home together with the baby. We will probably have some family come visit during the time depending on when DS2 is born. There are the holidays, and then there is DS1's b-day in early Jan. MIL is coming towards the end of my maternity leave, and she will stay home with DS2 for a few more weeks, when I return to work, so DS2 is closer to 16 weeks old when he starts daycare. I'm pretty content with these plans.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DH is taking two weeks and my mom will come over for 10 days at some point after that (we live overseas).

Wish I had done the one week bonding time with our first. Too many people popping in at odd hours to see the baby. It was exhausting.

• I'm taking 11-12 weeks.  DH is going to take the first week off when LO arrives.  My mom is planning to come up from AZ but I'm hoping I can get her to wait 2-3 weeks.  I just want to figure out a few things like CD routine, BFing, etc. before I have company.  My ILs live about 30 mins away and I'm guessing they'll want to come by but I'm planning to have DH tell them we'll only be up for short visits and preferably after the first week.  We'll see how all of that goes over. ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTarHeelMomToBe:
    My husband is also only taking one week after the baby is born.nbsp; My mom will be coming the week after when he is back at work.nbsp; That way we get our family bonding time and my mom doesn't feel left out.nbsp;
    Are you close enough with your MIL to invite her over after your husband hasnbsp;gone back to work?nbsp;

My MIL will be more than welcomed to come over after hubby goes back to work however she's proved she has issues with boundaries. I don't like inexpected guests and she has the idea that I'm going to be at her house when she wants to see the baby. Now I will go over there for visits however I feel more comfortable being at home. My mom understands all of this. We'll see!

• DH gets one week off with the ability to go to half days for the next week which we will do if I end up having a c-section. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Sounds like you and DH have some great time with baby to look forward too. I love your idea of making freezer meals before baby arrives. DH and I talked just about buying a deep freezer just so we have extra storage to be able to do prepared meals.

As for my leave, I'll take 8 to 10 weeks and I've hoarded vacation and sick leave for a few years so most of my leave will be paid by using my leave. DH earns very little leave so the week or two that he takes off will be unpaid. We want him to take off that time though so we can bond as a family and enjoy our new little girl. I'm very excited about that time. 

• We won't be able to decide until closer to the time because of DHs 2 jobs and how it would work out with his vacation days, but tentatively he will take at least a few days off with me from his management job, but if he gets called to supply teach he will go, NBD. I don't mind having visitors right away but we won't have many I imagine. It's usually a tradition in my family for everyone to come together and visit in the hospital, but around my due date most of them are going to Cuba... They go at that time every year, so I imagine I will probably end up with a week or so to myself, then we'll take baby visiting afterwards.
  • DH will probably take a week off, but we don't have anything set in stone. Our family is local so they will just pop in and out.
  • DH is taking off 3 weeks when the girls are born.
    Katie-Married to David Mommy to Ben-11/11/05-6 Levi-4/23/07-5 Noah-6/6/09-3 and Mia-8/20/11-1
    Twin Girls-Eden Alyssa and Ilana Claire born 12.12.12! Lilypie First Birthday tickers My Blog
  • I will all depend on whether DH gets a new job between now and then.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

• My DH is taking the first week off and then he'll go back to work until my maternity leave is over (12 weeks). He'll then take an addition two weeks off to be with our LO. We have a couple family members watching her for a few weeks after that, then I'll be off for almost 3 months for summer break. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm jealous!

DH isn't getting any time off, so it's just gonna be me, and 18 month old, and a newborn alone for 10 or more hours everyday!

• You're taking 5.5 months off!?! Oh! I am so jealous! ;)

I'll be taking 14 weeks, because I get two bonding weeks. I'm not sure I'll take them all together, but whatever.

• It sounds like a really neat time you have planned with your newborn.  I'm glad that your mother is being respectful of your wishes.

Playing devil's advocate, I know how excited my MIL is about the baby.  I can't imagine asking her to wait 7-8 days before meeting her grandchild.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • imagegoofyteacher:

It sounds like a really neat time you have planned with your newborn.  I'm glad that your mother is being respectful of your wishes.

Playing devil's advocate, I know how excited my MIL is about the baby.  I can't imagine asking her to wait 7-8 days before meeting her grandchild.

We'll have 2 days at the hospital and the grandparents are more than welcomed too see the baby then. Its just 7 days...they'll have years to see their grandbaby!

• I get 2 weeks off from work for paternity leave.

So what we plan on doing is staying at home by ourselves the first week to try to get into a routine, our family bonding time, etc.

Then start allowing people to come over starting the second week.

We are planning to implement a "Don't call us, we'll call you" policy. And people will have a set amount of time they can be there, unless we ask them to stay longer- you must bring food haha, and helping us doesn't constitute monopolizing baby time. Helping us means actually, you know, helping us with house chores as well.

When my cousin had his kid, his entire immediately family kept coming over to "help" aka, hold the baby. I hate when people come over for baby time under the guise of "help". If you want to come over and just hold the baby- then say so. That way we are all on the same page and have the same expectations, you know?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Planning on taking my full 12 weeks of maternity here.  Will not return to work, instead will be doing some in home babysitting for 3-4 children. 

My SO works 14 days on and off and cannot take any time off except to maybe come home for the birth if he is away.  Bummed about that but we both have wonderful family and my parents are 2 miles down the street so my Mother will actually be taking some "grandparents vacation" time to help me out if SO is at work.  

I am bummed that SO may miss out on the first couple weeks but it will be nice when he gets to come home for 14 days at a time with nothing else to do but bond with LO.  We will get our fair share of family time!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMRSVELA07:
    imagegoofyteacher:

It sounds like a really neat time you have planned with your newborn.  I'm glad that your mother is being respectful of your wishes.

We'll have 2 days at the hospital and the grandparents are more than welcomed too see the baby then. Its just 7 days...they'll have years to see their grandbaby!

That makes sense, I was reading as though you would start that as soon as the baby is there.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"